Help - falling asleep in the daytime

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Princessraye, May 15, 2003.

1. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Hi
    I have had CFS and FMS for 16 years. A couple months ago I had 2 days at work where I kept nodding off and falling asleep.
    It started again yesterday. I fell asleep at work about 10 times. Luckily I work in a room by myself most of the time so no one saw me.
    I sleep pretty well most of the time. I went to bed last night and slept from 8:30 to 5:30.
    I don't know what else to do.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I have to work and I if I get caught doing this I won't have a job.
    Thanks!
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I drank black coffee by the quart, usually accompanied by something chocolate for added energy. Probably not the best diet, but it kept me working far longer than the docs expected. If you are unable to leave your office, is there a window that you can open? Fresh air really is one of the best aids. Stand up & stretch now & then, especially when you feel yourself getting sleepy. If you control the thermostat, try lowering the temp a bit & wear a sweater.
    Kathryn
  3. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Your post was the one that I noted in my prayer post that I felt I must refer back to....About two months ago I began suffering for bouts like you described. Having now been completely off steroids 9 months I doubted this to be adrenal insufficiency....so my doc treated me for EDSS (Excessive daytime sleepiness syndrome) with Provigil....

Well, next I could hardly keep my eyes open on the highway and after a horrid experience of having my son continually arouse me as I crossed center line time and time again, I began to ask a friend to drive me to that dentist...still I thought it was just some part of this FMS.

Next I complete "konked" out on the way to a church chili cookoff at 4:00 in the afternoon! I then parked the van. The next mornng my son said I was not breathing that night and he sat guard til morning. We ran to the docs!

After a sleep apnea study I scored an 11; that is horrid! My doc would not let me leave his office until his asst. found a provider who would stay open afterhours so I could be driven to get an oxygen compression machine, a C-pak, oxygen canisters et al. Lo and behold I had developed narcolepsy!

I would never have believed it! Sleep! Wow! I can strap whatever vehicle on to deliver this compressed oxygen and whammo I am majorly asleep. I don't dare even put the gizmo on until my pillow is behind me! I have to sleep in a full hospital bed with side rails and a spinal mattress (which feels like you-know-what). The scariest thing of all is that with the narcolepsy you can drop like a fly at the give of a hat.

I have learned the prodromal signs now but between diabetes and this I have been already hospitalized and brutalized when EMS and my sick-o grown daughters called in a drug overdose....it really was an underdose but your ability to speak is compromised and it is tough titty said the kitty!

I still fear driving although my doc has signed off that I can still drive and after fighting/feining off an aattempt at an involuntary commitment my nerves seriously need a rest.

Now my ins. via SSI has changed their guidelines and the wheelchair approved last week has now been rescinded and my doc has filed an appeal that the chair is medically necessary! What a joke.

Go get the test done. Eliminate the possibility; I am thankful I had my son along or I would have had a serious van/car accident. Love CactusLil'
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

That never even occured to me. I have trouble staying awake during the day because I am awake half the night. How much is due to the FM, and how much to the fact that I am a night person trying to live in a daytime world, I don't know. Princess' problem sounded a lot like the problems I was having when I still worked, so I was just sharing how I managed to make it through my day. A check up just to eliminate that possibility would probably be a wise investment.
    Kathryn
  5. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Thanks for the info.

I have done 2 sleep studies and they say I am fine.

Before I left work yesterday I rested with my eyes closed for 10 minutes (on my time) and didn't have the problem driving so that is one helpful thing.
    I went to bed at 6:30 last night and for the most part have slept these last 11 hours. Geez, what a life. Sleep 11 hours and work 8...........................
    Will see how today goes................
  6. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

My fatigue became quite apparent when I began falling asleep at my desk. It was not a good place to be falling asleep because I was the first customer service associate in front of two other associates with desks. It was then that I realized that with my fatigue and pain I could no longer work. Thankfully, I was able to get SSD.
  7. southstars_tat2s

southstars_tat2s New Member

I get sleepy all day too..even after a night of "good" sleep. I can honestly sleep straight 16 or 17 hours. I fall asleep during the day,when I worked a production job the drone of machinery would knock me out too. I recently separated and my kids now sleep in my bed..my son said this morning.."gosh Mom..you make all those sounds like Devon(my daughter) I can't sleep in between ya'll". I know she makes god awlful sounds all night..and now I recon I do too. (husband said I did but I didn't really believe him). I think maybe we have sleep apnea too. I know I have always love my daughter because whenever I "get drowsy" I can say-"let's go take a nap" and she b-lines to nap w/ me. (she's 13 now). maybe we both need to be checked for sleep apnea.

[ advertisement ]