HELP I need help with this darn sugar cravings

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aeronsmom, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I can't for the life of me stop this stuid sugar craving...I wake up in the morning wanting something sweet and this goes on all day long, what can I do about this?
    any help would be great and I would truly appreciate it very much. happy almost New Year.

love to all Ann
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

What I find helps the most, is to have 2 chocolate chip cookies upon rising, then follow with a hot cup of fresh coffee, or hot cocoa. Then, see if that craving is gone. If not, have one more cookie. That usually takes care of it for me.

[This Message was Edited on 12/30/2006]
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Or, if you don't like that approach, L-Tryptophan at night, is what I use for my main sleep aid. It MUST be taken with B-6, so L-Tryptophan is converted to Serotonin in the brain, not the intestines. It helps with sleep, anxiety, sugar cravings, and a bit with pain.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

til the holiday season is over, I'm out of boxed chocolates but sent my hubby for choc biscuits today, told him to be adventurous and I'm well pleased with what he brought back.

For me it's useless to even try at this time of year but in a week or two I'll be back on my no sugar diet, at least for a few weeks, I always manage that.

5. Pottersclay

Pottersclay New Member

I just try and keep it out of the house. I don't need anything that will kill my diet.
  6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

---causes the Sugar Craving? ( Wait a minute, I need a-
    nother spice drop)! Any ideas or medical reasons?

Curious as I developed it too!

7. elliespad

elliespad Member

Mr. Dad, a common reason for sugar cravings is that juice or carbohydrate snack helps push L-Tryptophan into the brain where it can do the most good. Our body needs L-Tryptophan and B-6 to make Serotonin. Serotonin helps us sleep, feel calm, happy, releive anxiety, relieve sugar cravings. L-Tryptophan is hard to obtain in adequate amounts in the modern diet. L-Tryptophan is available as a dietry supplement, either through a Compounding Pharmacist or online. Another trick is for the patient to avoid proteins within an hour of taking L-Tryptophan capsules. because proteins compete with L-Tryptophan for absorption, more L-Tryptophan will pass the blood-brain-barrier if patients avoid eating proteins at the same time.

So, the sugar cravings, are you bodies' attempt to push any available Tryptophan into the brain, so it can be converted to Serotonin.
  8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Have you had your blood sugar levels tested to see if you could be becoming slightly diabetic?

I have had outstanding luck with the South Beach Diet. It is really more of a life time eating plan than a diet. It gets rid of belly fat first. It stops the food cravings and hunger pains. It stops the cravings for sweets. The first two weeks are the most restrictive; this is to get your body's metabolism recalibrated. Then, you can add many fruits back to your diet.

I had never tried a diet prior to the South Beach. I am really impressed with the results. I tend to be a skeptic about stuff, so for me to say that I'm impressed-----is really saying something.
  9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I also wonder if it has anything to do with Meds?
    Joy, if I try the South Beach Diet, do I have to wear my
    speed-o's ? I am doing too much sugar and that is a re-
    cent thing!

Happy New Year!
  10. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

There are two low carb diets on Dr St Amand's website especially designed for fibromyalgics/ people with CFS who have sugar & carb cravings. They're at
  11. caffey

caffey New Member

Discovered Baskin and Robbins sugar free chocolate chip mint candies in the dollar store.
  12. LOVED

LOVED New Member

Are you on any new meds? I am in the process of going off effexor and have noticed that I don't crave chocolate or many other sweets like I used to.

Even with all the goodies available, I managed to lose a couple of pounds over the holidays while visiting family for 10 days. And since chocolate is part of our family inheritance(LOL) that is a miracle.

13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I would be seriously looking into the possible diabetes link to your sugar cravings.

Like they say, millions of Americans have diabetes or pre-diabetes but just don't know it yet.

My carb cravings were just about out of control lately and now I know why....pre-diabetes.

I've just bought a book on the Low GI (Glycemic Index) foods and am beginning to learn how to eat to avoid these and the spikes in my blood glucose.

This also effects how we feel when our glucose levels jump all over the place.

Please have this possiblility checked out, you too Joe!!

Nancy B