Help for Swelling In Neck Area?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I have Fibro and CFS. My neck is constantly swollen, and make's me look like I have no chin or jawline. Very unattractive! LOL

Has anyone found any way to reduce this? I know time and rest, but it's impossible for me to rest 24/7. I usually swell on one side more than the other. I've tried ice, massaging my own neck, etc. If you have this same problem and have been successful reduce the swelling, please share your hint's!

Have a good day and thanks!

[This Message was Edited on 10/13/2012]
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You might have a goiter - swollen thyroid gland, which can occur for different reasons. It could be an underactive thyroid or other things, but I would have it checked out.

3. keke466

keke466 New Member

I have one and I'm wandering what could cause it if not thryroid issues.
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I don't have a goiter and I have my thyroid tested one or two time's a year. I go to an Internist who doesn't go just by what all the thyroid number's mean. After this testing I am going to see if she will put me on low dose thyroid med.

Everything I've ever read regarding Fibro and/or CFS say's swelling of the gland's around the neck/jaw area are a part of the many problem's associated with both. When I've been very busy, sick, or run down the swelling become's much worse. I do think I know why the swelling occur's compared to when it is not a problem.

I know some other's in the past have had problem's with this same issue. Kind of wondering if there wasn't a way to lessen it, somehow. Sometime's I massage the glandular area and it helps. Most time's not. Hopefully I'll find something that work's, even if just a tad!

You both are wonderful! Thank you again!

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That your lymph nodes are not emptying the fluid collected in them. I would get a second opinion on this. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank's Mikie!

I've had them checked by several doctor's. Nothing appear's to be wrong. It's attributed to when I am really tired and worn down. I've been taking care of my grandkid's and I'll have to admit, I feel the above!! LOL

When I'm not so fatigued, my neck goes down. So I guess it is what they say. Just wondered if anyone else dealt with this. I've been massaging them downward and it appear's to help some.

I hope you are on your way to recovery. If it isn't one thing, it's another with these crazy DD's, isn't it?! Take good care of yourself!

Gentle Hugs,

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm relieved it isn't something worse but it sounds bad enough to put up with. I'm so sorry. Hope it gets better.

Love, Mikie
  8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you! Me too! LOL!

I hope you continue your road to health.