Help! I just CAN'T relax, and making my stomach ulcer worse

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoebe1, Aug 22, 2005.

1. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I have been on medication for a week now but feel frustrated over the fact that I can't seem to relax and that I feel I'm preventing myself from getting better.
    I'm the typical type A and have a high stress career, but also feel that I'm making it worse by putting pressure on myself and that I can handle it better.
    I tell myself not to get stressed or upset or work myself up, but I might as well tell myself not to breathe.
    Sometimes I feel like that for no apparent reason, like this morning when I woke up my chest felt tight and my heart was beating fast, why? I get that feeling alot, what does it mean?
    I woke up in the middle of the night because I was lying on my stomach and it was causing me pain, then I had a nightmare and from there on I didn't sleep very well, I don't know if that was a contributing factor.

I'm very concerned about this stomach ulcer and really want to get better, but I don't know why I am so anxious. I took an Alzam this morning, I just hope it won't make me tired and that I would get through this day.
    I have tried the breathing, meditation and visualizing relaxing exercises but it is as if I hit a wall everytime, I feel like I want to take my brain out of my head and keep it in the fridge just for a few hours so I can relax.

Phoebe

2. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

when your chest hurts and heart beats fast, but it could be something more serious, you should check with your DR right away. I feel the way you do sometimes because I have an anxiety disorder and my DR gave me ativan to take when I can't calm down.
    Sue
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Have tried the relaxation exercise where you tense, then release you muscles one at a time throughout your body. This is good for reducing physical tension in you body and helping you sleep.

Relaxation exercises need to be practiced consistently over time to be effective. It is best if you can do them when you are less stressed to start with, until you body 'learns' to relax. I realize that this is not always possible.
  4. darvick

darvick New Member

Hi,
    I take klonopin. But Catnip tea with peppermint may help.
    Valerian root also. Ive tried both and they work for a bit.
    Hope you find a solotion. Ask your Doc also.
    Dar
  5. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hello Phoebe!

First off, sorry to hear that you have an ulcer on top of everything else (it just makes things worse).

There are three times in my life when I have felt the way you describe:

1. During a hormone imbalance (my estrogen level was sky high).
    2. When I took Wellbutrin (bupropion) - thought I'd jump right out of my skin!
    3. When I was stuck in a highly stressful job which I hated plus my mother was dying. Result: panic attacks.

If you've been checked-out for any existing medical problems, some sort of stress-reduction class probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Is it is possible to sign-up for a meditation class where you live? If so, please consider it. A woman from our church is conducting a meditation / relaxation class on Thursdays, which I attend.

Just bought a couple of relaxation CDs and have been practicing meditation at least three times a week. As a result, my blood pressure has dropped, considerably, and I feel a whole lot better.

Wishing you the best in trying to resolve this problem.

Janice
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

l-theanine is an amino acid which produces a state of calm alertness. It helps the brain to produce GABA, a natural tranquilizer. In Japan they spike many products with it. My doctor said it helps produce alpha wavse in the brain. It's available in some health food stores, and also on-line through various companies. (My favorite is Swanson Vitamins)

Also, the others gave you good advice re relaxation techniques and meditation, both very good.

Also, you should probably have your cortisol levels checked through a saliva test. Mine were high, and I was constantly jumpy and edgy. Plus the high cortisol caused insomnia. I started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) to lower my cortisol and it worked great -- it took the edge off so I no longer felt so jumpy and edgy, but it didn't drug me. I also started sleeping better.

One more thing: re your ulcer -- I've read that most ulcers should be treated with antibiotics, that they're actually caused by a bacteria in the stomach (h pylori). Do a google search, the National Institute for Health actually has info on this and not all doctors are aware of this. My brother-in-law had an ulcer which cleared up very quickly when he was treated with antibiotics.

One more thing (again!) -- calcium and magnesium are very important for keeping an even keel, they also are calming, so make sure you take enough of these. If you're deficient, it can cause some of your symptoms.

Mary
  7. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

As usual, you guys came to my rescue, thank you! Everybody gave great advice and I didn't know about the l-theanine, something I will look into.
    I was also surprised that the doctor didn't give me antibiotics, but where I live they insist on doing a biopsy first so they can culture it and see for sure if the H.pylori is present.
    I was also thinking of increasing my Losec from 20mg a day to 40mg.
    I really appreciate your help, you are the best!

Hugs
    Phoebe
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

It needs to been done at least daily. A couple of times a day doesn't hurt.
  9. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I am going to try all of the suggestions, unfortunately Pepto Bismol is not available in my country, in fact I don't know of even one bismut preparation, they say it's old fashioned and off the market, oh well, would've loved to try it.

Hugs
    Phoebe
  10. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

Hi! Has one of them DX back when I was only 16. Nerves at the home front and my diet didnt help much either. The doc placed me on a strict diet (no greezy foods, beer) ect,..boiled foods, plenty of water and guess what after two years of that aweful diet the ulcer never bothered me again. I think finally moving away from home (dysfunctional family) was the best decision i ever made. PS. i would take tagament or zantac at the time. It helped!

T~
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2005]