HELP!!!!! GREASE ON CARPET

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dustymule, Sep 23, 2008.

1. dustymule

dustymule New Member

Hi all! In my apartment, the guy upstairs from me threw grease down his sink which in turn came up my sink and went all over the carpet. I have been scrubbing that carpet for days now. I tried Dawn dishwash detergent with hot water (because Dawn is great on greasy dishes) but it did not work. Any suggestions on how to get it out??? My landlord is a dork who will not help me. Thank you for your suggestions!!!! Barb
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/23/2008]
  2. dustymule

dustymule New Member

Vinegar???? Just straight up???? Will it take the color out of the carpet??? Will it break up the grease???? THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate my "slum lord". Especially since he knew what had happened and did not do anything about it.
  3. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

that works on many tough carpet problems : Plain old white Goop or Gojo hand cleaner. It works on the grease on mechanics hands and on carpets. As with all cleaners , try it on a small out-of-sight area to make sure that there are no negative effects. The cheapest source is most likely a dollar store.

The "slum lord" should take care of it. But , most likely won't without a fight. Is there some way you can cover your donkey ;>) so he can't blame you ?

Blessings ,

b/c
  4. dustymule

dustymule New Member

You are sooooo FUNNY!!!!!!!!! Say, I remember the hand soap called "Goop". And it was great stuff!!!!! Have you ever used it on carpet before???? I remember using that stuff to take paint off of my hands! Please let me know your experience with it, and thank you for the suggestion! Sincerely, Barbara (the broken down old mule who will be scrubbing carpets tonight again for the 4th time) tee hee
  5. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Try the Dawn again and leave it on overnight. Do not dilute it with water. This helped me when I got grease on my brand new brick patio (I put a pan of hot oil on the back porch to cool off--I forgot about it and it started to rain--grease spotted the bricks everywhere) but it took several straight (full strength) applications. Oh, I just remembered, the landscape architect even suggested trying some of that stuff that auto parts stores sell to remove oil spots from driveways. Spot test it in an inconspicuous area first. I had better luck with the Dawn though.

Good Luck--Laura

P.S. Please let usknow what works!!
  6. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

I couldn't resist the mule call.....:>)....lol

I've used the Goop several times on carpet with good results. It has even removed creosote from RR Ties and tar from who knows where from my carpets.

The 100% Dawn idea may work too. Just try a little of both and sit back & rest. We all need rest and most things need some time to work. ;>0

Blessings ,

b/c
  7. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

beat me to the Goop suggestion.
    Let's see, maybe spread grease over the whole carpet so it all looks the same? No, that's too disgusting even for me.

Oh, I recently bought some goop at the Dollar Store, so a place to check. lol, mr Bill
  8. dustymule

dustymule New Member

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Your suggestion (grease over the whole carpet) was so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I am sitting here laughing!!!!!!!! I think I will just try "Goop". I don't want to have to buy the "slum lord" a brand new carpet! Thank you Bill!!!!!!!! Sincerely, Barbara (the master carpet scrubber)
  9. dustymule

dustymule New Member

Again, you are soooooo funny!!! I think I will try the Dawn diswash detergent first. Again, thank you for making my morning a little more happy! Sincerely, Barbara (ya know, the broken down old mule)
  10. dustymule

dustymule New Member

I certainly will try the Dawn detergent again. The first time I put it on the stain got larger. I will try it again and I will leave it on overnight. Thank you, THANK YOU, for your suggestion. I will let you know the outcome! Sincerely, Barbara
  11. dustymule

dustymule New Member

WOW!!!! I never heard of this stuff!!!! I am certainly going to check it out!!!!!!!! It sounds like something I should always have on hand anyway! Thank you so very much for the info!!!!!!!! Hope you have a WONDERFUL day!!!!!!!! Sincerely, Barbara
  12. dustymule

dustymule New Member

I am going to check that site out! Funny, I googled "grease on carpet" and got everything but that. Thank you for your help!!!! Say, any good website's about suing a "slum lord"?????? Tee hee! Again, thank you dear friend!!!! Barb
  13. petemora

petemora Member

I read somewhere that Windex (or any other window cleaner) is really good for taking stains out of carpet. It said to spray it on and scrub and make sure you rinse it off with a lot of water. Somebody had used it on their car's carpeting with really good results!

Maybe worth a try...
  14. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

the hee haw was from me. I'm sometimes more stubborn than a mule. ;>) That comes in handy when fighting these DDs.:>)

Actually , there should be places in your state where you can file a complaint against your landlord. I'm having a bad fog stretch and can't think of them right now. :>(

Perhaps someone who's thinking clearer can give you some leads ?

Blessings ,

b/c
  15. dustymule

dustymule New Member

I also heard of using Windex on carpets. I am afraid now that I put too much stuff on the carpet now and I might have damaged it. I am going to rinse it down with tons of water and if it looks o.k. I will try the windex. Thank you dear one! Hope you are having a wonderful afternoon! I'll keep you posted as to what happens! Sincerely, Barb
  16. dustymule

dustymule New Member

I am going to check into that! I know tenants have rights too!!!!! Especially since I am a good tenant, pay my rent on time, quiet, clean, . . . . . Anyway, hope you have a good afternoon, and thank you again for the laughs!!!!! You have me laughing out loud and I am at work!!! SHHHHHHH!
  17. Doober

Doober New Member

Don't forget to deduct what ever money you spent out of your pocket from the next rent and add a note with the rent payment explaining why. Seeing that the problem in your unit was caused by an upstairs neighbor you should NOT be financially reponsible,

Also seeing that this is associated with water damage, you are at risk of developing mold under the rugs which is being trapped in by the grease. This is a health issue and not just a cleanliness and vanity issue.

There has to be a nice way to tell the land lord that it would be cheaper for him to have the rugs cleaned professionally now or deal with a bigger cost later on associated with any new health issues? I mean, grease is slippery, if it gets wet again or the humitidy rises and you slip on it, he is liable for willful neglect....

The important thing is to prevent/ AVOID anything that will harm you. He needs to understand this.

18. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

your carpet after you've tried all these suggestions, and dyes too, and finally give up!:)

(a co-worker is wondering why I'm laughing and having so much ("too much") fun. Thanks, LOL, your mr Bill
  19. dustymule

dustymule New Member

You are absolulely 100% correct! I worry about mold growing on that carpet because it has been over a week now and the carpet is not drying. The other night I doused it with baking soda and it seems dry now, but the grease is STILL there. I was going to mess with it last night but was too tired. I did write the landlord a letter. I can't wait to see how long it will be until he contacts me. Thank you so very much for helping me! You are awesome! I will keep you posted with the outcome. Sincerely, Barb
    Oh, on your profile, are those your bunnies?????? THEY ARE SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2008]
  20. dustymule

dustymule New Member

I am glad you are having a good laugh over my greasy carpets!!!!! You will REALLY get a laugh when I send you a picture of me SCRUBBING the carpets!!!!!!! All the new cuss words I am using too!!!!! I too am laughing now. I was real upset at first, then I realized "hey, these are not MY carpets, I just have to live with them for a short while"! All kidding aside, I poured a whole box of baking soda over the entire stain and now the carpet looks beautiful because the baking soda matches the carpet!!! tee hee! I am going to keep the baking soda on for a couple of days. I know it won't take the stain out, but it took the smell out! I wrote my lovely landlord a beautiful letter. I'll let you know what his response is. If he throws me out into the street, hey, at least I wont have to worry about greasy carpet stains and "slum lords"!!!!!! Hope you have a great day mr. bill!!!!! You are a sweetheart!!!!! Sincerely, Barbara the broken down old dusty mule