HELP Headed to the ER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FoggyMama, May 17, 2007.

1. FoggyMama

FoggyMama New Member

I've had this horrible headache since last Friday. It starts around the right shoulder and goes up over my ear and even into my eye. I know there are threads about headaches, but I am just to foggy to go through them. I have finally agreed with my family to go to the ER but I don't know what to ask for. I really don't want to be tested for who knows what. Can anyone tell me what to ask for? Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. debhun

debhun New Member

to the ER last night. All you do is tell them you have a bad headache. And they will go from there. They will just give you a shot. They gave me 2 shots cause the 1 didn't work. Best of luck hope you feel better.

3. coolma

coolma New Member

If a headache can't be stopped with meds by the end of a day, you need to seek better help. If you let them set in too long they are downright difficult to stop, especially if it is a migraine.

25 years of migraine history - here are some hints:

spasms of fibro that start in the neck and shoulders can be better relieved by some soft tissue massage release in the triggers, or spasms (where the knots form). If you can get to a chiropracter (Not FOR ADJUSTMENT, just soft tissue release) and some soft stretching side to side, the spasm can be stopped before it turns into a rager! tHEY also add a little heat, or a tens unit to keep the muscle from tightening up and spasm from coming back. This is really helpful when the pain starts in the shoulder and neck area. If you wait too long, you will need migraine meds to stop it.

Migrains from constricting blood vessels in the head need a specific med to stop them - demerol, or migraine meds like Imitrek work immediately and are great. I have a running prescription of Imitrex in my home, in my purse at all times.

If you can stop a headache right away, you have a better chance of getting over it easier. That means, at the first trigger of pain and the first incidence of blurred vision or seeing spots. The sooner, the better.

I try my pain killers first, a few hours later, one more, then a migraine pill. That usually does the trick.

Spring is notorious for pain. I believe it is the changing weather patterns iln the air. They trigger painful spasms and headaches, swelling and big time pailn. Keep warm, take meds, seek the help you need, and next time get something on hand to treat it early.

Hope you get the help you need. Best wishes!
  4. FoggyMama

FoggyMama New Member

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful. I did try extra Tramadol, Flexeril and using my tens unit trying to get rid of this pain. I've had headaches before, but nothing like this. I've waited, trying to find a way to get rid of it myself because my medical bills are so high I think I'm going to have to file bankruptcy. Anyway, I give up! I'm on my way. Thanks again - Belinda
  5. maryl

maryl New Member

I'm praying for you this morning. And I'll be humming "In the Garden". It's my favorite and comforts me when I'm really hurting. Maryl
  6. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Bless your heart Belinda. So sorry to hear this. I take Topamax for migraines and/or cluster headaches and it works for me. Many people with migraines end up in the ER, I have read.

Once they start, maybe your long time medicine just doesn't work, or for whatever reason we just can't stand the pain anymore. G-d bless,

7. FoggyMama

FoggyMama New Member

for your thoughts and prayers. "In the Garden" is my mother's favorite hymn. It brought great memories and comfort to me when Maryl mentioned it. I got shots of whatever it is they give you, came home and slept for hours. The stiff neck is back again and I'm trying to prevent the headache from returning. I won't wait so long before going to ER next time. God Bless you all and please take care of yourselves - Belinda
  8. woofmom

woofmom New Member

My "cluster headaches" started again about two weeks ago. I wonder if it's because I stopped taking calcium about three weeks ago. I'm going to buy some today and see what happens. The headaches are not nearly as severe as they were before I took magnesium. I kinda' think I need calcium and magnesium.
  9. Auckland

Auckland New Member

I am from New Zealand and suffer from migraines. Min starts in the upper left shoulder progresses into the neck up the back of my head and into my left eye. I use a tablet called Maxalt. It is a tablet that melts on your tongue. It is subsidised by our Government so only costs me $3.00 for about 8 boxes, 24 tablets. It has been my saving grace. It has usually gone within 1 hour. I wish I knew why it starts at the top of my shoulder. The medication I take has no side affects. I can take one and continue with my daily job as a receptionist.<BR>
    Maybe it is something that you could ask if you can get in your country. Gay
  10. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I get those type of headaches too, I have one now in fact but I am not sure what to do about them, I have taken everything I have pain meds muscle relaxers and sinus meds too but nothing is helping if you find something that helps let me know. I will call my dr tomorrow if I am not better.<BR>
  11. sunrise777

sunrise777 New Member

Hi, It is available in the US. And it is a god send. Nothing worked for my migraines until I tried these and also no side effects, plus it works within the hour for me too. <BR>
    I had to pay cash for mine and they were very expensive so I would get the minimum amount possible. My doctor called in two boxes worth, and I still have a box and half left 3 years later. I was in so much pain that I didn't pay attention to the quantity he prescribed at the time. <BR>