Help! Epstein Barr Virus....?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by browneyes259, Oct 28, 2005.

1. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

Can anyone give me a basic idea of what this disease is? I have seen a lot have been dx'd w/ and are being treated for this.

Tried to search, but so many results, hard to pick through.

Thanks for your help guys!
    Jen
  2. wangotango

wangotango New Member

you can go to the home page of this web site and do a lool up on epstein barr. dr joseph brewer is quoted a lot in there and thats who see, he is in kansas city mo.
    here is what i remember
    the epbarr virus is one of the herpes viruses that we get immune to as a child. when we get older and have a stress situation (over woked, divorce trauma ect) our immune system becomes weakened and we are acceptable to mono and other inf disesase. he believes that after the intial infection the hh-6A herpes (epstien barr) turns into a virus that is ver hard to detect. in my case it cycles every 4 or 5 days and then stops for a week or so. if i really push myself i will end up in bed for the next cycle. he also believes that the virus makes my blood thicken (which was proven by blood work) that causes fatigue, pain and brain fog from poor oxygen exchange and nutrients. he has been on the money in my case so far. i hope this was correct and helped you. take care bill
  3. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

It is somewhat controversial because 95% of the population has it but it is inactive in most. When It becomes active it is very difficult to get it under control. It is the same thing as mono which kids get because their immune systems aren't built up yet. If you have ever had mono or been around someone who has you are probably positive.

I tested 16 times the normal rate so I am being treated with antivirals and we are working on boosting my immune system. I think you have to find the right Dr willing to do the testing and to treat it. It also usually goes hand in hand with other viruses or bacterial infections. I also have mycoplasma.

Try googleing Stealth Viruses to see the host of things possibly hiding out in your blood causing you problems! Lynn
  4. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Ebstein barr virus causes autoimmune diseases such as chronic fatigue syndrome (which I have), mono, and others. If you are tested and have a positive EBV, you most likely have CFS or mono.

I had a positive EBV test 5 years ago. Today my titers (which are indicators that you have been exposed to the virus) are skyrocketed. I was tested a few months after the initial test came back positive, and my titer wsa 600 times the normal value. I have been sick ever since with CFS. I was recently tested again, and my titer shows 250 times normal, and some other EBV tests were also high. The conclusion is that I have a reactivated infection.

I can tell you my lymph glands are always swollen, I feel SEVERE exhaustion, muscle pain (like the flu), insomnia, have trouble getting out of bed in the a.m., fatigued after exercise, and limited ability to do everyday
    activities - and when I do, I pay for it the next for the next day or two.

And yes, just about everyone has this in their body - the question is whether it will become activated. Stress is a major "activator" of it. I was under a lot of stress and had a bad cold, both which can be triggers of EBV. My husband had mono when we were dating -my doctor thinks I got it from him (the EBV), but it layed dormant for 15 years. You can get it from someone sneezing, a dirty glass. BUT, remember that even if it is in your system, it doesn't mean you will get sick.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer