Help for fatigue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bronwyn, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Bronwyn

Bronwyn New Member

I have had chronic fatigue for about 20 years. It's not the kind that has had me bedridden for twenty years. It kind of goes up and down, but mostly down (low energy).

I've wracked my brains trying to figure out what caused it but
    still have no idea. My best thought is possibly massive stress
    for a long period of time burned me out.

Recently my doctor perscribed a drug for me called Provigil. It is usually given to patients with narcolepsy,sleep apnea and also to MS patients to relieve their fatigue. This has worked wonders for me. I'm no where near olympian but it has
    greatly increased my energy level. I have no side effects except that now I also need a perscription drug to sleep. By the way there are sleeping perscriptions that are non-addictive now.

This is definitely worth the trouble of making an appointment with your doctor and asking for. If you're anything like me, you're sick of going to the doctor and not getting any help. Try to make the effort anyway.

2. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I took a low dose for a while in 2003 and it was a lifesaver. I don't think I could have worked without it.

I couldn't get out of bed and get going and was extremely late for work everyday. I kept getting in trouble at work because I could barely do my job I was so fatigued and foggy-headed.

There was a post recently about warnings associated with it. I think you have to look at the benefits vs. the risks for you. I know for myself it was a miracle drug.

Hugs,

Deena
  3. chloediane

chloediane New Member

I actually have hope for the first time in two years that I can have a life, thanks to provigil. I am on 100mg for about 2 months. See doctor (psychiatrist) on April 2 to see if a dosage increase is warranted. It was prescribed for my industrial-strength depression and fatigue. Over the two years that I have been diagnosed, I had tried about 10 different anti-depressants, under the care of my internist, with no success (which didn't help my depression!). At any rate, I hope I can stay on this medication as long as I need to. Don't need sleep meds but it could be my low dosage. Good luck and God bless.

Diane T.