Help cold sores out of control this winter, need advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justlooking, Mar 2, 2006.

1. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Someone please help.

I have gotten cold sores on my lips since the age of 18 (kissed a boy with them...BAD decision). For the most part I rarely have gotten them more than once or twice a year... but over the past 6 months I have gotten them about every 15 days. I have gotten them on my lips and on my nostrils during this time. They are completely L-Lysine resistant and at this point I just don't know what to do. They are driving me CRAZY!!

They are also really weird looking, like small clusters of blisters, approximately 7-10 very small ones in an area of the size of a pea. This is different from the ones I've had in the past which were one big blister.

I don't know what is causing them, Lysine isn't helping get rid of them and my normal ways of dealing with them aren't helping at all. I have also cleansed them with Peroxide, used Neosporin with crushed up Lysine and Herpecin L, all with no help.

Are they only caused by a reoccuring virus or could they be from bacteria or other types of non-viral germs??? I know stress, certain foods, sunlight all contribute but I haven't been unusually stressed, no change in diet and no sun at all. What else could be causing this 6 month outbreak??? It has become ridiculously annoying and I am considering calling my Dr for some Anti-virals but that would probably require me to go in for an appointment and I can't until at least next week. Are there any NATURAL anti-virals. I have some Echinechia and GoldenSeal caplets would those help? Any foods that contain something to help fight these pesky sores? Desperation has set in, please help!

I also have had a low White Blood cell count for about the last 9-12 months and now a low Red blood cell count too (last blood test was 2 weeks ago). I'm sure that the low WBC shows my immunity is down but what can I do to fight these gosh darn things? Please ANY advice will help.

Sincerely
    JL

BTW I don't think they are being spread from one place to another and spreading is the cause of the ongoing problem. There are several days in between the outbreaks and they are in places far enough apart from the last spot that I doubt they are being spread. They will have been healed for several days before a new outbreak happens and the new outbreak will be, for instance, on the completely opposite side of my mouth from the last occurance. I 100% believe they are "new" outbreaks each time. <[This Message was Edited on 03/02/2006]
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

fast moving board today, almost went to page 2 within an hour of posting.

anyway, please help me if can!!
  3. maps

maps New Member

I too have had them all my life. It is so funny you have posted this today because yesterday my whole lip area felt like I was going to be covered with them and I have not had one for a very long time.

I did not know that their was medication for them until I went to my doc regarding something else. He just said casually do you want some cream for that cold sore.

Anyway he gave me a perscription for Zovirax and it has been a life saver. I kept putting it on last night and woke up with one little bump this morning. I continue to put on the cream and it never develops into a cold sore and it seems to have reduced the occurance considerably.

Hope this helps.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

About Famvir. It's an antiviral med which is used for Herpes-Family Viruses.

You must be run down to have the virus constantly reactivating. I take probiotics, undenatured whey, and colostrum, all sold here, to help keep my own immune system strengthened. There is a transfer factor which is really a souped up colostrum, menaing it doesn't target speicific pathogens, which might help. It could be used instead of the plain colostrum.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  5. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Ouch,
    I'll try the lemon juice today. I've never heard of that before. Zovarax is a prescription right and anti viral? Do you take it as a preventive or when you actually have an outbreak of cold sores? I will need to discuss it with my Dr soon, I can't take this much longer.

Maps,
    So you used a cream version of Zovarax? I've heard of the pill version but not creams (except over the counter) I haven't discussed this problem with my Dr before since it hadn't been a problem until recently. I'm glad you found something thats working, these things are a real pain in the butt.

Mikie,
    Yeah I really need to talk to my Dr about it now that it is getting so out of control. I know my body must be run down because of my low WBC but besides the cold sores, I've not gotten any of the colds/flus that are going around...knock on wood. Is the TF you suggested sold on Prohealth? Do you know what the name is? I really have to get my immunity back up.

Thanks so much for responding. I'm just at my wits end about this!!!

Sincerely
    JL
  6. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I was reading your post when I came to the sentence that you use Ecchinacea. I would stope using that because if effects your WBC count. Only healthy people w/o autoimmune diseases should use it. It may be the cause of your WBC being low if you were using it just prior to getting your blood drawn.

Mikie is right in that TF, Immunepro, probiotics are all really good. I might add that Kyolic is wonderful. It fights viruses and it's antimicrobial (kills bacteria). Also use it on your food raw when you can. For example, I like these organic brown rice crusts pizzas, so I add raw garlic to it. If I eat chinese, I'll add garlic.

I was getting a cold last night, so I ate garlic with dinner and woke up last night feeling feverish and congested. But when I got up this morning, I felt much better and I've been able to go about my day as normal w/o congestion. There used to be wars over garlic!!

Hope you feel better soon, hugs,

skierchik
  7. neen85

neen85 New Member

It is advertised to be for all types of skin problems. You start out with a high dose for the first 3 months or until outbreaks cease,if I remember right,then decrease dosage.

It is a bit pricey at first,like 45 dollars a bottle,but the patient testimonials for this problem are great. I used it for horribly dry skin and bad acne "that time of the month" and it took care of the problem right away and gave me the best skin I'd ever had.

My skin around the waist area was actually flaking off in alligator sized flakes. It says it works on any type of skin condition. The user testimonials were for a variety of conditions and were great. Daneen
  8. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Skierchick
    I've actually never used the Echinechea, I just have it in my cabinet. I always buy stuff and then never use it. My husband gets mad because he can never find room in the medicine cabinet for his stuff because I have so many products I never use LOL. So my low WBC counts aren't due to that.
    As for garlic, making some spaghetti for dinner and will add extra garlic and some real garlic-garlic bread. Hopefully it will help

Neen85,
    Wow for that price I hope it works =) Does it work on cold sores too? How about wrinkles....that I need some help with LOL

Thanks for the replies
    JL
    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2006]
  9. neen85

neen85 New Member

ANy type of skin problem! For herpes typeI,typeII,psoriasis,serious acne, deep acne boils etc. I think it will keep you from getting cold sores ever again with regular use. After the breakouts quit (or whatever your problem is)you decrease the dose and eventually you go down to one capsule,I think. Check it out,I think it would be worth it to you. Daneen
  10. mer0928

mer0928 New Member

I have had re-occurring fever blisters since I was a child. I have also found that I get them all the time during the winter. I know this sounds strange, but I found that Valtrex works wonders! When I feel the sore coming on (or even if I just wake up with one!), I take a 1 G tablet and then another 12 hours later. It is almost always gone within 24 hours. In my opinion, this is definitely something worth asking your doctor about!

Mary Elizabeth
  11. jennypee

jennypee New Member

My poor hubby gets them really badly in the winter time-- his are severe! He's gotten them since he was a little kid, and always had to deal with them for weeks at a time, until they healed.

The only way he's found to control it is Herpicen-- it's just an over the counter lip medicine, in a little jar or a chapstick form. As soon as he feels the first tingle of a cold sore he has to use it around the clock until the tingle goes away. The cold sores don't even form anymore! Boy, if he forgets to use it though it's horrible!

It's the only otc remedy that actually works for him, and it's one of the cheaper ones, lucky for us. Not all stores carry it, but most of the Walmarts do, in the pharmacy section with the other cold sore stuff.
  12. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Daneen,
    I'll look into that. Thanks for the info on it.

Mer,
    On my next Drs appt I will definitely be talking about getting some anti-virals, thank you for the suggestion.

Jennypee,
    I'm glad your hubby found something that works and is inexpensive. I have some of the Herpecin but unfortuntely it doesn't work for me. I sure wish I could find something effective that was cheap and easy to get.

I have to say so far this week I've tried several of the suggestions so I appreciate everyone who has replied =) Once I am able to get out of the house again, to the pharmacy, the Dr and out and about I'm going to get something to hopefully prevent future outbreaks. These things are absolutely miserable!! This batch is slowly healing and weren't as bad as some I've had before but any cold sores suck!

Thanks again.
    Sincerely
    jl
  13. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

L Lysine depletion causes recurrent cold sores. You may want to get the pills. Cured mine years ago.

Love Anne C
  14. justlooking

justlooking New Member

rocknroll
    Sometimes I feel I'm in a never ending flare LOL. I do believe the herpes virus has something to do with my CFS. The symptoms I get just prior to a cold sore/fever blister are so similar to my CFS symptoms...flu-like, sore throat, malaise, etc. I also have FM and those flares are so different than my CFS ones...so I think you are right about the connection. I think I really need to get some anti-virals and work on this especially now with my WBC being low, obviously my body can't fight it alone anymore. So thank you for your insight =)

cromwell
    these have been Lysine resistant for some reason. I've been taking Lysine for cold sores for years, usually the first sign of one I'd pop some Lysine a couple of times a day and they would never even blister up. The ones I've had the last 6 months are very different. All of my normal ways of dealing with them are not working AND they keep coming back. I think its because my White Blood Cells and Red Blood cells are low, I'm having trouble fighting off the virus that causes them. I was also wondering if they could be caused by something other than a virus because these ones have been so different (in treating and in size, shape, overall look) that maybe they could be due to bacteria or another type of germ, non-viral? I appreciate the suggestion, everyone who has cold sores should be told about Lysine, it is absolutely the best thing for cold sores!!!

Sincerely
    JL
  15. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

YOU could try. Apply a paste of baking soda and water.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Transfer Essentials or Transfer Factor Essentials. I've heard some good feedback on this stuff here. They undenatured whey sold here increases glutathione and is recommended by Dr. Cheney to help the immune system. Good health begins in the gut and probiotics are essential to good health. The Jarro-Dophilus sold here is really good. Good luck.

Love, Mikie