HELP! Ended up in A & E (ER) tonight

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lease79, Nov 19, 2002.

1. lease79

lease79 New Member

As some of you know I am a 23 y.o. Mum of three little girls & one on the way (18 weeks pregnant.)
    I was at a friends house this evening picking up my eldest daughter. On leaving I was feeling a little woozy& lightheaded.
    I got to my MIL's house & was supposed to do some scanning with her computer.
    I jumped on & then suddenly the room started spinning, I got like a muscle spasm from my stomach up towards my ribs & then I couldn't breathe, (this kept happening)
    I thought I would surely pass out, my neck went all tense, so I staggered to the bathroom to splash water on my face.
    Felt like someone had stood an elephant on my chest. It hurt to get air in or out.
    Collapsed against the wall & then the rapid heartbeat started.
    I managed to get onto MIL's bed with help & layed there with my heart going a million miles an hour. I was so giddy I couldn't move :( This lasted about 20 minutes with calm breathing.
    Then the shakes & the cold & clammy's set in. Then it started to subside. Now I don't feel to bad.
    About 3 hours after it happened I ended up in the A&E (my chest hurt SOOOO much) my pulse is normal, BP is normal, O2 saturation is normal, & listening to my heart through the scope it is normal.
    I am SOOO perplexed, any ideas???? I don't think that costrocrondritis alone could cause this???? Muscle spasm????
    If the 'big one' had been even a minor heart prob, the cardiac enzyme screen should have shown it. Also the ECG in the middle of it was normal???
    I have had this happen three times since last christmas & have been so scared that it is heart related, but after the 'big' episode last christmas all my stats were normal, cardiac enzymes were normal, & a chest & lung CT came back normal.
    After the last episode before this one the doc listened to my heart whilst it was happening & did an ECG whilst it was happening, but everything was normal?????
    I have seen numerous docs & noone knows what is up with me. I am scared for me & my little ones :(

Lease
  2. lease79

lease79 New Member

As some of you know I am a 23 y.o. Mum of three little girls & one on the way (18 weeks pregnant.)
    I was at a friends house this evening picking up my eldest daughter. On leaving I was feeling a little woozy& lightheaded.
    I got to my MIL's house & was supposed to do some scanning with her computer.
    I jumped on & then suddenly the room started spinning, I got like a muscle spasm from my stomach up towards my ribs & then I couldn't breathe, (this kept happening)
    I thought I would surely pass out, my neck went all tense, so I staggered to the bathroom to splash water on my face.
    Felt like someone had stood an elephant on my chest. It hurt to get air in or out.
    Collapsed against the wall & then the rapid heartbeat started.
    I managed to get onto MIL's bed with help & layed there with my heart going a million miles an hour. I was so giddy I couldn't move :( This lasted about 20 minutes with calm breathing.
    Then the shakes & the cold & clammy's set in. Then it started to subside. Now I don't feel to bad.
    About 3 hours after it happened I ended up in the A&E (my chest hurt SOOOO much) my pulse is normal, BP is normal, O2 saturation is normal, & listening to my heart through the scope it is normal.
    I am SOOO perplexed, any ideas???? I don't think that costrocrondritis alone could cause this???? Muscle spasm????
    If the 'big one' had been even a minor heart prob, the cardiac enzyme screen should have shown it. Also the ECG in the middle of it was normal???
    I have had this happen three times since last christmas & have been so scared that it is heart related, but after the 'big' episode last christmas all my stats were normal, cardiac enzymes were normal, & a chest & lung CT came back normal.
    After the last episode before this one the doc listened to my heart whilst it was happening & did an ECG whilst it was happening, but everything was normal?????
    I have seen numerous docs & noone knows what is up with me. I am scared for me & my little ones :(

Lease
  3. beans

beans New Member

It sounds serious.

My sister had a very bad spell with similiar problems.
    She thought she was going to die. She would be so sick and in the hosiptal just to be sent home with no hope of finding out what was wrong.

To make a long story short they finally find a strange large growth on her kidney causing all her distress and it needed to be removed.

It was messing with her hormone out put and causing heart distress and other major problems.
    It took several doctors to find it.

Beans
  4. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I didn' t review your previous posts but I am wondering if you have had a "work up" for GERD? This type of gastric reflux can be extremely painful and often is mistaken for cardiac symptoms. I have the rib cage pain too and I know how painful it can be. I do some cervical neck exercises that seem to help with the rib and shoulder pain (tuck chin and tip head back - a physical therapist taught me) Good luck and take care,
    Darla
  5. lease79

lease79 New Member

Panic attack to some degree. I have read up & the symptoms are all there. But they are exactly the same as heart attack :(
    One thing I don't get any 'pain' radiating to my shoulders, arm or back. My neck & jaw just go unbearably tight.
    It just came out of nowhere. One minute I was fine, the next kaboom!
    Has anyone else suffered from 'attacks' like this that weren't cadiac related?

Lease
  6. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

but pray that you will find the answers that you so desperately want and that all will turn out ok. The fact that all your tests are normal is probably a good sign, I would think. Take care of yourself!
    Kathryn
  7. lease79

lease79 New Member

I haven't slept a wink tonight, as I think that my brain is on overload.
    I was so scared that it was my heart, but the hypoglycemia is something that I will have to get my doc to look into. I know I have been tested for it before, but that was before this pregnancy.
    My ribs are still really sore & my tummy is upset, but I am breathing pretty normal now.
    Thanks

Lease
  8. kay

kay New Member

I think I would ask my doctor to do a heart scan and stress test. I had one last year !! Sorry you a having such difficultys. Linda
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

I had a good read about GERD, as I know that I have reflux.
    Since last nights little episode I have vomited twice without nearly any notice. Nothing wants to go down & stay down :(
    I can feel it in the back of my throat & then WHAM I am sick.
    The spasms that hit me before the heart palps could deffinately have been GERD related. As they radiated from myu stomach up the centre of my chest.
    Thankyou Darla for suggesting it ;)

Lease
  10. Roxi

Roxi New Member

It mimicked a heart attack so well I spent 2 days in the hospital having heart studies! Diagnosis panic attack! Have had a few since and know they are due to stress overload. This can be physical or mental stress. And if anyone has too much physical and mental stress, it's you! Cut back on activity! Let the house get messy, dinner can be sandwiches, lay down every chance you get, get every able bodied friend and family member to help with the chores! You're on overload and this symptom won't go away until you get some serious rest! Go to bed! Sending best wishes and sleepy thoughts!!
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I don't have any answers for you but I am so, so sorry, this kind of thing can be so totally scary, and I'm sure you are miserable thinking it may happen again. I just hope you & your doctors can find some resolution for you. Please let us know how things are going, we're all pulling for you to get through this OK!

Hugs, Pam
  12. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

But only because I've been there. I was admitted to A&E with massive chest pains, nausea, pallor, dizziness, clamminess etc etc. It began with a bout of dizziness that became severe chest pressure. Like you, all the tests were normal, and I had no reponse to nitro while in hospital.
    It was actually a combination of chostochondritis, instigated by GERD symptoms, and exacerbated by a panic attack. The muscle spasm you mention is probably GERD-related.
    I'm not a doctor, but having been there myself, I really, really don't think it's heart-related. Tests (especially in the middle of the attack) would have picked it up.
    Try to be less anxious about it if you can.
    Best wishes,
    Marcus
  13. lease79

lease79 New Member

That makes me feel a lot better.
    The 2 days since this 'attack' the relux & heartburn has been cruel, also I can feel that the costro is acting up, even though I'm not hugely tender in the ribs, they are boiling hot :(
    Thanks again, there seems to be a few people around that have had the same problems.

Lease
  14. polliwog

polliwog New Member

Well, it certaintly won't hurt to have some tests run by your doc to rule out anything serious. I have had several panic attacks, and they are the strangest things! A tingling squeezing feeling starts in my lowerer legs, and shoots up to the top of my head, and my heart beat goes up, I feel like I can't breathe, and I feel like I need the bathroom very bad. It is a totally bad trip!!!! But, it usually passes after a few minutes, and I start to feel better. It has happened several times when I had a houseful of company. Stress maybe? Anyhow, Lease get checked out and know we are all pulling for you! Polliwog
  15. lease79

lease79 New Member

I deffinately am going to see about further testing.
    I woke up this morning with pain in both arms, hot hands, hurts to push on certain areas of my arms, pain in the jaw & face, pain in the neck & back. Tingling in my leg & arms.
    Oh fibro/cfs flare up here I come!
    So my breathing is probably a little worse.
    Also I have tried to speak a couple of times today, I have hiddeous heartburn/reflux & nothing comes out! I have to clear my throat first, though there is no phlegm there???
    Another GERD symptom?

Lease