Help for Choosing a Pain Management Physician or Clinic More

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Oct 15, 2006.

  1. JLH

    JLH New Member

    Help for Choosing a Pain Management Physician or Clinic & More

    by the American Pain Foundation*


    If your current treatment is not working, or if your pain is getting worse, it’s probably time to see a pain specialist. Pain management doctors have completed additional training in pain medicine, giving them a specialized understanding of the diagnosis and treatment of disorders that cause all types of pain. Pain specialists use a variety of treatment options to manage pain, and strive to improve patients’ quality of life.

    Below is a list of organizations that may be useful to contact as you look for pain doctors in your area:

    n American Academy of Pain Management
    13947 Mono Way #A
    Sonora, CA 95370
    Tel: 209-533-9744
    (Click on “Patients”)

    n American Academy of Pain Medicine
    4700 W. Lake Avenue
    Glenview, IL 60025
    Tel: 847-375-4731
    (Click on “Membership Directory”)

    n American Academy of Physical Med & Rehab
    330 North Wabash Avenue, Suite 2500
    Chicago, IL 60611-7617
    Tel: 312-464-9700
    (Click on “Find a PM&R Physician”)

    n American Board of Pain Medicine
    4700 W. Lake Avenue
    Glenview, IL 60025
    Tel: 847-375-4726
    (Click on “Diplomates”)

    n American Medical Association
    515 N. State Street
    Chicago, IL 60610
    Tel: 312-464-5000
    Email: None
    (click on “Doctor Finder”)

    n National Foundation for the Treatment of Pain
    P.O. Box 70045
    Houston, Texas 77270-0045
    Tel: 713-862-9332
    (Click on “Contact Us”)

    n National Pain Foundation
    300 E Hampden Avenue, Suite 100
    Englewood, CO 80113
    (Click on “My Providers”)

    Online-only educational and informational resource for health consumers and professionals who have an interest in pain and its management. Website:
    (Click on “Consumers”)

    We hope this information will be helpful in your search for better pain care. Please click on this link to sign up to receive a packet of our materials in the mail.

    Please refer to our “Frequently Asked Questions” below for assistance. If you need additional resources please contact us (contact information below).


    Q: Where can I find information on chronic pain and medications that are used to treat pain?

    A: You can find current information on chronic pain and its treatment on our website at by clicking "Information Library." You can also find more information at the NIH National Library of Medicine ( and MedlinePlus ( where over 9,000 prescription and over-the-counter medications are listed.

    Q: What can I do when my doctor will not address my pain? How do I find another physician?

    A: If your primary physician is unable or unwilling to treat your pain, please ask for a referral to a pain management specialist in your area. Suggestions for finding pain management physicians can be found on our website by clicking on "Finding Support." You can also contact the American Board of Pain Medicine ( or 847-375-4726).

    You have the right to have your pain treated. You may need a comprehensive pain evaluation that could include a review of appropriate pain medicines, non-drug therapies, psychological support, and physical/vocational rehabilitation. Using the APF Target Chronic Pain Diary can help you with tracking the level and frequency of your pain to discuss with your physician (available on our website by clicking on "Target Chronic Pain").

    Q: My sister has chronic pain and is looking for a pain clinic in her area. How can I find information on such a place?

    A: To find a pain clinic in your state, click on "Finding Support" on our website, and then "Pain.Com Pain Clinics." The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) is another source for finding certified inpatient and outpatient treatment clinics ( or 1-888-281-6531 toll-free).

    Q: Are there any complementary methods of controlling pain other than painkillers?

    A: There are many complementary and alternative medicine treatment options which can be found on our website at by clicking on "Information Library" or "Links." Additional information and resources are available from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicines (NCCAM) ( or 1-888-644-6226 toll-free).

    Q: My family and friends do not understand that I am in pain. Do you have a listing of pain support groups in my area?

    A: Click on "Finding Support" on the APF website ( You can also find pain support groups in your area by contacting the American Chronic Pain Association ( or 1-800-533-3231 toll-free).

    Q: Where can I find information on disease-specific pain?

    A: This information can be found on our website ( in "Information Library" or "Links." Toll-free Information Hotlines are available through the NIH ( You can also find this information at the National Pain Foundation ( and the NIH Pain Consortium (

    Q: My loved ones and I sometimes feel discouraged because of pain. Where can we turn for emotional support?

    A: APF provides an online support community called PainAid ( where you can talk to other people with pain, caregivers and health experts about your experiences. People with pain have told us their stories in "Voices of People with Pain" and on the APF video, available on our website ( You can also find pain support groups in your area by contacting the American Chronic Pain Association ( or 1-800-533-3231 toll-free).

    Q: Where can I go if I need help paying for my medications?

    A: Partnership For Prescription Assistance is a new interactive website brought to you by America’s pharmaceutical companies, doctors, patient advocacy organizations and civic groups to help low-income, uninsured patients get free or nearly free brand-name medicines. This site was designed to help you find patient medication assistance programs for which you may qualify ( or 1-888-477-2669 toll-free).

    Q: I have been turned down for disability and now my doctor says there is no way I can work again due to failed back surgery syndrome. What can I do?

    A: We have listed disability resources in our "Links" section. You can also contact your local Social Security Administration ( or 1-800-772-1213 toll-free) and inquire about procedures for filing an appeal for a denial of benefits.

    If you do not have access to the Internet, you can get information directly from:
    American Pain Foundation
    201 N. Charles Street, Suite 710
    Baltimore, MD 21201
    (Toll Free) 888-615-7246

    Our sincere wishes for good health, and please let us know if we can help further:

    Ty Queen
    Pain Information Assistant
    American Pain Foundation
    Toll Free Phone: 888-615-7246

    Dedicated to eliminating the undertreatment of pain in America!

    Note: The American Pain Foundation (APF) is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services, and this information should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem. APF makes no representations or warranties, expressed or implied. Providing references to other organizations or links to other websites does not imply that APF endorses the information or services provided by them. Those organizations are solely responsible for the information they provide.


    * Reproduced with permission of the American Pain Foundation,, from the APF's September 27, 2006 e-newsletter.

  2. JLH

    JLH New Member

    I can see why you are scared of the procedures your pain doc wants to do.

    I would be hesitant to go for the nerve block right away. I think I would discuss it with my primary care doc first to get his/her opinion of the procedure. I get nervous when they want to put needles in my back!

    I did finally consent to a series of 3 LESI's (lumbar epidural spinal injections) for pain relief purposes; however, they were not successful. I am thankful for great insurance, because each shot was $1500 because it was done as hospital outpatient surgery.

    I can't believe that he would give you 3 paid meds at the same time! Maybe you should try them, 1 at a time. Do you mind saying what 3 he gave you?

    Narcotics are addicting--some people say that you just develop a dependence upon them. I think that is the same thing. I do have some to take for my back but try not to take them every day so that I don't develop an addiction to them.

    I agree that having an allergic reaction to them would be much worse than becoming addicted to them! Some allergic reactions can be very serious.

    I also take Neurotin and Cymbalta to supposedly help on my pain. They do help, but my pain level is still normally a 9 on a scale of 1-10 and reaches far above a 10 on ocassions!

    So, what is a person suppose to do when they are afraid of treatments? I guess the only thing left is to try and tolerate it, isn't it???

    Hope your next day is always a better day.


[ advertisement ]