HELP: Excess phlegm, fatigue and dry skin on face

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Raeb, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Raeb

Raeb New Member

I'm not sure what I have and wondered if anyone has some advice or has had similar symptoms. My symptoms since early January of this year:

Feeling worn out: By the end of the day (between 5:00-8:00 p.m.), I just feel like my body has nothing more to give.

Excessive Phlegm: There are times when it is constant and I will need to spit into a tissue. Once in awhile I will notice a small spot of blood in the mucus.

Dry skin: These are patches mostly around my mouth, up around my eyes and in my eyebrows. I have to go to the restroom several times a day at work to pull off the flakes. I've tried all kinds of creams, running the vaporizer before I go to sleep, watching my diet and Desodine Lotion as prescribed by my Dr.

Other information:
    Had CFS 10 years ago (Hope this hasn't returned).
    Female 41
    Allergies: Trees, grass & dust mites
    Walk 2 miles a day at least 5 days a week and lift weights 2-3 days per week. (Even though this drains me, it seems to have improved my condition about 10%.)
    Try to watch my diet and limit sugar, but I love Diet Pepsi and usually have 2-3 cans per day.

I had a physical in March and my bloodwork was normal.

I hate going to the Doctor's but I am going back tomorrow for a follow-up -- I have been postponing my appointment for 6 months. I just want to feel better so I am keeping this appointment with the hope of finding an answer. I need all my energy to keep up with my incredibly busy job, home life along with helping my ill mother. It's been hard to keep it all going. I am sure a lot of you can relate!

Thanks to anyone for their input.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2003]
  2. lovabuga

lovabuga New Member

MY FACE IS THE SAME WAY.COCOA BUTTER WITH ALOE AND VITAMIN E HAS HELPED HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR 2 WEEKS NOW AND I ONLY HAVE TO WASH MY EYE GLASSES 2-3 TIMES A DAY NOW.USED TO BE ABOUT EVERY HALF HOUR.MY GLASSES GET SO FLAKY THAT I CAN'T SEE OUT OF THEM.I FIGURE THAT IT MUST GO ALONG WITH THE FM AND LUPUS.GOOD LUCK AT THE DOC'S.

LOVABUGA
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

bump

glad you're keeping the dr's appt
  4. Raeb

Raeb New Member

Bump & Loveabug

Thanks for the responses! I did dry Aloe Vera with Vitamin E and that made things worse. Perhaps the Coca Butter is worth a try although I have really sensitive skin and used to have moderate acne but it is clear now so I am always reluctant about trying something new.

I kept my Drs. Apt and she put me on a new allergy medicine and wants to run some additional blood tests (i.e., EBV, checking for Lupus, etc.). She is a good Dr so I am blessed to have found her.

Even though I don't feel incredible, there are so many others who have it much worse than me.

I think that there are always reasons for our trials and something to learn from each of them. One of Mother Teresa's statements was "God never gives us more than we can handle. I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much."

Thanks again,

[This Message was Edited on 09/05/2003]
  5. coping1961

coping1961 New Member

my dad has this really bad. dr had me buy selsun blue shampoo. i put this on his head face and chest. it has really helped alot. i don't know what causes it. we had tried t-gel and all of the good lotions but the selsun blue helped the most. good luck karen
  6. wineToU2

wineToU2 New Member

Have you tried Flaxseed Oil pills?? If you are on a low fat diet you may not be getting enough GOOD oil in your diet.
  7. Dara

Dara New Member

had to say about the excess phlegm? I also have a lot of it and am wondering if it's just related to FM, or could it be from allergies? I do take Allegra everyday but it really hasn't made a difference.

Dara
  8. Raeb

Raeb New Member

I had just started taking Flaxseed Oil a few days ago. This morning my skin does looks a little better. I think too I may have an allergy to ice cream (dairy) as it seems to be so much worse the day after I have a scoop or two. I haven't had any since last week. Because I made this connection, I am going to try a dairy free diet for a week and see if that helps.

I started on a new allergy medicine, Zyrtec, yesterday. It could be helping my skin, but it did seem to make the fatigue worse. I'm going to try it for awhile and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the input....
  9. Raeb

Raeb New Member

Dara,

My Doctor thinks the excess Phlegm is due to the allergies since my chest sounds clear.
  10. Dara

Dara New Member

I go to the doctor and he always says my lungs are clear, yet I'm constantly coughing up the gunk. I think it's coming from the sinus area, which I assume is allergies. I never had any allergies until I hit the big 50.

Dara
  11. tandy

tandy New Member

too. I wonder if it is allergys???or sinus's? Both have been bothering me alot lately!! is it the season?
    I never had these problems before the FM.(allergys and sinus pain) I have excess mucus too,seems I'm always clearing my throat.And when I get up first thing in the morning I cough up thicker mucus~ My lungs always sound clear too.....but who knows,everything looks ok with FM....but it certainly is'nt! I tried allegra and zyrtec,neither one seemed to help~ I get a little more relief with OTC sudafed, and at night...Benedryl. Also I do the warm salt water nasal flushes.
    Hope we all find relief from theses bothersome symptoms!!
    Let us know how you make out~ Take care :)
  12. Raeb

Raeb New Member

Tandy,

Thanks for your response. It is nice to know I am not alone but at the same time it is sad to know someone else has the same problems.

Take care,

[This Message was Edited on 09/07/2003]