HELP!!! Finding Gluten-free foods

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FrustratedSoprano, May 22, 2003.

1. FrustratedSoprano

FrustratedSoprano New Member

Just wondered if anyone had been able to find gluten-free bread, cookies, etc in their regular grocery store??? I know the natural food store should have it (why I didn't think to buy some when I was there...they're the ones who gave me the list for the Blood type diet (I'm an O) but stuff is so expensive there.

On the blood type diet I can have rye, Barley, spelt or rice flour.

I'd just rather be able to find the stuff more easily, as the natural food store is not that close to my house. (Plus, I'm sorry that I don't believe the stuff has to be that expensive for one cookie!)

Anyway, hoped someone on here might know what to be looking for (either brands, or whatever)

Also if anyone knows of a salad dressing that does not contain dairy products or vinegar (both are bad on the Blood type O diet).

I'm hoping this blood type diet will work well in helping to diminish my symptoms, will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks!
  2. sb439

sb439 New Member

salad dressing: olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper (and herbs as liked). roughly olive oil four or three parts, lemon juice one part.

cookies: do you have a blender? put in a handful of almonds, blend. then add two prunes or two figs or half a handful of raisins, or two dried apricots, or any combination, also add cinnamon and natural vanilla flavour. Blend, then put on plate, press in flattish shape, cut in pieces. (If it's too crumbly, more fruit is needed, if its too soft/sticky, more almonds are needed, this needs a little bit of experimenting.) Perfect (and healthy) gluten and sugar free cookie substitute.

Rice cakes are a reasonable bread substitute if you put nice things on top ...

Susanne
  3. selma

selma New Member

Canned goods have as many vits. as frozen. Veg soup is good. A Vegan cookbook would help. You can get many cookbooks at the library. Dr Sears has good ones.
    Best of luck. Oh the Celiac diet info on line would help you too. Love, Selma
  4. FrustratedSoprano

I was hoping for more ideas as in store bought foods (especially for when I head back to school next fall, the dorm isn't the most conducive to cooking, etc) but the cafeteria should work with me on things as well...thanks again
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

More supermarket chains including Asda (owned by Walmart) have "free from" sections with a host of baked products and other meals. They also sell bread mixes and flours made from a combination of alternatives. If I weren't on a low carbs diet I'd have spent a fortune by now.

Lane was right, rye, barley and oats contain gluten so are best avoided. Brown rice and millet have been used by some to aid detoxification alongside veg and fruit. Don't think that diet's suitable for most of us but these grains do theoretically have additional benefits

When I studied clinical nutrition years ago they introduced us to all the theories behind specific diets. One was based on body types, this took metabolism and weak/strong characteristics into consideration.

Haven't checked out the blood group approach but I imagine there will be similarities.

Cheers, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2003]
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

There are non gluten cookies in the health food store but they have plenty of glucose and that is not good for ANY of us on any diet.
    Ezekiel Bread is a brand name that makes flouerless and gluten free bread of several different grains. You can get it in the health food store and in quite a few supermarkets, usually in the frozen food dept. It has no sugar either.
    Salad dressing - mix an avacado with lime juice or just plain water. Works for me. Throw in any spices you want.
  7. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

I have to buy my pure rye bread and grain (I have a grain grinder ) from the health food store.
    Mad
  8. FrustratedSoprano

I'm just trying to follow the O type plan which said Rye, and some others were ok. Problem is I don't like rye, and many things don't come made in that anyway, so I figured finding gluten free would make things easier.

Also, the sugar doesn't bother me, as sugar is ok on the blood type O diet, and I am not doing this diet to lose weight (the school nurses still think I could use to gain some, even though I have put on a couple of pounds in the last year,actually) but rather to help my symptoms diminish.
  9. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I could write a book on this subject! Seriously, it sounds like the strict sense of gluten-free is not what you are looking for, anyway. You can make many things (if you like to bake---which tastes better than store-bought, anyway) using alternative flours. It's best to refrigerate them (often not stated on the label). Buy them in BULK at health food stores (way cheaper than packaged flour) and just get enough so that you aren't making trip after trip there (also some supermarkets now have a pretty good section of "healthy stuff"). Look for a good gluten-free cookbook or blood-type diet cookbook.

I am allergic to gluten plus so many other things it made my head spin (at first!). I can't use most flour alternates either, like rye, corn, potato, soy, barley or spelt. I never liked sweets, so I don't miss cookies & cakes, but I sure miss bread & rolls! I'm also allergic to dairy (& soy, nuts, etc), so pizza's out forever!!! I think I miss that the most.

On the plus side, I've lost a ton of weight (that I needed to lose). Almost down to my trim college weight (I'm now 47) again, on this allergy diet. Plus I'm combatting years of food allergies (that I never knew I had) & the resulting leaky gut syndrome, with this diet, enzymes, probiotics & other supps.

Oh, salad dressing----I mix my own with olive oil or sunflower oil, and lemon juice----you can throw in some spices, minced shallots & garlic. Works great!!

Good luck to you with this. I am eating much healthier now, and I think you always do when you're being really conscious of what you are putting inside yourself!

Good health hugs,
    Pam

10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I can pretty much only eat brown rice & wild rice now as far as grains go.....but my MD confirms you don't NEED all these grains in your diet anyway, as long as fruits & veggies give you nutrition & fiber.....

Hugs,
    Pam
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The names of two cookbooks, but I'm not at home so I can't go look. I think one is called "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes." One book is all breads and the other includes things like cookies and pies.

If you do a search, you can probably pull up my old post.

Love, Mikie
  12. sweeti8991

sweeti8991 New Member

Hi I know a good online delivery in you are in uk
    email me at sweeti8991@aol.com