Help!! I Can't Stop Eating!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Believe, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Believe

Believe New Member

Hi! you all, I have really been depress latley, I can't seem to stop eating. I just keep gaining weight. Don't know if it's the medicine or nerves or What! Please help me... Every time I go to one of my Dr.s they tell me they expect me to have lost some weight by next visit, but they don't have any helpful ideals other than I need to exercise. I do good just getting out of bed and like most others struggling just to take a shower or bath. I just keep getting bigger and bigger. I very seldom post cause my hands and fingers hurt and numb so bad I can't hardly stand it. I do read as much as I can, I really enjoy this site. I am 49 yrs. at 5'0" and 200 lbs. I've never been a big person until the last few years. I have always been very petite and very active. [That was in my other life] Doctor's say "exercise, go walking, do water arobics, watch what you eat, don't eat to much" But, all the meds they put us on increase our appetite. I feel like I am really loosing this battle. I am tired of hurting, being depress, being totally fatigue all the time and getting bigger. Please Help!

Gentle Hugs and LOL!

Believe
  2. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

She only eats wholewheat bread etc - if any in the day now.
    White refined bread & pasta was responsible.

Meds/Antidepressants like Amitriptaline caused a lot of weight gain for a friend with Fibro.

So could be one or both of these for you.

Try sticking to foods/drink that ONLY come naturally. processed refined food & sugars are lethal to you right now.
    Water`s the best drink with a pinch of Sea Salt added.

Good luck, this DD really stinks.

Love Pat.
  3. Bonnette

Bonnette New Member

I have struggled with my weight the last few years. I blamed alot of it on my medication because I had always been petite and never had a weight problem until I was 42. Last spring I cut out all caffiene and sugar and began walking I lost about 6 pounds and really felt better but I never gave up the carbs. I still craved bread, rice and pasta. The weight came back on. I am now doing a combination of weight watchers with the point system but also I have drastically reduced my carbs. I have lost about 15 pounds which doesn't sound like much but for someone 5ft. 2in. tall its alot. I've gone down 2 dress sizes and the great thing about it since I reduced my carbs the cravings have stopped. I still have my peanut butter sandwiches often but with low carb whole grain bread. Everyone is different but I do believe that people with FMS crave carbs. I've never been an overeater but the food I ate was full of carbs. Most of the weight I gained went right to my stomach. I also gave up my diet colas and no longer eat anything with aspertane in it. So much now has Splenda in it and taste great. Good luck to you!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2003]
  4. paulalbert

paulalbert New Member

1. Inositol
    2. Chromium

Give it a try. It's worth the 20 bucks.

Paul
  5. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I have spent years being hungry all the time, no matter how much I ate, with my weight going up and down as I would gain weight, then go on crash diets to lose it. I have been taking a full regimen of non-essential amino acids for about a month now, and apparently my body is finally getting the nutrition it needs and has stopped sending out the panicked hunger signals. For the first time in years, I'm not hungry all the time, and I'm finally losing weight without trying. I cut out wheat a long time ago and it has also really helped. It is true that sugar and white flour really stimulate the appetite. Anyway, you might want to try amino acids, or at least a high protein, low carb diet. As for the depression and pain, I'm still looking for answers and can't help you there.
  6. Lexied

Lexied New Member

You sound just like me!!!!!
    Isn't it horrible being hungry ALL the time!! Like you I'm very short, 5' 1"... I USED to be petite, very curvy, but little, and now I'm HUGE!! I've tried almost everything to try to lose weight but so far nothing has worked for me. The low carb diet helped for a while but I stayed sick the whole time I was doing it and it's really dangerous for me to stay on it because I only have one kidney. I've tried just cutting out refined sugar and drinking lots of water but when I feel depressed I seem to head directly for the junk food!! And exercise....that's out of the question!! Most days it's all I can do just to get out of bed. I'm sure you can relate. Almost all the medications we take for this DD cause weight gain too! When you read the side effects of them it makes you feel like crying... why must EVERYTHING be so hard on us?!?! I wish I had an answer for you but clearly I'm not a lot of help to you since I can't even help myself... but I CAN offer you a HUG and keep you in my prayers! Most of all... try not to be so hard on yourself and just try to find something to make you feel better, even if it's a chocolate bar!! (Just Kidding!) LOL

Good Luck and Lots of Hugs!!!

Lex
  7. Maple

Maple New Member

If you take paxil that may be the cause. I was just like that on paxil, when a doctor switched me to a different antidepressant that constant craving for food left. Smiling now.......
    Maple
  8. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

I gained weight with the medications.I have since stopped eating carbs.It really does work!Maybe hard when you start,but you will not believe the difference.You won't even want them.Less sugar in the diet and the less cravings you will have.Believe me I gained,couldn't exercise and know just how upsetting it can be.Hope you will find a difference.The meds that help us can also be an enemy in this way.Good luck Lana56
  9. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

alot of you said you lost weight by cutting out carbs. I have never had to watch my weight until now as I had thyroid cancer and had it removed. I take thyroid med but I am still putting on weight. For those of you who dont eat carbs could you tell what you do eat. Could you give me you day and what you eat at each meal and how much. Could you also list the high carb foods I should avoid. I would really appreciate this info. I am 5 ' 5" and weigh 143 pounds. I am used to weigh 130- 135 pounds. This extra weight is making me feel uncomfortble in my clothes and just sluggish. Thanks for any input you have. I started walking a half hour today.
    poodlemum
  10. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

alot of you said you lost weight by cutting out carbs. I have never had to watch my weight until now as I had thyroid cancer and had it removed. I take thyroid med but I am still putting on weight. For those of you who dont eat carbs could you tell what you do eat. Could you give me you day and what you eat at each meal and how much. Could you also list the high carb foods I should avoid. I would really appreciate this info. I am 5 ' 5" and weigh 143 pounds. I am used to weigh 130- 135 pounds. This extra weight is making me feel uncomfortble in my clothes and just sluggish. Thanks for any input you have. I started walking a half hour today.
    poodlemum
  11. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Have you had your thyroid checked? Is it possible you could be hypothyroid, which could cause weight gain? If you haven't been checked, maybe ask around about a good endicrinologist (sp?)

I have also cut back on 'bad carbs'. Carbs trigger my appetite, make me feel bloated and nasty. I do eat fruits and veggies along with meats and cheese.

Like others asked, check your medications. I have been on some that the weight gain was quick and hard to lose. They made me feel like 'Violet' in Willy Wonka movie!

Let us know how you are doing. We're here to support you all the way.

Hugs,

Kim I generally give a blank stare at any doctor who mentions my weight. Total shut down seems to leave them speechless! Like I'm not working my 'tush' off to try and lose!

[ advertisement ]