Help I am new to this board, too.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lcm5712, Sep 11, 2006.

1. lcm5712

lcm5712 New Member

Hello, I am 45 yrs old, and suspect that I have FM. I ache all over most of the time but more in my wrists, elbows, and shoulder blades. Now in the past week, I have been hurting in my neck and upper shoulders. I went to a rheumatologist last year and he did some blood work and prescribed flexeril to help me sleep. I used the flexeril until the scrip ran out. Started feeling better and so never went back for a followup visit. Now I am feeling terrible again. I have to take at least 2 aleve a day just to make it through. I get so afraid sometimes that I have a terrible disease such as cancer. I want to get a full body MRI, but at the same time am afraid of what they might find! Can anybody else relate to what I am feeling? I work full-time at a desk job and am raising a family (2 girls ages 12 & 17). I have a husband too but we own a business and he is just as tired and irritable as I am! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

YOu can find articles about FM. See the purple library tab above.

And lots of nice people to share experiences with here.
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I only figured this out in the last few days. I have a muscle spasm in the back of my neck that won't go away. I took flexeril. Didn't work. Then I started getting more spasms in my neck and shoulder blades. My BP also started going up. 148/98. I thought hum............. I changed the filters in my air purifiers and viola.... great improvement. Fragrance and certain other chemicals wreck havoc on my central nervous system.
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

5. calishygirl

calishygirl New Member

Go back to the rheumy doc! Obviously, you didn't get the results of your labs, did you? If you were feeling well while taking the Flexeril, that must have been working well for you. I take it myself, and it does help.

Listen, there are so many of us here that have gone from doctor to doctor trying to find answers to our pain and other things that are going on with our bodies. The average length of time to get a diagnosis for FMS, it takes about 5 to 7 years. I have two other sisters... both have the same stuff going on as me, my baby sister went to the doctor for 5 years, and finally got diagnosed. The other sister, she will not go to the doctor because she saw what we went through. It took me 7 years to get a diagnosis.

Anyway, the Rheumy doc is the best way to go. And, it sounds like the one that you have, he understands FMS. I had a neurologist that was wonderful. He was my pain management doctor for my spinal problems but he also helped me with my FMS and Chronic Myofascial Pain.

calishygirl