Help finding a Christmas gift for a friend with fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doveapr, Nov 28, 2005.

1. doveapr

doveapr New Member

Hi,
    My name is April, a college student, and my best friend suffers from fibromyalgia. It all started when she was hit at work. This led to a back injury, surgery and she finally developed fibromyalgia. It's been two years since the incident and the pain has continually increased. She has very little money and seems to be getting worse daily. I was hoping someone might have some ideas on gifts that I could give her. I know there is not much I can do, but if there is anything that might work to release even a little of her pain, I would get it for her. If you know of anything that has worked for you (massagers, heating units, ect.) I would love to know. Thank you
  2. hunterwillow

hunterwillow New Member

I think everyone's pain is a little different and relief comes in different forms for different people. I recently bought a homedic shiatsu back massager ( the kind that goes up and down the back while swirling around ). It hurts me more than helps. You might ask her what seems to help her feel better. Sometimes pain relief has to be very personalized. What feels good to some can hurt another.

Any gift shows that you care, and that is what she will appreciate.
  3. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

April,
    it is very kind of you to be so thoughtful toward your friend. It is so nice to have someone who trys to understand the situation. Your friend is very lucky.
    Anyway regarding gift ideas here are a few you may consider:
    Massage is a good one, but not at a fancy spa. It needs to be a place that does theraputic massage and you should ask if they have a practioner who is skilled with fibromyalgia. The wrong massage can send your friend into a horrible pain flare. A good one can bring a weeks worth of relief. Her dr.'s office may be able to refer you to one.
    Also nice are "rice bags" that you can microwave for a quick heat fix.
    Gift certificates for resturants that deliver or heathly fast food places for when she is too tired or in too much pain to cook are great.
    A gift certificate to order groceries on line if available can come in handy
    A week or two of a housekeeping service is always welcome.
    If these seem to expensive may I suggest that if you have time a book of little coupons from you for things such as "Housekeeping one weekend"
    or "A dinner delivered" or "ride to DR." whatever things you think she might could use an extra hand with is always nice.
    May God bless you for your kindess to your friend.
  4. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Yes, we are all different, but there are two things that seem to be almost universal with those of us who deal with Fibro. every day: heat and massage! You can go to places as common as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or even Walgreens and find massagers that you place in a chair on the couch and sit on; they go from the shoulders all the way down to mid-thigh, and you can get these that deliver HEAT AND/OR MASSAGE! So if she wants the heat without the massage, she's got it, or if she wants the massage without the heat..... whatever! You can buy these for less than $30. And if you're at all concerned about whether or not she'll like it (and I'd be willing to bet that she will LOVE it), just save the receipt! Then tell her that if there's anything about it that she doesn't like and if she can think of anything she'd like more, to let you know and you can take it back for a refund or exchange!

Personally, I want a NECK heat & massager I saw at Walgreens for like $20. It kinda wraps around the neck like one of those travel pillows..... PERFECT for me, as 90% of my pain is in my neck and shoulders. But from your description, it sounds like your friend's pain is mostly in her back, below the neck, which is why I suggested the body massager. I'm sure you know better than we do whether her pain is mostly in her neck or back, so it's up to you. Obviously, if she has issues with both, buy both kinds of massagers!

Or, then again....... you could always try one of the other wonderful ideas mentioned before mine! lol

Good luck!

Hugs!
    Starr
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

A telephone headset would be awesome! They aren't that expensive, either.

My brain isn't working right now, so I'll try to post more later. The ideas posted so far are good ones!

Katy
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

I have gotten several, mostly gifts and they were awful to me. The neck one was the worse. Sort of shook my head and neck and it was a awful feeling.

My favorite helpers:

Hot pad that heats up in microwave. No danger of falling asleep and getting burnt by one on you to long this way.

The long pincher like appliance where you can get something from a higher shelf, or something that fell behind the couch. (they open like scissors or pinchers at the far end).

My duffel bag on rollers where the handle extends out. So easy to go to gym or swim class and not carry anything. But also helpful for other things. Mine was only $19.95 at Staples Office supply store, and is made well.
    -------------------------
    If no allergies: Bath Salts and oils and a sea sponge and a soothing tape or CD to play while soaking.....Oversized large fluffy towel seems luxurious when getting out of the tub. Feels grat!
    ------------------------------------------------------
    A microwavable steamer. She can put in water and the steamer part, small pieces of chicken, top with sliced carrot/celery/Broccolli/Onions (whatever)..a little seasoning, maybe garlic..easy for a great dish. The things that take the longest to cook should be in the bottom part of the layering and meat has to come first. Lots of uses for same. Sometimes I also add oinions and garlic powder in water so the flavor comes up through all......
    -----------------------------------------------------
    A "set of dishes"...paper plates/paper bowls/Disposable cups and glasses.......some plastic wear (forks and spoons).
    Napkins.......
    =======================================================
    Just a few ideas.......how nice for you to ask...
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

You are such a dear and thoughtful friend!!!

I'm sure just being her friend is enough. When you are constantly severely fatigued and in so much pain, your "friends" sometimes do not believe you, give up on you, and go their own way. I think this would definitely apply in college. Nobody has time for a person that will drag them down.

But, being the darling that you are, I would suggest a heating pad. Or, if her room does not have a handly electrical plug-in, an old-fashioned hot water bottle would do. I know you have already gotten these suggestions, or will be.

Maybe an "IOU compansionship on wild goose chases to find out if you can qualify to sign up for a Medical card, etc." She needs to get in with a doctor who could start her on a plan to get better. But, since she doesn't have much money, she would need to be covered under Medicaid or something. If she could get on something like Cymbalta, and/or Neurotin, it would help her symptoms and pain. Also there is a non-narcotic pain med called Ultram and/or Ultracet that would help her pain level. Once she gets her pain and sleep patterns under control, she will begin to feel much better.

Thank you for being such a good friend. They are certainly hard to come by. I'm glad your friend with fibro has you.

Happy Holidays to you both!

Hugs,
    Janet
  8. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I saw this Jar Opener advertised in Target last week and it makes opening jars easily. I want to get one of those myself. Also maybe a mattress heating pad for her bed.
  9. Bambi

Bambi New Member

and not just grabbing something that might not be as appreciated as others given her FM. I personally like anything soft, comforting or pain easing.
    Large soft bathtowels
    A rain shower head, reasonable on Overstock dot etc
    Soft large throws for legs in her favorite chair or couch
    Whatever she likes, a big soft gown or p.j's, slippers with extra padding or a nice cuddly robe
    A non allergenic bath oil
    If no allergies a gentle candle
    A good girlie book of her favorite type
    A journal and good pen
    A good lotion
    Her favorite linament in a basket with soap, a soft body brush, a bath pillow and bubble bath, put in a container of epsom salts and 2 botles of Hydrogen Peroxide for toxic releasing baths
    Warm fuzzy socks
    A long sock filled with rice to heat in the microwave
    Freezer pads for spot pain
    A cuddly stuffed animal or a doll to hug
    A CD of soft relaxing music
    I could go on and on but I'll stop here and hope I offered something you might like. Bambi
  10. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

PErsonally the idea of the coupons for cleaning ect... Thta you do yourself is great and I love Love Love my (not sure what its called) thing you heat up in the microwave and it goes around your sholders. I got mine at Linens and Things in the bath section.

You are a sweet friend! Lynn
  11. CarolK

CarolK New Member

HI DOVE... do a word search on this site. Type in "Theracane"... and you will see some posts (one by me) about a product called Theracane.

It is a very good self massage/pain relief tool. It is a very ridge "J" shaped device that you can use almost anywhere on your body. It relieves "trigger point" pain and is good for just about anyone who has pain... especially in the back or neck area.

With just a slight pressure you can work on spots on your back all by yourself. A Chiropractor told my daughter about them... she got one and I tried it... LOVED IT!! REALLY HELPS RELIEVE PAIN. It cost around $25 or $27 dollars... and the shipping is free if you find the right web site.

Do a google search on "Theracane" and you will find where you can order one.... THEY ARE REALLY GREAT!

Good luck..... CarolK
  12. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

thats very thoughful of you. I just wanted to mention emu oil, i cant live with out mine. surprized that nobody said anything about this too.. its cheep and always good for a bad flare up. happy hunting ronda
  13. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

How sweet of you to be so thoughtful, I'm sure your continued friendship is a joy to her.
  14. CarolK

CarolK New Member

PLEASE BE SURE YOU CHECK OUT THE THE THEREACANE ON THE INTERNET.... I LOVE MINE!!

CAROLK
  15. Empower

Empower New Member

I wish I had a friend like you.

How thoughtful of you to try to think of something that would help your friend

I agree that the neck massagers are bad

I bought this neck wrap that you throw in the microwave for 2 minutes and then wear. I use it all the time. I think I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond

How about a couple of boxes of those Therma Care wraps - you can get them at any drug store

How about a book so when she is resting she has something to do

How about a nice box of bath salts for soaking away those sore muscles?
  16. doveapr

doveapr New Member

Thank you so much for all the great ideas! Also, thank you for the praise. She has been a wonderful friend through my tough times, and let me tell you vet school is quite tough, so she deserves all the support she can get. I live about 2hrs away from her so I wouldn't be able to help her clean, drive her places ect., though I know that's what she needs. She does have other things going on medically; scoliosis, and recently diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome. I wish I could say I understand how feel, I just understand how I felt when I was alone with my own problems and friends began leaving me. I know how important it is to have a friend during this time.
    Anyway, Thank you!
  17. suzetal

suzetal New Member

To the pharmacy were she gets her meds.And or vitamins.

Sue