HELP!!!Doc took me off zoloft and onto Cymbalta...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ceili, Aug 9, 2005.

1. ceili

ceili New Member

Hi.....I tried to call the doc but she won't be in until tomorrow. I have CFS/Fibro/Thyroiditis.

I felt the zoloft wasn't working anymore....I was down mentally more than I was up. So she recommended I try Cymbalta, 30 mgs. to start.

Well, I've been taking it for 3 weeks now and I swear I am so depressed I can't even function, I cry at the drop of a hat. Maybe the zoloft wasn't so bad after all?

When do you know to say to the doc........this isn't working for me???

Any and all advice welcome dear friends. :)
  2. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

until you are at at least 120mg. You also have to work up slowly on Cymbalta. Th pain doc I see starts by decresing the anti depressant you are on as he increases the Cymbalta.

He has had extremly great success in his fibro patients. Like me some have to start at 20mg and work up in 20's instead of 30's
  3. ceili

ceili New Member

I can honestly say I have no thoughts of harming myself......but I do like the idea of going to sleep to get away for awhile. I've told dh how I feel and he's the one who told me to talk the doc and say it's not working.

Funny, I wasn't depressed before I got this DD, but I have to admit I am now. Who wouldn't be when it feels like our lives have been stolen from us?

But thank you again so much for caring and looking out for me. I promise I will not do anything to harm myself. I just want to feel better. I'm actually thinking of getting St. John's Wort to see if it helps me day to day better than these blasted "flavor of the month" chemicals both the docs and pharma companies push on us.

:)
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

I went off Zoloft and am now on St. John's Wort. It works as well as the Zoloft did for me. However, I had to go off the Zoloft very very slowly - over the course of a year.

I was on Paxil early on in this DD and had to change due to the weight gain that just would not stop. The doctor put me on Serzone (which has since been taken off the market) and it did absolutely nothing for me. I might as well have been taking an M&M every day.

I cried and cried and could not function. It just was not doing the job for me so I saw the dr. and he changed me to Zoloft.

Bottom line, not everything works for everyone. I know nothing about Cymbalta but it seems that you are on too low a dose and are suffering from withdrawl from the Zoloft. That is a terrible experience. You need to get back on it or on something equally strong.

Don't take the St. John's Wort until you have been off the AD's for awhile since the interaction can cause problems.

Good luck. I hope you are able to get off these darn meds. They were life-savers for me 12 yrs ago but I am so glad that I was able to get off them eventually.

Pepper
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I tried 30 mg. of Cymbalta and couldn't cut it. The 20 mg., has worked best for me.

Anytime you feel more depressed; call your doctor ASAP! Depression is horrid.

Couldn't have anything to do with withdrawl from the zoloft?

Kim
  6. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Call your doc. :( It's too bad it isn't working well for you.

I guess I disagree that it won't work until you are on 120 mg--from my personal experience. I started on 30 and went to 60. I was on that for months and it worked perfectly. I recently cut back to 30 mg and it is still working just fine.

Take care,
    Nicole