Help Find Dr. Ptld./Salem Oregon

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2nap, Sep 18, 2002.

1. luv2nap

luv2nap New Member

Can anyone suggest the names of physicians in the Portland or Salem area of Oregon who treat and understand chronic fibromyalgia patients? I'm not high maintainance. I just need meds and a Dr. who believes the condition is real. My physician retired.
  2. luv2nap

luv2nap New Member

Can anyone suggest the names of physicians in the Portland or Salem area of Oregon who treat and understand chronic fibromyalgia patients? I'm not high maintainance. I just need meds and a Dr. who believes the condition is real. My physician retired.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi welcome to the board. Here is a good doctors list; http://www.co-cure.org/Good-Doc.htm

Also we should have some members here from your area who will respond to your question too.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Dara

Dara New Member

and I also had a hard time finding a good rheumatologist. If you can get a referral to OHSU they have a Fibromyalgia Clinic that is absolutely wonderful. I know there are two good doc's over in NW Portland, I haven't seen them but I've been told they are good. Of course, a lot will depend on what insurance you have. Let me know if I can help you in anyway.

Dara
  5. luv2nap

luv2nap New Member

IM AN PRESENTLY GOING TO OHSU, AND WILL BE ATTENDING MY LAST APPOINTMENT THERE SOON. CAN YOU GIVE ME THE NAMES OF THE OTHER DOCTORS WHO MIGHT SEE PATIENTS AS LONG TERM?
  6. lauraor

lauraor New Member

Hi Luv2nap,I just seen you had gone to ohsu could you tell me a little about it I'm sceduled for nov.6.I sure hope they can give me some answers. laura
  7. lauraor

lauraor New Member

Luv2nap,I was supose to go see dr. may in salem but my dr. changed his mind and wants me to go to ohsu. Hope to get to know you. I'm sure you have found a doctor by now. laura
  8. luv2nap

luv2nap New Member

OHSU MD's believe the fibromyalgia is a neurally mediated disorder of pain perception within the central nervous system. OHSU suggests scheduled meds daily to relieve pain and fatigue, i.e., Alleve, Ultracet, Ultram for pain. Ambien, and amitriptyline or other new generation antidepressant are recommended to improve sleep. Some patients may have to use Vicodin or other narcotics. Stretching exercises (especially in water)are recommended (no vigorous aerobics or weight training), as well as myofacial release performed by physical therapists. They also have a spray and stretch training. Some patients may need supportive counseling, orthopedic consultations, or tilt table tests for orthostatic hypotension. Be prepared for lots of appointments at the clinic and with physical therapists. This illness is a mysterious curse. OHSU staff are very supportive but don't expect to ever feel normal again.
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

at OHSU through the Fibromyalgia Clinic. I have one appointment left before I am done with the six month appointments. I told her that I did not have a regular Rheumatologist, and she told me that if I wanted to she could see me as my Rheumatologist. She is very very good and understanding. I don't know who you see up there but her name is Cheryl and I can't remember the last name.

Dara
  10. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I just had a comprehensive preliminary exam at OHSU. I was fortunate enough to see Dr. Bennett himself. He spent quite a bit of time with me and answered all my questions. He confirmed my pcp's diagnosis of fibromyalgia, and told me that I have had it a very long time. He also said that I have a very high pain threshold, which explains why I have been able to do a physically & mentally demanding job until just recently. They wanted me to return for a lengthy series of followups, including pt, but said that they would be willing to work with my pcp and therapist since I live 150 miles away. I was most favorably impressed with the way I was treated and the apparent knowledge of the staff that I saw. If I lived closer, I would definitely choose OHSU as my pcp on my insurance. Hope you find someone that you like. I am searching myself, as we recently changed insurance carriers due to my forced retirement.
    Kathryn
  11. lauraor

lauraor New Member

It really worries me the cost of ohsu. they said $315 PLUS AN HR. I know our Insurance will pay some but if you have to go for alot of visits I don't know. I had to stop working so med bills are building up as you all know. Sounds like their great up there though. I'm filling out paper work and release forms. thanks for your replys. laura