Help, I Need Advice on Holidaying in Motor Homes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jana15, Sep 30, 2005.

1. jana15

jana15 New Member

My husband is keen to take some time off work to tour around Australia (and maybe even further afield) in a motor home.

I love the idea in principle, but I have some concerns about being able to manage my illness (FM/CFS) whilst living this way.

The biggest advantage will be the warmer weather. No more winter, and looking for a lovely warm spot to retire to.

Have any of you ventured out in motor homes on holiday or for longer adventures. If so, do you have any tips or advice for newbies?

Thankyou

Cheers Jana
  2. whit283

whit283 New Member

Hi Jana. I don't really have any experience but just make sure to take it slow, rest up as much as you can and enjoy the warm trip and time with family. Hope it all goes well. I am sure you will do great. Love Whit
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

What a lovely couple you and your husband make! I took a glance at your bio to see where in Australia you lived, and saw your picture!

My BIL and SIL take motor home trips frequently, but we never have. I think you could probably make it manageable, if you didn't stay gone forever!!! You would need to have a good supply of what meds you take, etc., so that you don't get sick.

You could always take plenty of stops so you could stretch and walk around, or go take a nap back on one of the beds while your hubby drives!

I think the main thing would be positive thinking towards all aspects of your journey. If you really want to go with your hubby, I think you'll find ways to make it work, it just may take a little planning!

Oh, how I wish I could visit "down under" some day!!!

Happy motoring!!!
    Janet
  4. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

Hi Jana,

My parents traveled around the US extensively in first a huge motor home, then a smaller, minivan type. My mom has fibromyalgia, too.

They both loved their trips. They went at a leisurely pace--only driving 3-4 hours a day--and made frequent stops to look at sights and to rest.

Just like at home, my mom would take rests on the bed. My dad would drive while she slept.

I think the most important thing for staying comfortable is the layout of the motor home. Look for one that's easy--no ladders to climb, easy to steer, a well planned kitchen and similar things.

It sounds like a wonderful idea to me. Hope you can do it soon.

Take care!

Francie