Help! Bladder Problem

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jun 30, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I am besides myself today. I had to go to the urologist yesterday for an URI.

While there I got a bladder test done: a bladder scan

It turns out that my bladder is not getting all of the urine out.

Now the doctor wants to do a scope to look inside at the bladder.

I've googled and whatnot, but can not find anything that gives me an idea of what he is looking for. He said he was doing it because I might have some kind of bladder problem.

I am scared about this.

I am also in a flare and have to go to the pharmacy tonight to get the pain meds.

I called and told my sister. She wanted to know if was FM related (is it?).

One good thing: The doc, after reading my chart, turned to me and said: You have Fibromyalgia? I said 'yes' and he put his hand on my arm and said he was sorry because he knows how debilitating it is. (It was so nice to here a doc say that.

nyrofan
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2006]
  2. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

What a lovely doctor. Lots of us with fibro have bladder problems; my bladder drives me demented! It can affect the muscles of the bladder & urethra & also affect the mast cells of the bladder lining. You may have to be taught by a nurse to self catheterise to empty your bladder fully, in order to avoid infection.

There are several of us with fibro & CFS on the Interstitial Cystitis Network message board, which is run by nurses:
    http://www.ic-network.com/forum/index.php
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

smif & hall..

Thank you for the info. It is so relieving to know it can be FM related, especially since the doc really understands how bad FM is.

I was thinking of not going for the scope, but decided I better do it before things get worse.

I also have to have bloodwork done (foretting the letters).

Oh boy, the fun begins again. Does it ever end?

nyrofan

[This Message was Edited on 06/30/2006]
  4. mary124

mary124 New Member

It could be I.C. -- Check out the IC-network. I don't have fibro. or anything but I do have this, and up till recently, it was in the mild catagory, my doctor just told me after my last hydro it is "severe" . With all of my problems with it, he wants to me to go another uro who is the "local expert" to see if he can help me.
    When you have the scope, are you going to have it in the doctors office? or in the hospital? Having it done in the hospital is the best, because the doctors can tell if you have I.C. or not. Good luck and let us know.
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mary:

Thank you for the advice. I will check out the info.

The procedure is going to be in the doctor's office.

thank you,

nyrofan
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Good question Nyrofan, am interested myself. I have an E-Coli bacteria infection that settled in the bladder and can't take the meds for it.

Anyone know of a med that I can take that is not so strong, or an alternative method like herbs, vitamins, etc?

Would appreciate any advice.

Shalom, Shirl
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

To All:

Isn't it ironic that we share this common problem.

I am searching all over the net for a connection between FM and bladder problems.

Then I thought: the doctor told me FM is very debilitating and he felt sorry for me.

I go for the bladder scope on the fourteenth and get the results on the nineteenth.

Since he is FM literate; I am going to ask him point blank: can FM cause this.

I will report back. It looks like July is going to be a busy month. Two additonal doctor visits and headed out to the hospital for blood work.

Just when I thought things might calm down. And I am in a fare.

You all have made me feel so good in sharing your stories about what you have gone through and what could be or not be.

From the heart,
    NyroFan
  8. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Nyrofan: Sorry to hear you have to deal with more stuff!! Always something, right?!?! I think literally everything is sensitive in my body -- even my bladder and my never ending trips to the bathroom.

I just wanted to make a natural suggestion for those who suffer with frequent UTI's. I used to get UTI's ALL THE TIME and I cannot tolerate anti-biotics. This product has been a God-send.

It's called -- "EHB" and is made by NF Formulas, Inc. I hope you all can find this on the internet. I get it from my holistic practitioner. I works GREAT with no side effects :) I always have some on hand.

Other UTI tips off the top of my head: cranberry from concentrate; high vitamin C; no coffee or chocolate.

Good luck with your scope.

scapper :)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/01/2006]
  9. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Hi Nyrofan,

I too developed problems with my bladder and when the urologist did the test I was stunned to find out I was retaining urine especially since I had urinated 2X in the 30 minutes prior to the test.

My urologist listened carefully to my history of when my sx started - they began after a fall where I missed a step landing hard on the concrete on my buttocks. At the time I broke an ankle and sprained the other.

The urgency, frequency and incontinence that developed at the time of the injury I thought would go away. I was embarrassed to bring it up to workers comp and I didn't think a doctor treating my ankle could help me with that. AS the FMS developed after the injury I thought the urinary problems must have been the first signs of it as well and it was all interconnected to FMS since it was listed as a related condition.

It was over a year before I sought treatment for the urinary problems. I began to have pelvic and kidney pain that mimicked kidney and bladder infections and saw my FP doc. After he ran a few tests that were negative then he sent me to a urologist. Ironically at a recent appt my FP doc finally had some pamplets in his office about overactive bladder, I thought to muself where were those a year ago? I might have brought my problem up sooner if the brochure had been there. I was also seeing a brand new GYN and wasn't comfortable bringing it up with her yet either.

The end result was the urologist wanted me to see an orthopedic spine surgeon because he thought the fall could have damaged the nerves in my spine and that was causing my sx. His dx was overactive bladder. He started me on Detrol La and since that only helped a little he switched me to Enablex another med to stop the bladder spasms.

I made an appt with one of the top spine surgeons in my area. The MRI showed I had cervical spinal stenosis at the C5 level and he believed that was responsible for my bladder sx.

I had upper body pain/numbness/tingling as well in my neck, shoulders, and arms which I attributed to using the crutches. I even mentioned it to the 1st ortho doc at the time and since he was rushed he brushed it off as normal pain. In looking back I realized my upper body had been conditioned and strengthened daily through my job so the pain wasn't normal.

I also have constant lower back pain and the MRI showed DDD at the L5/S1 with an annual tear in the disk. You can't always blame all the pain on FMS because other things can be happening at the same time.

My spine surgeon made it clear that since so much time had passed there were no guarantees that a cervical decompression and fusion would work, but it may still help fix the problem. Both the urologist and spine doc said it could continue to get worse over time and the longer it goes on the longer the nerves remain damaged the less chances the nerves will heal. They both said at some point it could affect my bowels as well. The urologist felt I should go for the surgery since I was young (45), rather than suffer with the sx and wait and then have a health problem come up that would prevent me from having surgery.

I decided to have the cervical spine surgery and had it on the 13th of June. Since the surgery I have seen some improvement, but it still takes time for the damaged nerves to heal. With the spinal compression relieved I have been able to decrease my dosage of Enablex from 30mg to 7.5mg. At 15mg I was able to go every 2 to 2.5 hours even after drinking my 1 cup of coffee in the morning so I lowered it to the 7.5 mg last week. Now I'm back to every 45min to an hour.

My spine surgeon said the bladder nerves seem to be the slowest to heal. From what I've read damaged nerves in general heal at a rate of about an inch a month.

My point in sharing my story is be sure to let your urologist know if you may have any spine issues - neck, back or fall injuries because even a mild spinal compression on the spinal cord can affect your bladder nerves. A good urologist and spine doc will know this if they are paying attention and take a careful history. Also we can't blame everything on FMS because there are other causes to our sx that can co-exist at the same time.

Hope you find some answers soon.

Jeanette