help for a racing brain????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by yvette01826, Jul 12, 2003.

1. yvette01826

yvette01826 New Member

Thanks for all your responses on my last post. Im glad to see there is some alternative med support out there.

Im new into a homeopathic doc. Im not sold on it yet, but Ill let everyone know how it goes.

Anyone else have awful anxiety. Not panic, just free floating anxiety, racing thoughts, etc. I definitely get depressed/upset from it. I think its worse from pms. Any suggestions for natural treatment? It comes and goes but I cant stand it. All I want to do is cry when I get like that(or sleep).

2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Not as bad as I used to. I believe it has something to do with our adrenals. (this is what I discovered from my online research) They're those little glands that are responsible for releasing adrenelin into our system at the appropriate time. However, if you've lived a very stressful life, the adrenals become fatigued and out of whack and can be releasing adrenelin into our systems all day long, causing constant anxiety. I used to have this really bad, and researched it on the net. The way to overcome this is to change your lifestyle, thus allowing our adrenals to recharge themselves...and recover and return to normal. This takes awhile and takes alot of input on your part. No meds are necessary, just life-style change. Get rid of your stress, stop watching stressful programs, learn to chill out. Relish in hot bubble baths, good calming books, romantic or comedic movies, good sitcoms on tv. Get lots of rest and indulge in some good, dark chocolate on occasion. Also be sure to take supplements on a daily basis and eat a healthy, balanced diet. This means no packaged or boxed foods, that includes bread, donuts, chips, pop, etc... After living like this for awhile, your adrenals will repair themselves and your anxiety will slowly and steadily subside. I still have a touch of anxiety, but now think it's from menopause and my thyroid. I deal with it....don't like it, but am positive that it will eventually go away completely and I will be able to feel "normal" once again.

Cry as much as you can, this releases alot of the stress hormones from your body. After a good cry, you will feel a wonderful sense of calm.

Marilyn :)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/12/2003]
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

glad to see you post again. Wondered if you would just leave us from your first post.

Marilyn is right on a lot of points with anxiety and racing brain, but some of what she does did not work for me, we are all so different in many ways.

I still need the .25 milligrams of Xanax once a day, 7pm so that my supplements can work for sleep. I am not as controlled as she is.
    I have been taking that small dosage now for close to 16 years. Never had to up it. If the anxiety gets really bad during the day, I take half that amount under my tongue. But will try everything else before I resort to the Xanax.

My brain racing is worst at nightime, in the day I can keep myself busy enough that it does not interfere with my life so much. I am a big reader of books and that seems to help a great deal.

Believe it or not, the comedy on tv drives me nuts :) it causes me stress instead of calming me down (husband loves it, and says 'I have no sense of humor').

I have to watch things that occupy my mind completely so that it does not 'drift' off on those racing thoughts. Programs like; CSI, Law & Order, Court TV, and anything that is complex keeps me from the anxiety as I am focused on trying to figure out the 'who and what' of the program, also 'Millionaire' and 'Jeopardy', then I will also play Scrabble!

As for supplements, I think I told you that the very best is 'Pro Energy' (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate) and 'ZMA' (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6). The latter for deep sleep and muscle spasms, and the pain. It also has a calming effect on the whole body. the Malic Acid seems to boost my energy levels somewhat.

Another thing that has been a tremendous help for me, and that is drinking water. At one time I did not drink any water except to chase a pill down.
    Now I drink half my body weight in OUNCES of water a day, and I also take 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt during the day. Our brains suffer terribly when we are dehydrated, and most of us are.

I stay away from anything with caffeine, except for one cup of coffee in the morning to get the 'cobwebs' out of my brain.

I do not drink colas, or any foods that contain stimulates. It makes the anxiety worst. No junk food or fast food. All are filled with additives. I even eat only puffed brown rice and wheat for cereal. None of the ones that are so tasty and full of junk.

I sure hope you are happy with your new doctor, and that you do get some help too. We are all a mess in our own way!

Take care, and its great to see you back.

Shalom, Shirl

4. averilpam

averilpam New Member

good luck with the homeopath. I've had homeopathic treatment in the past and it was really helpful. Obviously it doesn't suit everyone or every situation, but treats you by symptoms rather than an 'illness' as such, which I find encouraging as we all have such diverse and many symptoms.

I've decided to start treatment again, and my old homeopath is taking me on again, I'm so pleased as she's lovely and I really trust her, which helps a lot.

I get a lot of anxiety, always have done. I'm trying a lot of the stuff suggested, giving up caffeine, keeping off sugar and processed foods (well mostly anyway) and changing my life somewhat (I'm off work sick at the moment and I'm going to ask if I can reduce my hours) to reduce stress.

I've started taking ZMA and my sleep is definitely improving, I also take valerian some nights to help me get off to sleep.

I also have started using Bach flower remedies (Aspen and Olive) which are for anxiety and exhaustion. They do help a little but I don't always remember to take them!
    good luck, Pam
  5. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

As mentioned in a previous post, Bach's flower remedy called "Bach's Rescue Remedy" is great for nerves, anxiety, for relieving the queasy feeling in your tummy and panic attacks. It has really helped me calm down and it works quickly. If I remember correctly (I don't have the bottle in front of me) it has grape seed as one of the ingredients.
    You can buy it at most health food stores and it is in liquid form with a dropper to administer it.
    Hope this helps,

Rachel
  6. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

Hi Yvette,
    I too suffer with that but what helps me is yoga, which also helps to alleviate somewhat with the stiff, weak muscles, low energy, and pain. I have a couple of DVDs on yoga for beginners. Yoga teaches you to breath deeply and just to focus on the movements and breathing. Meditation may also help to calm and relax you with the deep breathing and since you are only supposed to focus on one thing , this helps to eventually get all thoughts out of your mind. Reading novels just before I go to sleep also helps me to relax. Hope this helps.
    Alicia
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I did everything to try to reduce anxiety and none of it worked. That's when I decided to try the Klonopin. I know you want natural remedies, and hopefully, you will find one, but if not, you may want to consider medication.

Love, Mikie
  8. pspatnode

pspatnode New Member

I know you want natural remedies but the only thing that has worked for me is prozac. I didn't want to start it but when I did I realized that I had never known what it was to feel "normal". I have taken it for a number of years now and it has improved my life considerably.

Pat
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl
  10. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

The second I wake up at night(which happens ALL the time)I cannot stop my mind.So I am up EVERY morning at 2:30/3:30 AM.I used to take Xanax(1 MGS.,no little .25/.50 mgs. for me)but I can't get it anymore.I wish I could at least get .25 (my mom has to have it regularily all the time,she gets panic attacks though)As for doing something without meds.,it ain't working for me.My stress level is way down since my divorce,but LIFE is never stressless,esp. when it comes to barely surviving on my income.(SSI,child support)
  11. pearls

pearls New Member

I've always had trouble with a racing brain, which of course, causes me a lot of trouble with my FMS since often it does not allow me to sleep. While I have some anxiety, I haven't thought of it as related to a racing brain. My RB (racing brain, L.O.L.)exhibits itself mostly when I hear some inane music. For hours and hours, nay, days and days (!) I'll hear that music constantly in my brain. It drives me nuts!

There is a movie I once saw that had a musical theme that was very repetitious (not so inane, in this case). It drove me crazy for months! The music starts for me merely by thinking of that movie, though nobody plays that music separately from the movie, and the movie is not very well known, such as would be the case for, say, "The Sound of Music."

I taught music for some time before I switched to a regular classroom. No music teacher I've ever met in person suffers with this like I do, though I've "met" one or two online who do. Whenever I tell anyone about this problem, I tell them I am CURSED!

My other RB problems include not being able to lay problems aside for the night, making plans in my head, thinking about things of interest to me. (I could never count sheep because I might start thinking of what you could do with the wool, how to cook a good lamb chop, or breeds of sheep, etc. L.O.L.)

I hope this doesn't seem too frivious. RB includes a number of symptoms that do drive the sufferer nuts.

Hugs,
    -Pearl
  12. Jennaray

Jennaray New Member

KLONOPIN helps with "racing Brain" or Anxiety. I think all of us would like to be medication free but for me that will never be an option. I live a quiet, stress free, in so far as that is possible, life. I don't watch TV and unfortunately I can no longer listen to music. I do read a lot, garden as I can, sketch, draw, paint, sew and have as many friends as possible who are aware of my limits. A good sense of humor always helps. I'm greatful for what I do have and try not to dwell on what "could have been" if I didn't have CFS.

A hobby is wonderful...you never know when you might find talents you never knew you had!

Good luck~!

Jennaray
    [This Message was Edited on 07/13/2003]