Help! Breast Cancer and CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hopeful4, May 22, 2003.

1. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I have CFS (3 years) and am now dealing with breast cancer, fortunately caught in an early stage (remember to get your mammograms!...that's how mine was found).

The biopsy, surgery, and trying to deal with all of the doctor appointments, the emotions, the options and decisions, has heavily impacted my CFS. I was previously functioning in the home environment, but unable to work. Now I'm so tired (just had surgery a week ago) I'm staying in my pajamas all day, resting a lot more. Coming up are radiation and possibly chemo.

Has anyone experienced something similar? How did you manage it? Fighting cancer takes a lot of energy.

Also, has anyone every heard of a connection between CFS and cancer? The immune system is so involved with both.

Thanks for your input.
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I have never had cancer but I want to bump this so that someone else who has can see it and respond to you.
    You are in my prayers.
  3. gumama

gumama New Member

Hi

I am a breast cancer survivor of 5 yrs.. early detection by me caught mine.. you mention both biopsy and surgery.. can I assume that you didn't just have a Lumpectomy..???

what are the Dr's weighing to make the decision about Radiation and or Chemo.??? I was fortunate that I only had to have radiation.

Everyone reacts differently.. but I will tell you that what your doing right now.. staying in Jammies and resting is the right decision for now.. if you just had surgery a week ago you need the time to rest before any further treatment

eating small meals and keeping your energy up is a challenge but thats what will get you through.. I sincerely hope you don't have to do Chemo.. but the Radiation is a good thing because it kills any teeny cells that might have gotten through the surgery.

please stay in touch with me and I will help you through all of this as much as I can.. we will just take one step at a time one day at a time.. thats how you get through this.

I'll be praying for you
    Blessings

Sandy in the desert
  4. Hocking

Hocking New Member

I was dx'd with breast cancer in 2001; had bilateral mastectomies, sentinel node biopsy, ER/PR+, stage 1. I also have CFIDS/FMS. You are doing exactly what you should be doing right now--rest up from your surgery. Anesthesia will really take it out of you, and you'll need weeks to recover from that. I suggest you link to bcsupport.org (no www) and meet the wonderful women and men there for support. I do not think there is any connection between CFS and BC and have never heard of any argument to support it. Weakened immune systems don't necessarily cause cancer. Just rest up and get healthy and remember: you didn't cause your cancer. Nobody knows what causes BC. If they did, there'd be a slew of Nobel Prizes being given out. Relax and be well.
  5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Gumama,
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right...haven't used this board a lot.

The BC surgery I had was a lumpectomy (also called partial mastectomy) and sentinal node biopsy. I had a stereotactic core biopsy a couple of weeks before. That identified DCIS, Stage 0.

After the lumpectomy infiltrating ductal carcinoma, Stage I was identified. Fortunately, the nodes are clean. So, before the surgery the Drs. were saying tx would be lumpectomy and radiation. Since the surgery, the surgeon mentioned the possibility of chemotherapy because of the size (1.1 cm) and type of IDC. She has referred me to a medical oncologist for further consultation.

Did you have CFS at the time of your BC diagnosis and treatment? How are you doing now?
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Dear Hocking,
    Thanks for your support. I'm going to look into the website you suggested. Yes, the anesthesia is a real knock-out! I guess that's what it's supposed to do!

Rest up is what people are saying. It's hard to hear after years of resting up with CFS, but I'm gonna try. I keep the "Serenity Prayer" close.

How are you doing now since your bc dx and tx? How did you make it through?

Thanks-a-bunch. Wishing you good health.

hopeful4
  7. Hocking

Hocking New Member

I am one of the lucky ones who did well right from the start. I never looked at cancer as a death sentence, did tons of research, had the very best care, and some wonderful role models in BC survivors who had much more advanced-stage BC than I did. It would be nice to say that I am cancer-free, but once diagnosed, there is no such thing.
    I have posted elsewhere on this site about the low-carb way of eating I'm enjoying right now. If you're trying to build stamina, you might want to look into it. I can't repeat this enough: cut out all sugars and carbs (throw out the junk food, breads, cereal, donuts, cookies, chips, etc) and eat veggies, lean meats, low-fat dairy and eggs. Try it for two weeks and see if you don't feel a lot better.
    Wishing you a rapid recovery.
  8. chknmama

chknmama New Member

I am sorry you are going through this. I know exactly how you feel,as I had Breast cancer.I had DCIS and was stage 1.I had a masectomy on my left side with immediate reconstruction,then had a preventative on the right one. I didnt have to have chemo or radiation.Thank god!! I would love to talk to you.Feel free to email me at chknmama@cpinternet.com.
    Gentle Hugs,
    Jeri