Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Nov 4, 2008.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I have been waking up occasionally and Iam is very disturbing and scary.....

if you have this could you please tell me what you do to help?!

Iam so afraid that it is going to happen one of these times and Iam not going to wake up!

2. winsomme

winsomme New Member

I have also had this same sensation. waking up feeling like i couldn't breath. I really can say what exactly it is. I've never had a sleep study done, but I thought it could be sleep apnea...

wish i had concrete answer for you, but wanted to let you know that i too have this is very disconcerting and makes you a little afraid to go back to sleep..
  3. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

hi doxy,

I dont know if this is the same thing that you are talking about, but I have acid reflex (GERD)

I wake up and the acid is comeing up my throat...and I have to sit up real feels like I am about to vomit...yuk

I know I should be on some med for this but everything I have tried hasnt help me yet.

Does this sound like it could be what you are talking about?

4. 3gs

3gs New Member

Ihave experienced this where I have woken up clawing at my throat because i felt like i was choking.

one thing i noticed was i would really tuck my head under(curled over) tryed to start keeping my neck more straight. it helped with the choking.

do you have alot of mucus build up?

don't know what causes this but know what you mean

oh i wonder if it could be a muscle spasm

hope this helped
  5. BeansMom

BeansMom New Member

I take Tramadol and occasionally muscle relaxers and I think that could be it. I have had that same feeling, I am asleep and can't wake up & feel like I can't breathe. I get scared that I'm going to die.
    It's very scary feeling. It's like sleep paralyisis - b/c I can't wake up even though I really want to and I can't move or change position or hold my head up.

6. momof27

momof27 New Member

7. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

I have sleep apnea. It is a possibilty that you have it. The only way to know for sure is to have a sleep study done.

It can cause us to gasp for air while sleeping, because we do stop breathing.

It can cause alot of serious health problems. Fatigue, heart attacks,diabetes, brain fog,concentration problems, pain, high blood pressure, heart palps., sweats,falling asleep during the day,and alot more problems.

A lung Dr. can order this study to be done. My MD had no idea what sleep apnea was or it's symptoms. And it is hereditary. And there are different kinds of Apnea's. Alot of people have it and don't know it. so please get it checked out, it could mean your life. Please get checked out. It has been well worth it for me. Let us know the outcome.

I can't stress enough how important this is to our health. Hugs, Robin
  8. lovinthelord

lovinthelord New Member

Hi Doxy,
    I also have had a few episodes of choking but also gasping for -which wakes me and a lot of coughing. My doc. said signs of sleep apnea and sent me for sleep study. It was scheduled but I had to cancel due to a family death. which threw me into a devastating flare and my depression plummeted , along with a new symptom of severe anxiety to the point I don't like to leave my home, so I have yet to reschedule. Know I should just so down & out ....anyhow, talk to your doc right away. If they find you have sleep apnea one treatment is a mschine thsr provives oxygen. suppose to make a huge difference. Hope this helps. I also found sleeping in my recliner or with more pillows under my head seemed to makw a difference...hope this helps Doxy, take care.
  9. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

I went through a bad spell where I woke up sevral times a night coughing which lead to dry heaving. I finally went to the ER and my glands at the base of my toungue where swollen because of asid reflux. after 2 weeks on meds it has stoped! It is a very scary thing to deal with and always left my hubby in a panic. I hope you find an answer soon.
  10. CatLady43

CatLady43 New Member

You really need to talk to your dr. about this, there are several things that could be going on but this is typical of sleep apnea. Another thing that can cause this is pain meds. My daughter's pain medications cause very dry throat and she would wake up choking, she keeps a bottle of water on her nightstand to sip when she wakes up like this. There are also throat sprays that help to lubricate the throat if it is dry throat. Please get this checked out as it could be serious. I have sleep apnea so I know that it can be serious.

11. Fleeta

Fleeta New Member

Hi Doxy,I've just read several posts regarding this.I have sleep apnea.I would suggest you ask your refer you to a pulmonologist.This Dr. will send you for an over night sleep study,usually in hospital.You'll be monitored all night long.No pain at all.You'll just sleep as usual,and the results will show if you do indeed have the sleep apnea.You should know this is a dangerous illness,if it goes undetected.I wish you all much luck.....Warmest Regards,Fleeta