Help! Does my teen have CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by teacozy, Feb 4, 2003.

1. teacozy

teacozy New Member

Hi everyone! I'm new to this and I'm desperately looking for answers for my 15 yr old daughter. We have a long history of autoimmune diseases in my family going back 5 generations. I myself have Sjogren's Syndrome.

Last month my daughter had a mild viral illness. Since then she has been experiencing fatigue, joint pain, headaches, dizziness. Her pediatrician ran blood tests for mono and immune diseases and all was normal. She has had a low positive ANA titer in the past. The doc thinks she is depressed (she has a history of depression) and the symptoms are related to that and the fact that she is overweight. I see the logic in this but my instincts are that depression isn't the problem.
    What if I am wrong? What if the doc is wrong? Where do I even begin?
    Thanks for listening!
  2. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Thanks Nink.

Welcome to the board, you will get loads of help and support here, everyone`s great, so please ask all the questions you want. I just wish i`d had access to the internet 4 yrs ago, and knew then what I know now.

I understand exactly what it`s like, not knowing where to go or what to do, it`s not having any answers from the medical profession that`s frustrating, they`re absolutely useless in this field. I will try and give you a couple of links to read. Not skilled yet so may not work, but promise to keep in touch anyway.

What`s happened is that she is obviously predispisioned to having ME because of your family history, depression can be a hormone/genetic thing too.
    My guess is that like my daughter who had numerous viral infections of the ear, throat and colds to boot, was helped along with antibiotics (TROUBLE). Is that they kill off all the GOOD bacteria and have left her already burdoned immune system totally depleted !!

I suspect she may have a "Mycoplasma infection". I`ve discovered it`s a very common link recently. And that Olive Leaf Extract works on killing the them.
    Go into the Library on this site and look it up, read the "OLE Energises CFIDS Patients"
    If you encounter probs, let me know.

If she is struggling at school, she MUST rest and do far less, if go at all. I took Dawn out of school altogether at 15 to treat her myself. Blow the GCSE`s, - can always be done later, or by distance learning, Dawn`s doing Dist L.
    Read a great book in the early days called "ME by Dr Anne Macintyre" it became my bible.....

For info. www.nutricentre.com

Look up "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"
    Gives a load of condensed info, and you can order on line any supplements including The Olive Leaf Extract.
    Your daughter will need Acidophilus, Echinacea, Multi` Vit + Minerals, Magnesium with calcium and Zinc, 1000mg Vit C,+ Ginseng, to help her immune system with some ammo`.

Kids don`t like proper food so are lacking in essential nutrients...

Unfortunately I have to nip off for a while, but will keep in touch.

I think you need a sit down now, reeling from what all this is going to cost. Worth it though.

Love Pat.
  3. teacozy

teacozy New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll continue to research. I guess my dilemma is this: If I go with the docs view and treat her for the emotional problem (which she DOES have a history of)then the CFS goes untreated. On the other hand, if I fight the docs for a medical answer, then I'm not addressing the emotional part. On top of all this I'm a single mom, work full-time and my Sjogren's syndrome keeps ME fatigued too! Aaaarrgghhh!
  4. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

I really feel for you, just looked up Sjogrens syndrome and can`t imagine what it`s like having to cope, don`t know how you do, specially now your daughter`s poorly.

I think the recent viral illness your daughter had was the straw which broke the camels back so to speak.

Do try the Olive Leaf Extract, why not both of you. - Can`t do any harm. There`s a lot on the board praising coral calcium, helps you sleep too if taken at night.
    Also Magnesium + Vit C.

Have you read up on OLE, if so, does it sound familiar or relate to you?

Speak again soon Love Pat.