Help! I need advice on preparing for my first Rheum. visit!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I'm going to my first Rheumatologist visit since my FMS diagnosis. I've never seen a doc for all of my symptoms at once. I've always gone to different docs for each individual symptom.

Therefore, I've never been tested for autoimmune diseases or lyme's etc.

Any tips for going into the appointment? I want to go prepared. I've made a list of my symptoms. Is there anything else I should do? Any tests I should ask for?

Thanks for your help!

sofia
    [This Message was Edited on 02/14/2006]
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

When I went , they checked all my tender points to confirm diagnosis ( I had all 18 points).
    They also went over the meds I was on, asked how these were working.
    They gave different meds to try.
    They asked about physical therapy ( I had already been)
    They asked if I was seeing a counselor ( I wasn't at the time).
    They suggested "trigger point therapy", I declined. They inject trigger points with cortisone and/or lidacane type meds.
    Bthey also did blood work to rule out RA and Lupus.
    Be sure to write all your questions down, asthey are usually pressed for time. Sometimes it is hard to think of everything, especially if you get nervous.
    Bring someone with you if possable, or record the visit so you won't forget the answers to your questions.:) Claudia
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I'm going to put your tips to use. I'm afraid of that rushed feeling I tend to get in a dr's office.

Sofia
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

bumping for more advice...
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Bumping for more response...
  6. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

Ive had three different rheumatologists since this started. None of them rushed me. In fact, I was told that new patients are given at least 1hr to 1 1/2 hrs for first visits. I found that to be true. I went alone but answered all questions and got lots of blood wk before you leave. The 1st one I just didnt connect with. He was a nut. The next one moved out of state. and my current one never rushes me at any visit. He spent sooo much time with me the 1st visit. Do write down everything you can think of that is happening to your body and all the things you can nolonger do. Especially the pain and where it is worse and the times and what youre doing when it happens. If your feet or hands go numb like mine, tell them.Anything you can think of . The more info you can give them the more they can try to help you. I will pray for you and your new dr.
    Let us know how it goes
    Suzette
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Your response is so helpful. I wish I could just take one of you with me. I've been to so many drs over the years that I've completely lost faith. I'm cautiously optimistic this time since I'm actually going in with some info.

Thank you again - the support means so much to me.

sofi
  8. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

Here's what they tested me for:
    Thyroid function
    SED rate (measures inflammation)
    HLA-B27 (for ankylosing spondylitis mainly because I was having severe lower back pain at night)
    Lyme
    Lupus
    Rheumatoid arthritis
    That's all I can remember. They pretty much tested me for everything which I wish they would do to everyone.