HELP diagnosed w/soft tissue rheumatism?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 00a7370, Apr 10, 2007.

1. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

Rheumatologist diagnosed me with soft tissue rheumatism. Is that the same thing as fibromyalgia? My Sedrate and c reactive protein are slightly elevated. Does anyone know what this means?
  2. Engel

Engel New Member

Did a "web search" and found this definition ...

"Soft tissue Rheumatism" refers to aches or pains which arise from structures surrounding the joint such as tendons, muscles, bursae and ligaments. Soft tissue Rheumatism may result from mechanical factors such as overuse or misuse of these structures or as a feature of an arthritis illness. Arthritis refers to inflammation within the joint which results in pain, swelling, and warmth around the joint and is often accompanied by difficulty in using the joint. Arthritis may lead to damage within the joint.

Common areas of localized soft tissue Rheumatism
    Trigger finger: pain is felt along finger affected which sometimes has a feeling of snapping when extended - brought on by prolonged use of the hands.
    D'Quervains tenosynovitis : pain is felt along the outside of the thumb and along the wrist - often seen in mothers with young babies.
    Tennis elbow: pain is felt along the outside of the elbow brought on by strenuous activities involving the outstretched arm.
    Tendonitis around the shoulder: pain is brought on at certain points of movements particularly while lifting up the arm or reaching for the back.
    Trochanteric Bursitis: pain is felt on the outside of the hip joint and along the thigh due to inflammation of a bursa outside the hip.
    Bursitis around the knee: There are several bursae around the knee joint which can get inflamed due to pressure i.e. with prolonged kneeling or in association with Arthritis.
    Heel pain: can result from inflammation of the Achilles tendon or the tissue under the heel. Both result in pain and stiffness upon initiating walking and pain upon prolonged standing or climbing
    Forefoot: Bunions may give rise to pain on the sides of the forefoot. Footwear should be adjusted so it is roomy, comfortable and cushion.

Clear at the end of article:
    Generalised soft tissue Rheumatism

This is known as Fibromyalgia
    This condition is characterized by aches and pain all over the body. Besides this there may be poor and unrefreshing sleep. There may be symptoms like headaches, abdominal pains, urinary problems etc. Examination by the doctor reveals typical tender points in various parts of the body. There is no arthritis and no abnormalities such as nerve lesions, hormone disorders etc. Blood tests and X-rays tend to be normal.

It is important to understand that though this condition is painful, there is no inflammation and it is not serious. It does not cause crippling. The cause of this condition is unclear and research is underway to find out more about it. An abnormal sleep pattern has been found and treatment to correct this sometimes helps. There also appears to be poor muscular fitness and a disciplined progressive exercise programme also improves the condition. Multiple pain relieving drugs are not recommended, indeed treatment which does not involve medication is more effective. This includes relaxation, management of anxiety, depression and stress, and an exercise program to get the patient fitter. Motivated patients willing to help themselves do better than those not so inclined.

[This Message was Edited on 04/10/2007]
  3. Engel

Engel New Member

It is important to understand that though this condition is painful (fibromyalgia), there is no inflammation and it is not serious.

NOT SERIOUS?
  4. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

I did an extensive search too and some sites did say that it is fibromyalgia too. One thing was clear that repetitive motion can cause or make it worse. Since this is work related, that may be why he used that diagnosis instead of fibro. Who knows.

All I know is that I couled not go through everything I'm going through without all of your support. It means so much to me.
  5. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi double 0
    what century is this doc from!!
    rheumatism is a term used back in the horse and buggy days (apologies to amish readers), and so is that "medical statement" Engel found.
    unfortunately, that is still what so many are being taught, one would have hoped that that sort of mindset would die off with the older docs as they retire, but it still is prevalent in the med. community!
    elevated sed and crp might indicate an arthritic,autoimmune or similar problem, but usually just "a fibro thing" (mildly "off" but not tenough for anyone to consider it a problem!
    have a great day--L
  6. skikat

skikat New Member

let him check me . i have had all kinds of dr.s do it and none of it sounds like this. i too say GARBAGE......HUGS...SKI
  7. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

If it becomes a problem, I'll ask for another opinion. You guys are the best!!