HELP! Does anyone understand IgG immunoglobulin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Dec 1, 2002.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I went to an immunologist and she ran three tests---IgA,
    IgG, and IgM. My IgG was very low at 483 and the norms are from 694-1618. One person told me that with low levels some people go for IV drips of gamma globulin every month at about $1000 each time. Whoa!!!! I haven't had my next visit to see what this means. Do you think it has to do with CFS or FM? I also have had neutopenia (low white count) for over 25 years. I don't get alot of infections--more so virus type illness. Has anyone else been tested for immunity and do you know what this means?
    Thanks,
    Tania
  2. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I went to an immunologist and she ran three tests---IgA,
    IgG, and IgM. My IgG was very low at 483 and the norms are from 694-1618. One person told me that with low levels some people go for IV drips of gamma globulin every month at about $1000 each time. Whoa!!!! I haven't had my next visit to see what this means. Do you think it has to do with CFS or FM? I also have had neutopenia (low white count) for over 25 years. I don't get alot of infections--more so virus type illness. Has anyone else been tested for immunity and do you know what this means?
    Thanks,
    Tania
  3. susabar

susabar New Member

although I have only worked in Microbiology for all but 6 months of my career. Immunoglobulins are also called antibodies. The IGg antibody is the primary antibody that provides protection against bacteria, viruses, and toxins.
    The IGg antibody will make a specific protein to neutralize the "agent" causing the illness., like a cold virus for example.... Later on these can be measured in a lab to see if you are immune to specific agent.. some of the things measured are measles and mumps, hepatitis B etc etc... If it is low I would assume you are immunocompromised or more vulnerable to infection..
    If you don't completely understand you should ask your doctor for an explaination. The Immunological system is very complex... Good Luck !!
  4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

You have given me a start to understanding this complex part of medicine. I wonder how many of us are truly immunesuppressed and don't know it. I went to this allergist/immunologist and found out many things about my body. She did titres on EBV, Mycoplasma, Pneumocoal Pnuemonia (which I didn't have antibodies--just took the vaccine), Diptheria and some others. I'm wondering how/if CFS and FM play into this role. I'll post later after my next visit.
    Tania