HELP find a doc in Albuquerque,NM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BernalilloPAM, Sep 4, 2008.

1. BernalilloPAM

BernalilloPAM New Member

Can anyone help me find a GOOD doc in Albuquerque,NM???
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2008]
  2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hello. i found a Dr. Thomas Hickey in silver city but i have no idea what sort of treatment he does. you may want to call and find out.

good luck
  3. BernalilloPAM

BernalilloPAM New Member

I am new to this and did not know so Thank You For the info.
  4. jami117

jami117 New Member

I, too, live in Bernalillo. I've tried many doctors in Albuquerque and become ever more discouraged. I called UNM medical school to see if they could recommend anyone. They said they didn't know anyone who practiced in that area, and that they don't teach anything about it at the University and had no professors nor students who were interested in the area.

I've been to three doctors in various specialties whose literature said they took fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue patients. All three turned out to have only a surface knowledge of our problem and were several years behind in knowing the results of the latest research. I would not go back to Dr. Hightower, Dr. Finch, nor Dr. Dean (rheumatologist).

Dr. Shirley Scott in Santa Fe knows a great deal about the illnesses, but she doesn't take medicare/medicaid and she doesn't process insurance paperwork and she isn't in any HMO type program. Other than that, all I can tell you is that I now know four people here who go to California for treatment because they couldn't find it here.

I would love for someone in Albuquerque to respond and say they've found a great doc here, but I'm afraid that's not been my experience up to now.

Best wishes and gentle hugs,

5. desertblue

desertblue New Member

I too live in Alb. and have had a hard time finding a good doctor for the same reasons mentioned above (they all say they treat CFS but most seem to have limited specific knowledge). I have gone to Aaron Kaufman, DO who initially gave me a diagnosis of chlamydia pneumonia (one of the bacteria that is common in CFS). He tends to have limited treatments, but at least he understands the illness, as he says he did have it himself.
    I now am seen by Michael Powell, DO in Sacramento (he uses a combination of traditional and alternative treatments, including focusing on the Methylation Protocol treatment). He requires one initial visit, then does phone consults. Although he doesn't seem as expensive as other doctors, he cannot bill insurance for phone consults, so he may be cost prohibitive...
    I have been told about Dr. Mark Raterink (on Indian School). He is reported to be good, although I don't know that myself. He does integrative medicine treatments (I think).
    I think Dr. Stollers in Santa Fe does the Methylation Cycle Block protocol.
    It mainly depends on which direction you want to take in your treatment (traditional medicine, integrative medicine, or alternative medicine).
    Hope this helps, good luck...