Help! Having a very hard time here.....Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Holly_RN, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Holly_RN

Holly_RN New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have been in the most awful flare ever since I had the flu about 4 weeks ago. It is not getting better...in fact it is worse than ever. The worse part of it is both knees are so incredibly painful, I feel like I'm 99 years old. It is hard to even get up and down. Of course, that doesn't go over too well at work, and all.
    Does anyone have this problem with their knees? I think it's like a tendonitis of sorts. My knees are indeed swollen, and it feels like there is fluid squuishing underneath them, but it's the tendon that goes under the kneecap that hurts so much, and the getting up and down that kills me. If I do nothing, they just throb.
    Is there anything I can do about this? It is just about as bad as I have ever had. My fingers are so swollen that I can't even remove my rings.
    Any suggestions woulld be appreciated. Ultram is of no use. It doesn't even touch it. I am already on Vioxx, and have been sneaking in doses of Morin too, but all it does is tear up my stomach. Heavier pain meds are not really an option for me, as I have to work. I am desperate! Any suggestions?
    I would love to hear them.
    With Friendship,
    ~Holly_RN~
  2. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

This is just a thought; I was on Vioxx and my husband tried it too, we both retained so much water we couldn't take it.
    He put on about twenty lbs in about a week. It didn't bother him that much at first, me I started swelling right away. It was really scary because he has had heart bypass.

Have you tried taking Neurontin at night? It helps with pain also. The best thing I have found that helps everything, is good restful sleep for which I take Ambien.

Hope to have helped.....

~1maqt~
  3. Holly_RN

Holly_RN New Member

Hi,
    I have tired neurontin, but couldn't tolerate it's side effects.
    I guess another question I have is this....when you have trouble with your knees, do any of you have the trouble with the TENDONS that go underneath your kneecaps? (from the top) It hurts to even touch this area. I was just wondering if anyone else had this trouble, and knew what to do as far as locally. I have tried ice/heat, but it deosn't really help.
    Thanks in advance
    With friendship,
    ~Holly_RN~
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had this after the mycoplasma infection triggered my illnesses. What I found helpful was to take 800 mgs. of Ibuprophen two or three times a day (2400 mgs. maximum within a 24-hour period). My doc prescribed it, but you can just as easily take Motrin OTC; if you do that, it takes four 200 mg. tablets instead of one 800 mg. Rx tablet.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie