Help I need sleep?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mom3, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

Just came off ativan to help sleep and read alot about getting addicted to it. So I weened off slowly but not I am not getting any sleep. Just bought melatonin to try it out. Anyone use this for sleep or any suggestions. I am desperate for a good refreshed sleep don't know what to do. I really would rather stay away from perscription to help with sleep. Please help with suggestions or advice. Thanks in advance. Mom3
  2. tes

tes New Member

Hi there:) I can't believe how long it's been since our last conversation. I just noticed your post. I'm not quite sure if you remember me....I am from Toronto. We used to talk alot with another member...onesmileymyley. I have not seen any posts from her in years. I hope she is well.

I am suffering again with bladder infections and for some reason, I am not reacting to antibiotics and it is scaring me. I am on a third kind of anitbiotic since last Tuesday, because the other 2 she prescribed aren't clearing me up. Have you ever had bladder infections?

I recently weaned myself of clonazepam to help me sleep at night. I used it more for pain control and notice more pain than ever. I have no problem staying asleep.....when the pain lets me. Why did you wean off your sleeping pill? How long were you taking it? Hope all is well with the hubby and kids......talk to you soon:)

Tes
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Be careful with the Melatonin. Getting the dose and timing figured out can be tricky. If you get it wrong, you can make your sleep problems worse, like I did.

Non-pharmaceutical products are often not as strong as pharmaceuticals, so it can be useful to combine several. Some things to consider:

If you are physically capable of it, some mild exercise several hours before bedtime. An after supper walk, for example.

A warm, not hot, bath or shower a couple of hours before bed.

A relaxing herbal tea. Some are chamomile, passion flower, valerian, kava kava, and various blends. Use kava kava only occasionally. Regular use can be bad for your liver.

Avoid any stimulating activity the last hour before bed. Listen to ‘appropriate’ music - I find fairly upbeat music mellows me out. Read only non-page-turners. Avoid the often unpleasant newspapers and news magazines. If you do any kind of needlework, handicraft or art, that may be relaxing.

Take a supplement that helps with sleep. A lot of people here have had good luck with ZMA. The Morning Shake also helps with sleep. The neurotransmitters involved in sleep are produced in the mornings and the Morning shake provides the nutrients needed to produce them. Some like amino acids such as L-Tyrosine, GABA, L-Theanine or L-Tryptophan. L-Tryptophan should be taken with B-6. Others like SAM-E or Valerian root. Valerian root can cause morning ‘hang-over’. 5-HTP may help, unless your insomnia is caused by a lack or REM sleep. 5-HTP suppresses REM sleep. If you have high cortisol, Seriphos can help.

Block all light from your bedroom or use a sleep mask. If your bedroom is noisy, use something to create ‘white noise’ (sound machine, electric fan) or ear plugs.

When you get to bed, practice some relaxation technique(s) such as relaxing breathing or progressive muscle relaxation.

I think this is a pretty good start. Others will probably have more to add.

P.S. I know you asked for non-prescription suggestions, but if you have CFS and an up-regulated autonomic nervous system, it may take something like Xanax or Klonopin to correct it.[This Message was Edited on 04/04/2006]
  4. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

We are in this together lol...I too am exhausted and would love a nice refreshing sleep. Here's wishing you peaceful dreams!
  5. mom4three

mom4three New Member

I have for a long time. I don't have to use anything else.
    It is great. Start out low and increase slow until you get your desired effect. It is safe. And works great.
    My doctor loves it too.
  6. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

Thanks for all your replies, and helpful suggestions. I did take melatonin last night did have some sleep but I don't feel very refreshed. I do take a hot bath just before bedtime with epson salt and drink herbal decaf teas too without any sugar. But that is not enough to make me fall asleep. I must admit since I have been diagnosed with fibro and my health declined I also get anxiety and at night is my worst. I have been focusing on breathing techniques and relaxation and the ativan helped. But I have read alot of negative things about it and how it is addictive. I really hate being dependant on any pill for sleep. I used to have no problem sleeping, oh how frustrating it is.
    Thanks everyone,

Tes, oh I remember you of course, I thought about you and how are you doing? I get bladder infections too, it did clear up after my antibioctic. Did the doctor say why it's not working. So glad to hear from you. I would like to catch up with you, I'll look for your post. Is there a chit chat on this board? Mom3
  7. taniazcatz

taniazcatz New Member

Several years ago a physician recommended that I try valerian root for my insomnia( I hadnt been diagnosed with FMS yet). It's a herb that is pretty affordable, you can get it at walmart for $4-5. I began taking 2 pills before bed and then went to 3 pills a night and it helped. I will warn you that this stuff stinks, its awful, but if you hold your breath until you pop the pills into your mouth that usually helps. I didnt feel hung over the next day either. I hope that helps. Take Care!
  8. elliespad

elliespad Member

I use L-Tryptophan 1500 mg. at night. This is an amino acid available by Prescription at Compounding Pharmacies, or online, without Rx. I do NOT recommend the brand, Doctors Best. It is CRAP in my opinion. Some brands that I have used and recommend are: BIOS, Litdke, Craig, Nokomis. This should be taken AWAY from other protein sources as the amino acids will compete for uptake in the brain. Also, MUST be taken with Vit B-6 so conversion to Serotonin in done in the brain and not the intestines. At that same dose, you will spend about $40-60 per month. I have been using this for 4 or 5 years.

I also recently added Rest & Restore. This contains several ingredients, the main one being GABA. This also contains: Thianine, Melatonin, Skillcap, PassionFlower. The GABA you can buy in any good health food store. I also take Doxepin 10 mg. which is a pittance. I used to take 125 mg. till I found these. Together, these let me sleep 7-9 hours. Give it a try, you'll be sold.
  9. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I bought some "Calms" for my 17 year old son because he has a tough workload at school this term and has been stressed during the day and like me can't shut his brain off at night to get a good nights sleep. I didn't want him to start having to use meds like me so I remebered from years ago that I used them to help me sleep after my mom died because my doctor would only give me enough Lorazepam for 10 days, which was fine by me because I have never been one to take meds (now that has all changed now because of the fibro, but not by choice) Anyways, I give him one at night and within 1/2 hour he is sound asleep and wakes up feeling great. You can take it during the day too for stress anxiety without it making you sleepy, it's funny how that works. It is made in the U.S. so I am sure you can get it there at a Health Food Store. It is made by Hyland's and it is a homeopathic remedy called "Calms". Hope it helps.
  10. VJH

VJH New Member

I also stopped taking sleeping pills (ambien) after 5 years on it. Haven't had a good night's sleep since. The only change I've made is that I'm just allowing myself to nap when I need it. I used to fight napping. I give into it now. Docs tell me I won't get better and will definitely get worse if I don't sleep. Easier said than done. I wish you much luck with this issue.
  11. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

I take four 250 mg. magnesium oxide pills at bedtime. I get them from the drugstore vitamins shelf, inexpensive, too.

Is it that you are taking the magnesium oxide right before bed, or are you just taking them during the day and you are falling asleep at night?.. Are you actually staying asleep from it?

I was taking Coral Calcium and a Magnesium combination a while ago, and i'm thinking of doing that again, especially the magnesium oxide. It seemed to help me stay asleep, which now i'm getting lots of the Fibro/CFS waking at 3 am and waking every half hour or hour after that, if i can get back to sleep.

MAG oxide sounds like a great idea!!??
  12. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

Okay last night I took the meletonin and 2 magnesium and I slept all night, I feel better today and will try it again. Thanks for the advice all. Mom3
  13. Empower

Empower New Member

I took Ativan for awhile, and found it to be really hard on your body.

I think you will have a problem for a little while with your sleep since you weaned off the Ativan, but your body should adjust.

I have ups and downs with sleep problems. Do you have problems falling asleep or staying asleep?
  14. Beth009

Beth009 New Member

Hi Mona,

Thank you for the post. I took small doses of Ativan and my doc warned me of the addictive properties of this drug. He gave me a sample of Rozerem, (non-addictive sleep aid), stating that this has worked in about 50% of his fibro patients. He mentioned that this sleep aid reaches all 4 levels needed by the body. I have not tried it yet but will soon.

I appreciate all the postings and do want to try the magnesium oxide ...always looking for the safest way to approach this problem.

My best,

Brooke
  15. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

I have trouble falling asleep and then my anxiety starts and my mind is all over the place, then when I finally fall asleep maybe around 4:30am wake up and stay awake tossing and turning until 7:00am then crash out again and I feel like a zombie.
    I must say though today feel better, last night took melatonin and 2 magnesium malate and was very sleepy, had no problem falling asleep and also stayed asleep. I am crossing my fingers. Mom3
  16. Densgirl

Densgirl New Member

After reading your post, if your infection does not clear up or stay that way, you may want to be checked out for Intersistial Cystitis. It's another autoimmune condition.
    I have it and finally found out after many anitbiotics and drinking gallons of cranberry juice that only made it worse. When it flares it can mimic a bladder infection. I have been in remission for months none, but when it flares it's very painful and you feel like you have to go all the time. I hope you don't have it. Good Luck!

Pat
  17. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

750mg tryptophan (2 hours before bed)
    500mg Ashwagandha (2hours before bed)

500mg GABA at bedtime
    1mg melatonin at bedtime
    25mg DHEA at bedtime

The ashwa and the trptophan are the most important to me, the GABA and melatonin are just to nod me off at bedtime...I'm getting about 5 nights a week good sleep on this regimen...good luck.
  18. BonnieR

BonnieR New Member

I have been using ativan for years. I see where you weaned yourself off of it. May I ask how you did this? I take 2 1mg. pills everyday. It does help me sleep, but I never wake up feeling refreshed. I would love to know what that feeling is again.
    Any help would be appreciated with weaning.

Thanks,
    Bonnie
  19. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

I was taking half a 1mg pill of ativan, I slowly broke it even smaller and did that for a few days then I broke it even smaller. I took half a pill for 2 years every night. Although it's a small dosage my body still was very much used to it. Good luck to you maybe you can get more suggestions from the wonderful people on this board and also be sure to ask your doctor too.
    Mom3