Help - can't stay awake at work.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by arts4you, Jun 23, 2003.

1. arts4you

arts4you New Member

I need some suggestions, quick! Twice today, I put my head in my hands just to rest my eyes, and both time was awakened by the phone ringing. God only knows what would have happened if my boss had walked in on me. What suggestions to some of you have to help me stay awake! I hate this D*** cronic fatigue. I have been sleeping pretty good at night, but mid-afternoon, my body wants a nap! Any suggestions will be more that accepted.
  2. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Sorry to hear that you are having this problem. It's probably due to poor sleep. Please contact your doctor and see if she/he can adjust your medications. Mine put me on adderal and now I'm able to stay awake during the day. Remember doseages may have to be adjusted, so don't expect immediate results.
    H
  3. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Arts~~Has the falling asleep at work just started or been going on for a while?

Could it be any medications/vitamins/herbs you are taking? If so, you may need to take them earlier at night. Of if they are morning meds--half or fourth them.

How long has it been since you spent the whole weekend in bed just resting your body, relaxing, sleeping, and giving your body a real timeout?

I work also, and I find that by mid-afternoon on the 2nd work day, I am exhausted and can barely stay awake--and sometimes have just flat fallen asleep and not gotten my work done.

However, I know that part of my problem is taking some pain meds so I can work. Without them--I couldn't function. But, they add to my tiredness & lethargy.

Another thing, I found that I cannot eat lunch and stay awake at all. If I eat lunch--I'm asleep 30 minutes later. So, I just eat bits & pieces of saltine crackers with small slices of apple throughout the day.

Working with these illnesses is a real strain on our bodies to start with, and even though I only work 3 days a week (Tuesday through Thursday) I am completely exhausted by Thursday evening and have to rest all day Friday & Saturday. However, I am 54 and besides FM/CFS, I have degenerative disc disease with multiple back problems along with back/neck nerve damage; rheumatoid arthritis in my hands,neck/shoulder area; osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis, severe asthma/allergies, and IBS. But, I have to give my body plenty of rest, downtime, and treatment just to be able to go to work the next week.

One thing I found that helps during the day is a vitamin you can buy on this site called ENADAlert. You take one or more tablets and let them dissolve under your tongue about an hour before you are going to need the energy boost. The energy boost lasts 3 to 5 hours. I take mine at 11 a.m. when I have a full day and know that I cannot afford to have a "sinking spell". This is a vitamin--not some kind of speed. I've found that it works well for me--especially on those days I had to drag myself to work to start with.

Hope you find something to help you. I know how difficult it is to work and have these illnesses. Blessings, Carol...
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

It ended up being that I was allergic to molds and yeasts, and our building was full of it. Do you get this way on the week-ends, or just while you are at work?

Dara
  5. Holly917

Holly917 New Member

Try having a piece of fruit, like an orange, or an apple, at the time before you usually get tired. Do not intake a lot of caffeine or sugar early in the day, as it will cause a "burn out" effect in the afternoon. Also, take a deep breath, inhaling air into your belly, not your chest. More oxygen will get to your brain this way and may help. A short walk around your workplace may help too.

Good luck! ;-) I hope this helps some.

Holly
  6. Mumu

Mumu New Member

Sounds like it might be reactive hypoglycemia. If you eat a lot of carbohydrates at lunch, your blood sugar drops for awhile. It's supposed to help if you eat more protein and less carbs. Also, if there's any way you can get up and walk around for a couple of minutes, that will get the circulation going and also burn off some of the carbs. Good luck. I've been there too.
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

I am not able to work any longer, bit towards the end I was a lot like what you are describing. I agree with Catgal that resting for the entire weekend would be a good idea, if it is at all possible.

If not, definitely rest as much as possible on Saturday and do any work that absolutely has to be done around home on Sunday. I did that for years. But still keep it light on Sunday.

I also began to take sick days occasionally to get caught up on my rest. Or if you have an appointment just try to take the rest of the day off, sleeping late if possible.

Watch out for too many carbs at lunch. While fruit is good for you, you'll do better if you stick with veggies, whole grains and protein. Forget oranges, they can spike your blood sugar and then it will plummet.

The Enada is a good idea. It would be better than Adderall or Ritalin. My doc told me he thought it was too expensive, but I'm not working, so I don't need it like you do.

Good luck.

Barbara
  8. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Is it possible you could change your lunch time and take a nap? The other suggestions sound really good too!
  9. nacl4y

nacl4y New Member

I definitely understand where you're coming from. Most days I'm lucky to keep my eyes constantly open much after 8 a.m. (starting time) LOL.

My only advise... drink lots of water - keeping hydrated will help a bit. Monitor what you're eating - that will definitely affect your fatigue level, particularly in the afternoon. Some people have issues with too many carbs at lunch - some seem to have the same issue (with this DD) with proteins at lunch. It's very individualized. Also try herbal teas - green tea often helps me. If you don't like it hot, try it as an iced tea (sweetened with stevia or honey if you'd rather).

Also, try sleeping or resting at lunch. I will often put my head down on my desk for 15-20 minutes at lunch time. In order not to be bothered I'll put on headphones - not always with music... frequently with nothing playing at all. I even use earplugs at times. And yes, my little space here at work comes complete with a pillow and a blanket. I have even been known to push my chair aside and lie down on the floor behind my desk. Not always possible depending on your work situation, I realise.

Shannon L.
  10. Patti2

Patti2 New Member

That is how i discovered I was sick. I was filling in for our receptionist and fell dead asleep. They could not wake me and called the squad. Before that earthshattering event I was sooo tired all the time and very forgetful.
    Now when I feel like that which I do, I nap at lunch time. I always have crackers, veggies ect to eat and it works well for me. Give it a shot.
  11. FMexhausted

FMexhausted New Member

I'm new to this thing, so I don't know what the little faces mean yet...sorry I didn't send one. But, the exhaustion through the afternoon is part of why I'm home, and no longer employed.
    I would do the same things, and would jump when my phone rang or someone came up behind me and said something.
    I don't know what medication(s) you might be on, but all I have tried make me sleepy. I am right now though, starting a new medication I have been on for 2 1/2 weeks...nortriptyline, along with other medications for sleep and pain. It seems to be killing some of the pain more so than I can say anything has so far. In 1 1/2 weeks, I am supposed to start on Pamelor??? if the nortrip is helping.
    I don't know if it is a mixture of all meds, or just this one in particular. I have been in major pain for 2 years, and I can't believe I am in a "flare" that lasts that long.
    Let me know if this is something you have tried.
  12. arts4you

arts4you New Member

There are so many of you wonderful people out there with all kinds of suggestions. Yes, my medications make me sleepy too, Neurontin and Darvacet (spelling?) So it does ad to the Chronic Fatigue. Thanks again for all the suggestions. You all are great.