Help..........I need help with Sleep Issues

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dc1980, Jun 23, 2008.

1. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

I need help!!!

Last week I did not sleep Monday thru Thursday at all. Friday morning I laid down in the bed about 9am and sleep all day and all night. Saturday, I was in and out of sleep all day again. Sunday I was pretty much back to my normal self. Today I feel okay.

I felt like my body and mind was completely wasted all day Fri. and Sat. which I should have felt like that with no sleep but I seem to have this pattern at least once every month for the past couple of years. And the week I don't sleep, it never fails that the week after it seems like I always get a bad case of cold sores on my lips, inside my nose and on my chin. I have always gotten them in these places since I was a baby. Also it seems like I always have unexplained bruises all over my body that shows up that next week after I don't sleep. I am not so out of it that I don't remember hitting stuff, I am just not sure where they are coming from? Could lack of sleep cause bruises?

It gets embarrassing because the week I am not sleeping at night, say in the evening time around 7-9pm if I were to be talking to someone I nod off like I am drunk or something. (By the way, I do not drink but do take narcotic pain pills 5 times day along with other meds but they do not affect me any other time of the month)

Does anyone else suffer this bad with sleep issues or possible worse? I have tried Lunesta, Ambien, hot baths, etc. I know there are things I haven't tried...

What do you do that helps? And does anyone else have symptoms like me?

2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

try doxepin 20-50mg, or avanza. I think you need to find a couple of meds that help you sleep and only take them couple of times a week and have a few nights a week where your drug free, this helps reduce tolerance to the meds and they continue to work.
    It feels like crap when you cant sleep, i find if im awake for more then 24hrs(shift worker) i cant switch off my brain and i feel nauseas, achey all over etc etc. Have tried in the past to just sleep thinking i should be tired enough put just nod off for 5-10 min here and there. To break this cycle i take 20mg of doxepin for a couple of nights in a row, then im back to my usually crappy sleep(light) pattern of 2-4 hrs wake for 2hrs then another 2-4in a row sleep.
    Hope this helps, also look up seroquel, havent used this but apparently very good for extremely bad insomniacs.
  3. annade

annade New Member

I do not experience the same type of symptoms you do but I did have very bad insomnia and middle of the night waking as well as nonrestorative sleep due to FM. I have been taking .5mg of Klonopin for about six months and while I still feel fatigued during the day I sleep every night for 8-10 hours and rarely do I wake up at night (if I do, I am able to go right back to sleep). This has truly been the only medication that has worked for me in regulating my sleep. Worth a try.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Wow, not to scare you but this sounds pretty awful.

Lack of sleep can really affect our bodies, which may have something to do with your cold sores. However, I am not a doctor.

Have you seen a neurologist or had a sleep study done? Before I had the diagnosis of FM/ME, I had a sleep study done as they thought I had narcolepsy.

What does your doctor say?

I have always thought that sleep issues are a big part of our DDs.

But it is very very important to get a reputable neurologist that believes in our DD.

Take care and keep us posted.

[This Message was Edited on 06/23/2008]
  5. Catseye

Catseye Member

Have you tried the amino acid 5htp? It is the precursor to serotonin and 200 mg puts me out pretty quickly. You could start with like 50 mg and work your way up. But I wouldn't take more than 300mg. That seems to be my limit. Then you may end up with serotonin syndrome, when you have too much, and that can be very distressing mentally. You'll have to wait until it wears off if that happens.

You can't take it if you're taking any antidepressants that are SSRIs or it will cause serotonin syndrome in that case, too.

It's safe because it's something a healthy person makes and has plenty of - it's not a foreign substance to the body. Google for it and read about it and then you can see if you want to give it a try. It also helps with brain fog and depression, in case you have any of those issues.

good luck

6. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

Last week was the full moon. I find that I am always sleep deprived during the full moon. Also, when I'm not on the pill, my period lands directly on the full moon. Both of these things are not unusual from what I read it.

You might take notes to see if this is the cause?

To help me sleep, I take a soma, 1 mg klonopin, and 2 simply sleep by Tylenol. If I still can't sleep, I add another soma.

I've tried oodles of prescriptions that have kept me awake instead of asleep--I think we all are different, and have go through trial and error of the many meds.
  7. dc1980

dc1980 New Member

Thank you all you all for replying. I have had a sleep study done about 2 yrs ago because I was having same symptoms and it was normal. Although when I think back I don't know how it was normal because when I got there I went to sleep at 11pm and got up at 3pm and went home??? Makes you wonder but I don't know how much sleep they base it on. I will ask Dr. when I go this month. I will also ask him also about break out of herpes and will that have effect on my sleep.

Never thought about the moon cycle...but will watch it. I know back before I had my hysterectomy when I was 30, I would go to the ER for migranes and I rememeber them always saying it was a full moon and they would be packed that night.

Thanks all,
  8. ladude

ladude New Member

a few suggestions...

staying away from bright lights at night helps.
    going to bed and getting up at the same time

my current sleep cocktail consists of

2 deep sleep capsules - herbal sleep stuff from enzymatic therapy.

.05 clonazepam ie klonopin
    500 mg tryptophan
    1/4 mg sublingual melatonin

hope this helps
  9. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

Before I got full blown fibro and CFS, I went through a phase of insomnia for about 6 months - it was awful, funnily enough I never felt bad the next day though until fibro hit me!

Here is my bedtime routine:
    Turn off computer and TV before 9pm

burn pure essential oils before bed - rose or ylang ylang

Ensure I have turned all the red or green flashing lights out - like ones on standby mode as this really keeps me awake (I even hide me glowing mouse. I try to make the room as dark as poss with no buzzing sounds etc.

I make sure I don't watch anyhting upsetting, horror or violent on the TV before bed - only comedies or something that won't get my mind going.

Make a list of things I must do for the next day - before 7pm so as not to be thinking about them

drink relaxation herbal tea or chamomile

Take calcium and magnesium supplements before bed

I also use a CES (cranial electro stimulation) machine that I clip on my ears to help with sleep, depression and pain. - I use this for an hr a day before 12 so it doesnt interupt my sleep.

I use tramdol twice a day for pain and I think this has some kind of sedation effect on me too.

The main thing is I try to avoid overstimulation of anythign before bed and prepare for relaxing.

I also make sure I'm in bed at 8.30pm relaxing and wake up around 7am if I can.

My husbadn thinks I'm mad but it's really important to have a routine. Sounds like you might need extra help though.