HELP Costo Chondritis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Oct 4, 2006.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I think I'm suffering from Costo since my allergies/asthma started up. Doctors say change of weather--but I live in Florida and our temperatures have only dropped a degree or two.

Anyway, does anyone else with Costo ever feel slightly short of breath. My peak flow is OK, so it's not entirely my asthma. My chest muscles (pectorals) are really sore and it feels like I'm not taking a deep breath.

Any advice on costo will be appreciated. So far, just using heating pad.

Thanks,
    Tania
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My old asthma/bronchitis is acting up and it always brings costo chondritis with it. When I lived in CO and had it every year from Jan. through Mar., I would get a steroid injection between my ribs next to the sternum where the inflammation originated.

I don't like taking the injections, so when the Red Tide outbreaks caused costo to rear its ugly head, I decided to try to get rid of it on my own. I used the reusable gel ice packs and iced down the sternum and rib area. I also took Ibuprophen because it is, in my opinion, the best anti-inflammatory sold OTC. It is working and the costo is under control. Wish I had thought of this years ago before those injections.

Love, Mikie
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Thanks everyone for answering my post. As much as I feel for all of you in your pain--at least I realize I'm not the only one with this awful chest wall pain and breathing problems.

Mikie--I remember you are on the west coast and I'm on the east. I'm wondering if Sept/Oct is a bad month for us. Looking back in my journals--seems like I get asthma/bronchitis spells this time for the last few years.

For other with Costo--please chime in with your info.

Thanks,
    Tania
  4. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Tania

I have costo too. Nanjee was nice enough to post her information on it and I finally have a name after years of this pain coming and going.

Lets see for me sleeping with a gel pack heated in the microwave helps. I heat it up and then take it to bed with me and either lay on my side or my back, whichever is more comfortable. I bought the biggest gel pack I could find so it is almost as big as an electric heating pad.

I also sleep on my side and hug a pillow. It helps to keep the muscles from pulling and I am able to breathe better.

I also take a daily arthritis medication which helps to keep the inflamation down in my body as I have OA as well.

Massage helps me too. Not so much the muscles in the chest wall but when you are in pain all your muscles go into spasms.

My husbands is always telling me that I need to hold my shoulders back and not to slump. He works on the muscles in my shoulders and back and help them to relax.

As for the weather I know that damp or humid weather affects my fibro and I often feel like I can 't get a deep breath.

hugs Redwillow