Help I am so confused

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rhonda357, Oct 20, 2006.

1. rhonda357

rhonda357 New Member

Is myofacial pain syndrome and fm the same thing? pcp said yes and dermatoligist said 2 sep diseases. Which is right?
    Thanks,
    Rhonda
  2. TexasFaith

TexasFaith New Member

Who knows which is right? There is so much about this disease they still do not know. Thank God that is changing! I had a terrible tooth ache for about 3 days, felt like a root was exposed, on a top and bottom premolar. Finally called the dentist I have seen for 19 years. He did Xrays, heat/cold nerve test and physical examination. Nothing was wrong with my teeth.
    When he said, "You have FM,right?" I almost fell out of the chair! He explained that the area that I was having the horrible pain was the point at which my trigeminal nerve runs into the jaw and it was probably just the FM flaring there.
    Two more days and the pain went away.POOF! Haven't had it since.
    More and more doctors are being educated on FM. Hang in there.
    TexasFaith
  3. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, Rhonda,

I believe they are two different diseases. The treatment for myofacial pain syndrome is myofacial trigger point release, which I have had. The pain feels different; I can tell when I'm having MPS, as I have pain below my skin with knots that are extremely painful and have to be massaged and stretched out...but gently. I can't stand to have anyone poke or squeeze my arms or back, or even touch me sometimes.

FPS pain to me is widespread, deep, and terrible aching with no relief. Sometimes a full body swedish massage helps to drain the lumph nodes and get rid of some of the deep tissue fluid. I'm a big believer in massage for MPS and FM and related illnesses.

My Rheumatologist highly recommends it.

What do you think? Same thing, or two separate diseases?

~~~~
    LadyLew
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2006]
  4. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Bump for Rhonda
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain

A Survival Manual

2nd Edition

Written by Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland

I bought it at a chain book store for around $ 20.00

Lots of really good info!!!
  6. charlenef

charlenef New Member

chonic myofascial pain is now concidered a disease fm is still a syndrome at the moment. i have had cmp for years it started out as injuries that would not heal and seeing i was a work horse i just kept on hurting myself over and over again.
    i went for pt but never helped and i never had a dx until the fibro kicked in and was body wide. so yes there are differences . charlene
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Rhonda, as others have said here, these are two separate illnesses.

I think you would receive more responses if you were to change your title to include your question or at least include Myofascial Pain and FMS.

Lolalee
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've had both. I have FMS and CFIDS. Following an auto accident, I developed MPS which was treated through physical therapy. Both are painful conditions and both have very tender areas on the body but the tenderness is caused by different mechanisms. MPS has trigger points which can cause referred pain to other areas of the body. FMS has tender spots but pain can be bodywide or local and can appear to move from one area to another. In MPS, the facia is involved. An analogy is like a knit sweater which holds our bodies together. If something snags the knit, it will pull a string and cause puckering. The pucker is the trigger point but when a string is pulled, it can cause tension and pain way down the line in the sweater. With FMS, all the body's soft tissue is involved and even the joints eventually, according to Dr. St. Amand. He believes the tender spots are caused by deposits of phosphate debris in the soft tissue. The theory is that the Guai treatment allows us to excrete this debris through our kidneys and it is eventually pulled from the soft tissue which reverses the symptoms of FMS.

Obviously, these are very simplified, and quick, versions of these conditions. Sadly, many docs just aren't knowledgeable about these conditions.

Love, Mikie