Help===== Did I break my wrist?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaymagpie, Jun 26, 2006.

1. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I had a bad fall today and have been icing my wrist - it is swollen and stiff. Any way to tell if it is broken?
    Thanks
    maggy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2006]
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

Do you remember injuring it in any way? Maybe you need to go have it x-rayed. It may be carpel tunnel.

Kriket
  3. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Hi there, thanks for you response

I fell on my left wrist - it did not hurt too bad at first, but now I have been icing and it is swelling. I would like to avoid going for an x-ray - but maybe it's got to be . ...
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2006]
  4. thirkmom

thirkmom New Member

Do you have full range of motion of your wrist? Can you move in a circular motion without intense pain? If it continues to swell and becomes numb or your fingers get cold or numb the swelling may be inhibiting your circulation. If it is painful and continues to be painful upon movement, I would get in for an x-ray just to be sure. LuAnn
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

You may have torn or stretched some tendons and ligaments in your wrist when you fell on it. I wonder if you wrapped it to keep from bumping or bending it if that would help. You probably need to keep icing it for the swelling. If it's not better in a day or so I would go and have it checked by a doctor to make sure it is not broke. It sounds like you have sprained it to me, but I'm no doctor. Let us know how it gets and if you go to the doctor what he says.

Kriket
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

Sometimes, a bad sprain will cause more pain than a break.

However, the ONLY WAY to tell if it is broken is to get it X-ray'd.

If you think it could possibly be broken, I would make a trip to the ER, or a local Urgent Care facility.

Keep that ice on it -- for 20 min. at a time!

and .... take some ibuprofen ... about 600 mg for the inflammation/swelling and pain (unless you are already on some type of pain med.)

Hugs,
    Janet
  7. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

for your response!
    I feel like I have full range of motion, but it is very stiff, including probably from the icing. And the swelling has been there all day. Gosh, I hate going for the x=ray, was thinking of giving it day. Can the PCP order the x ray?
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

My PCP can do the x-rays in their office. Do you have to take an x-ray order to the hospital to get it? If so, I can understand why you don't really want to go to get x-rays.

At least an Urgent Care wouldn't be as bad as an ER. It's the waiting at the ER that I hate.

Hope your wrist feels better.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

When my son was a teenager, he broke a finger when a Nerf football hit it!!!!

10. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

You all offered some good advise. The pain last night was pretty intense, so I guess it will be x-ray time today

Hey - thanks for answering!!!

maggy
  11. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

12. kriket

kriket New Member

Hey, how is your wrist doing today. Have not heard from you on your doctor visit or if you had an x-ray done. Hope your wrist is feeling better.

Kriket
  13. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

you are so nice to ask! Just what I needed, thank you.

yes, doc says a break but should be back to a-ok in a few weeks:) got a cool cast. just typing is hard - am going to stay off work a bit.

funny how things can change so quickly - just going along and then that darn fall. . .
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2006]
  14. kriket

kriket New Member

You mean it really is broken? Shucks. I am so sorry to hear that. I am glad that you went on to the doctor and got it x-rayed.

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]