Help Dental Problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jakeg, Mar 2, 2006.

1. jakeg

jakeg New Member

I was awaked by a severe tooth ache this morning 2:15 AM. I took 1 of my oxy tabs to help with the pain so I'll have to skip my normal morning dose.

My question is how many people here have run into dental problems because you don't feel the pain from cavities that are starting because of the pain meds you take???

What do you do to prevent this from happening to you besides frequent dentist visits?

I do brush 2 sometimes 3 times a day and still seem to have a ton of dental problems. I don't eat many sweets at all and I try and watch what I eat but still find my self having these dental problems.

I'll have to get to a dentist ASP to get this pulled because it feels like 1/2 the tooth is gone. I broke one three months ago and had to have that one pulled to.

Does this DD soften your teeth or what?

Jake
  2. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Hi Jake -
    Cavities are started by bacteria like to eat the leftover sludge and plaque and then subsequently start eroding into the teeth. Some people are more susceptible than others. If your immune system is weaker you would be more prone, or there can be genetic predispositions as well - some people have "soft" teeth - the enamel is just not as tough protection.

I recommend adding flossing (before you brush) and using an antibacterial pre-brush rinse like the new Listerine one, then rinse with an anti-bacterial Listerine after. Flossing before brushing gets everything out in between the teeth and the gumline, making the brushing that you do do more effective.

If you grind your teeth at night that can cause "fractures" of the teeth that can enable decay by letting the bacteria in for a party. You may also want to consider a mouth guard for nighttime.

Hope this helps!
    Madam Curie
  3. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

irst although flossing and brushing and drinking floridated water while growing up are very important, the number one determiniing factor in your dental problems is heredity. Some people are just born with better teeth period.

That said yes medications can give you problems. In your saliva you have the ingredients (ACP) which helps you rebuild enamel. If you are taking medications which cause you to have dry mouth this can definately cause you issues.

I agree you may be bruxing at night which can cause jaw pain, headache and broken teeth. You may have an abcess if the pain is that bad. One good way to determine if you have an abcess is to put ice on the tooth. If it soothes you it is an abcess if it sends you through the roof it probably isn't.

Finally if you have fissures and tiny cracks this allows plaque to get in and cause cavities so that needs to be checked and possibly filled.

Hope this helps and good Luck! Remember Dentists are lke Drs and they aren't all good (Trust me I have seen some really bad ones!) Most will give you a consultation so if you want a second opinion or to try another dentist go for it! Lynn
  4. leubie

leubie New Member

HEY JAKE, I TOO WONDERED THE SAME THING ABOUT MEDS EFFECTUNG MY TEETH--I WAS HAVING SEVERE TEETH-ACHES. WENT TO THE DENTIST---HE SAID THE NERVES OF 5 OF MY TEETH WREE EXPOSED --3 IN MY SINUS BED AND 2 I N MY LOWER JAW.(I KNOW THIS SOUNDS GROSS). ANYWAYS I JUST HAD 4 TEETH PULLED. UNFORTUNATELY NO AMOUNT OF PAIN MEDS REALLY HELPED. ALTHOGH THE PERCOCET HELPED BETTER THAN THE METHADONE....BUT NOW I AM SHORT UNTIL I GO TO THE DOC!!!!!!HOE YOURS WILL NOT END UP BEING AS HORRIBLE AS MY EXP. MAKE THAT DENTIST APPOINTMENT!!!!!LOVE TO ALL LAURA
  5. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Called the dentist and have an app for moday. I explained what the problem was and still have to wait, he's that booked that he can't fit me in.

At least the pain meds for this DD will help me make it though until then. So for once this DD is helping.

Agian thanks to all that replied.

Jake
  6. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

it happened to me too....I had teeth pain and ear aches.
    went to the dentist and he said try advil sinus..and darnit
    he was right. I had surgery in that section of my mouth and everytime a flair up hits me it hits the weakest part.

Or if you had dental work done or root canel fixed it can happen that they miss a canal and then that gets infected as it was hidden behind the first one they fixed.I think its called apea? I would have to look it up for you.

good luck
  7. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

I have had tooth pain for years the Dentist said my tooth condition has come from dry mouth caused by pain killers.
    I've lessoned my pain meds. and increased my water intake.
    I'm having 6 root canals due to this problem. tooth pain is a horrible thing to have. The dentist has had me to use floride tray baths, and floss constantly.Brushing with baking soda and then rising with peroxide. before tooth paste.
    It has slowed down the decay process allot.
  8. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

to hear about your teeth problems!

Well what I started doing was using a floride rinse and then using (instead of flossing which I hate) these little tiny "pick" type things that I use in between my teeth. So much easier than flossing! Then of course brushing till the cows come home. I can become obsessed almost, I am SO worried about my teeth,and since I started using painmeds... I can really have trouble.

Also alot of water to keep mouth moist, and then thing that really really helps is chewing SUGAR LESS gum. I had a real hard time with this cause I know it isnt good for you BUT... I decided that for me... (everyone different ofcourse) I would rather keep my teeth in good shape, try to do the best I can. I will tell you I started haveing problems - my mouth would be SO dry,and even drinkin tons of water , it didnt seem to help.

Through the day I chew about 4 sticks a day, limit it to that and it has HELPED SO MUCH. It keeps my mouth moist and my teeth "bathed" in saliva which keeps those probalems at bay.

Good luck to you ~ Karen
  9. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I was up all night with tooth pain... I just can't seem to pinpoint it- I thought it might be from my TMJ- but man is it sore and I'm on pain pills!

I jumped on here to see if any of you deal with this and bam! A whole list popped up!

I have an appt at 2:30 today.. I'm nervous as heck.. I hate the dentist and my dental ins doesn't cover much.. I've never had a root canal- and I'm anxious about telling the dentist I have FM- because of that "look" you usually get.

Owie!
    Sharon