Help.. how to take magnesium & calcium. I need some guidance

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Oct 28, 2002.

1. achy

achy New Member

I have searched all over & my eyes are crossed.
    I keep reading about calcuim & magnesium and have bought some Calcium Citrate Malate 500mg & Magnesium 250mg.
    How much, how often, what time of day do I take it.
    I was taking both at bed because I read they help with sleep, but then I read not to take them together.
    I am so confused. Also, I have been waking up with neausea and wondering if its the Mag or Calcium.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to kick this DD in the butt even if it kills me.
    I am currently taking
    MORNING
    Cytomel (w/water as soon as I open my eyes 1/2 hr no food)
    oxy 20mg 2X day
    Zoloft
    xanax
    1/2 Soma

NOON:
    Cenntrum
    C 500
    E 400
    Selenium 100mc
    Echinacea 300mg (stop occasionally)

2:00PM
    Percocet 7.5 breakthru pain
    1/2 Soma if needed
    xanax if needed

I also have asthma so I take
    Advair, Singulair, and Rhinocort for sinus

I have chron sinusitus too...FM/MPS/CF

Ok...I am open to suggestions, or piont me in the right direction please? I really appreciate your help!!

Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  2. achy

achy New Member

I have searched all over & my eyes are crossed.
    I keep reading about calcuim & magnesium and have bought some Calcium Citrate Malate 500mg & Magnesium 250mg.
    How much, how often, what time of day do I take it.
    I was taking both at bed because I read they help with sleep, but then I read not to take them together.
    I am so confused. Also, I have been waking up with neausea and wondering if its the Mag or Calcium.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to kick this DD in the butt even if it kills me.
    I am currently taking
    MORNING
    Cytomel (w/water as soon as I open my eyes 1/2 hr no food)
    oxy 20mg 2X day
    Zoloft
    xanax
    1/2 Soma

NOON:
    Cenntrum
    C 500
    E 400
    Selenium 100mc
    Echinacea 300mg (stop occasionally)

2:00PM
    Percocet 7.5 breakthru pain
    1/2 Soma if needed
    xanax if needed

I also have asthma so I take
    Advair, Singulair, and Rhinocort for sinus

I have chron sinusitus too...FM/MPS/CF

Ok...I am open to suggestions, or piont me in the right direction please? I really appreciate your help!!

Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Hope you're having a good day.
    First, echinacea stimulates the immune system, not a good idea for us.
    Now to the Ca and Mg.
    You did not say how old you are, so I will include numbers for both pre and post menopause.
    Premenopausal:
    500 mg. Ca at breakfast
    500 mg. Ca at dinner
    500 mg. Mg at bedtime
    Postmenopausal:
    500 mg. Ca at breakfast
    500 mg. Ca at lunch
    500 mg. Ca at dinner
    500 mg. Mg at bedtime
    Yo can't absorb more than 500 mgs. Ca at once, which is why the doses should be divided. Work up to that amt. of Mg so you don't get diarreha. The ususal recommended dose of Mg for FMS patients is at least 350 mgs., and it should be balanced close to 2 to 1, Ca to Mg, without going too high on the Mg because that can injure the kidneys. I have taken as much as 750 mgs. of Mg though for very short times.
    I don't know why you are nauseous in the am. but you may want to call your pharmacist and ask about possible interactions between all those meds you are taking. Pharmacists always know a lot more than doctors about that stuff.
    Best of luck,
    Klutzo
  4. achy

achy New Member

I appreciate your responce. I was beginning to think nobody would help. I am 41. I want to get off all these Rx's that I can. I have been reading about Mag/Cal & Also ph levels. What the heck...not much left to try

Hugs
    Achy
  5. pamela

pamela New Member

All I have been told is do not take the two together or within 2 hours of each other. The cancel each other out. The Calcium makes me sleepy so I use to take it at night. But now that I take the famous ZMA which has mag. in it I take the calcium in late afternoon. Klutzo has a great little schedule so I would follow hers. Hope this helps!! And YES I think your on the right track about trying to kick the DD. Magnesium w/ malic acid has greatly helped me w/ pain and the rashes I get on my hands. See Ya!! Pamela