Help... Doc and Dissability.... What to do????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dorothy, Sep 18, 2002.

1. dorothy

dorothy New Member

I'm in a dilema and not sure what to do. I just got up the nerve to talk to my doctor about dissability. I haven't gotten any better since I flaired in April. It's been pain ever since. The only new thing we found out was that my thyroid was off and I started meds for that too. Anyway, I called the Docs office and her nurse called me back and said that she said for me to go to the psychologist for that. She will provide any medical records they need. Does this sound like she supports me or not? I just started seing a therapist at mental health because of all this stress and dealing with pain and stuff a few months ago. I also had a major depressive episode last year. So I'm just not sure about all this. I mean.... I need full support to fight the SSD battle... What does this sound like? Suggestions.... Help... I know my body and how I feel and I just can't go on working.

Confused in NC
    Dorothy
  2. dorothy

dorothy New Member

I'm in a dilema and not sure what to do. I just got up the nerve to talk to my doctor about dissability. I haven't gotten any better since I flaired in April. It's been pain ever since. The only new thing we found out was that my thyroid was off and I started meds for that too. Anyway, I called the Docs office and her nurse called me back and said that she said for me to go to the psychologist for that. She will provide any medical records they need. Does this sound like she supports me or not? I just started seing a therapist at mental health because of all this stress and dealing with pain and stuff a few months ago. I also had a major depressive episode last year. So I'm just not sure about all this. I mean.... I need full support to fight the SSD battle... What does this sound like? Suggestions.... Help... I know my body and how I feel and I just can't go on working.

Confused in NC
    Dorothy
  3. JannyW

JannyW New Member

... he thinks the psychologist will be a better reference for me than he will ... altho he's perfectly willing to fill out any forms I need. I got my SSA denial letter on Monday and am gathering up the forms, etc. to file my appeal.

Anyway, you will need to list all your health care providers on your application to SSA, so they will contact your doctor directly. Hopefully they will tell them what you need them to hear.

Jan ^v^
  4. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

gaining disability support can be a protracted process. I hired a disability atty(the law limits their fees and it was surely worth it) and won the SSDI. Perhaps your doc and shrink can consult with you as to whether this is the way to go. The atty might be able to tell you whether you have a case. Hope it all goes well, Al
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

Allen gave you some good advice. You need to have the support of your docs in order to pursue a disability claim. The more dx's you have the better because it gives them more to choose from, and sometimes just the sheer number can be the reason they decide to award it.

Have you been unable to work since April? Do you anticipate being unable to work for at least a year? If so I think I would find a different doc to treat your physical problems. The more things you have tried, whether it's meds, chiro, massage, supplements, the more able they are to see that you are doing your best to find some way to improve your health in order to be able to work.

Start by reading the info on disability on this site. Go to the home page and scroll down the right side until you get to disability. Click on that and you will see several articles written by a disability attorney, as well as some other basic info. If you still think you will qualify I think Allen's idea of consulting with an attorney is a good idea. It won't cost you a dime, until you win your case.

A good place to find a disability attorney with experience in your illness is through local support groups. An attorney may also be able to give you the names of some docs that would be willing to work with you if you file a claim. I wouldn't walk in on my first appointment and ask them to hel[p you file for SSDI. I unfortunately had to ask for support in maintaining my STD and then getting LTD from the first day I saw my treating doc.

Good luck,
    Barbara
  6. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

I would say that doc doesn't seem too suportive. If you get disability for depression the gov expects you to be healthy in a few years. I know of a couple that lost disability due to the dx depression because they said there was some sort of time limit for depression to be cured. But, I guess it's better then nothing. They are now tring to get disability again for dc FMS and or CFS. I would try and find an FMS doc that will treat you and suport you. Al's idea of talking to a lawyer is a good one there is one here on the home page and you can e mail him a Q. Maybe you should ask him.

Good luck, Kim and Gary
  7. dorothy

dorothy New Member

Thanks for your responses.

No I haven't been out since April.... That's when my last big flair started and has seemed to never go away. I have been struggling through work the best I can, missing many days and coming in late or leaving early. I just don't seem to get any relief, and know I will have to give my notice any day now. I just don't know what to make of my doctors response. She always seemed very understanding and caring... but lately I'm just not sure. I know I need her support but I don't know if I have it... by her response. i will see the therapist this week and see what she says I guess b/4 I contact my doctor again to see if she does infact support me.... Does that sound like the right way to do things?

In pain and frustrated
    Dorothy
  8. nathan

nathan New Member

I am currently going through the hoops with DSS in Chatham County, NC. I will pass along any info if you want me to. We can share in our quest. I am at insomniac@intrex.net
    Feel free to share your ideas or advise with me too. Good luck, So far I've heard you need an attorney to be taken seriously, a Dr. who agrees that you can't work and no real assests. I was denied one time already by jsut making a telephone interview with a DSS Disability caseworker's receptionist and after the initial consultation, she was going to have the caseworker call me back, and no one ever did. About 3 or 4 weeks later, I received a letter from DSS Disability Office stating that I was denied due to the amount of assests I have and the caseworker's claimed I wasn't ill enough, but she never even spoke with me or my Dr.I own a regular sized brick house w/ a sizable mortgage and 2 older cars. One 30 yr. old car and an 8 yr. old truck both with 100,000 plus miles. Shame on me, I'm too rich to get help. Really I ought to sell my car and get $500.00, then sell my house and live in a shelter, then they can tell me I'm not trying hard enough to get out of my slump or whatever they encourage me with.
    See what I mean, make sure you get an attorney to represent you. Lots of times they are listed on the same page near the Social Services Office number. Sometimes I think they require you to get denied once before you call upon their services, but I do not know, so check it out. I do know that my grandmother got it, but it took her a great while, and she definitely deserved it. It was 3 years of battling with an attorney who specializes in disability, but don't give up and I won't either! I pray we all get it if we need it. God Bless YOU! Peace nathan insomniac@intrex.net "fibrokid"