Help I need answers after doctor visit

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Sep 18, 2003.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I asked some questions and boy did I get the answers but I don't understand what they are. the doc has temps in his office so things were rather strange.So here goes I have Facet Syndrome HUH what is it ? next is Lumbar/Thoracic Radiculitis RIGHT I GET IT NOT Myofascitis and Spinal Stenosis and of course last but not least fibro That one I know about but the others have me boggled and I just don't get what they are in real people language not doctor stuff. I was told that there is no surgical fix for anyof these and so pain control is the best optition for me. I am really nervous about this all tho my soon to be ex can't tell me that these are FAKE becaue they showed up on the X-rays and MRI .so can anyone tell me what I have wrong with my back cause right now I am in tears because I told him that it hurt here and here and here so he poked there and there and there and now I hurt soooooooooooo bad that just sitting here hurts likes well I just hurt so bad. See it I tell him where the pain is so he can poke and prode me in those most tender spots is that what they train doctor to do find the spot that brings tha patient to tears and push hard. Well I am off to have a HOT bath and take some pain meds I will checck in later and see if anyone has heard of these before. Thanks rosemarie
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2003]
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

internet using the words that the doctor told you? The only one that I'm half way familiar with is spinal stenosis. My daughter has it and I know it can be very painful at times. My understanding is that it has something to do with the narrowing of the spinal column which then compresses on the nerves. Wouldn't myofascitis have something to do with myfascial pain? I'm sure that there must be lots of information on some of the medical websites.

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time of it. I just responded to your other message, then I saw this one.

Take Care,
    Dara
  3. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Sorry you`re in so much pain, poor love.

All this termanology is basically to do with connective tissue in the spine somewhere, somehow.

From reading books recently on my course, It sounds like the water/spongy bits between tiny joints & bones are deteriorating - could be through dehydration to these parts through stress and drinking too much tea, coffee coke etc.(I`m not an expert though)

You may already be doing this but drink 6-8 glasses of water with a pinch of Sea Salt daily. (I add 1/4 tsp to 2ltr container tap water for my daily quota)
    The water & Sea Salt combined will help the system to hold water where it`s needed. Sea Salt acts like glue and an antinflammatory at the same time.
    (Don`t use table salt).

Also take 1 tbsp Flaxseed Oil with food twice a day, this`ll help with nerve function and regeneration amongst many other benefits.

Good luck, give this a couple of months before expecting results.

Love Pat.

Here`s an article on one of the gobbledegook words for you.

Stenosis means narrowing. In spinal stenosis, the spinal canal, which contains and protects the spinal cord and nerve roots, narrows and pinches the spinal cord and nerves. The result is low back pain as well as pain in the legs. Stenosis may pinch the nerves that control muscle power and sensation in the legs.

Causes of spinal stenosis

There are many potential causes for spinal stenosis, including:

Aging. As you get older, the ligaments (tough connective tissues between the bones in the spine) can thicken. Spurs (small growths) may develop on the bones and into the spinal canal. The cushioning disks between the vertebrae may begin to deteriorate. The facet joints (flat surfaces on each vertebra that form the spinal column) also may begin to break down.

Heredity. If the spinal canal is too small at birth, symptoms may show up in a relatively young person.

Changes in blood flow to the lumbar spine.

Symptoms of spinal stenosis

Pain and difficulty when walking, aggravated by activity.

Numbness, tingling, hot or cold feelings, weakness or a heavy and tired feeling in the legs.

Clumsiness, frequent falling, or a foot-slapping gait.

Diagnosing spinal stenosis

These symptoms also can be caused by many other conditions, which makes spinal stenosis difficult to diagnose. There is usually no history of back problems or any recent injury. Often, unusual leg symptoms are a clue to the presence of spinal stenosis.

If simple treatments, such as postural changes or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, do not relieve the problem, your orthopaedic surgeon may request special imaging studies to determine the cause of the problem. An MRI (magnetic resonance image) or CAT (computed tomography) scan may be requested. A myelogram (an X-ray taken after a special fluid is injected into the spine) may be arranged. These and other imaging studies provide details about the bones and tissues and assist the orthopaedic evaluation.

Treatment

Conservative treatment

Changes in posture. People with spinal stenosis may find that flexing the spine by leaning forward while walking relieves their symptoms. Lying with the knees drawn up to the chest also can offer some relief. These positions enlarge the space available to the nerves and may make it easier for stenosis sufferers to walk longer distances.

Medications. Sometimes the pressure on the nerves is caused by inflammatory swelling. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication such as aspirin or ibuprofen may help relieve symptoms.

Rest, followed by a gradual resumption of activity, also can help. Aerobic activity such as bicycling is often recommended.

Losing weight can also relieve some of the load on the spine.

When stenosis causes severe nerve root compression, these treatments may not be enough. Back and leg pain may return again and again. Because many stenosis sufferers are unable to walk even short distances, they often confine their activities to the home.

Surgical treatment

If conservative treatment does not relieve the pain, your orthopaedic surgeon may recommend surgery to relieve the pressure on affected nerves. In properly selected cases, the results are quite satisfactory, and patients are able to resume a normal lifestyle.

[ advertisement ]