Help I Need Sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I started having sleep issues 3 weeks ago, (the night b4 a dreaded root canal)

I CANNOT fall asleep until 4 or 5 in the morning, no matter what time I go to bed. I do all the good sleep stuff - no caffiene, try to walk in day, dark room, sleep mask, earplugs, fan to drown out noise.

It is like my brain just won't turn off!!

I took Ativan a couple of nights and it worked. Last night, took one, and was STILL up all night, even after a couple of cups of chamomille tea

Doctor prescribed Remeron. I have taken it b4 and it did work, I PRAY that it will work! I can't take this anymore. I am a total zombie and don't know what I am doing

It used to be that if I didn't sleep at night, I could sleep during the day, but that ain't happening either!!!!

Any good suggestions other than the Remeron??
  2. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

will you accept Rx?

My shrink gives me Halcion and Xanax, and it works if I turn off the computer and
    go to bed. I'm on lowest doses of both, and I sleep like a rock!

Seven hrs a night like clockwork. I know they say you don't get stage 4 sleep
    with halcion, but I wake up refreshed and stretch out in bed and I'm pretty ready
    to go hot 'n heavy for 4 hrs or so, then make dinner. Usually sit and watch TV or read until 9:30, then sleep for 1.5 hrs with one Xanax. Wake and do whatever (phone with other PWC/MEs, read, tennis (U.S. Open), or do some laundry also.

Then back to sleep at 4 a.m., up at 11 or 11:30.

If you go this route know this: my dr. said 'no, don't wean off of it; you are on the
    lowest possible dose, and yes, you may be dependent on it, but you are functioning so well, you need it and it's helping you'. I've been taking it for 8 years or so. No hangover, druggy feeling or anything.

Hope you can find a solution that 'fits' you...and sleep like a baby!

3. Empower

Empower New Member

Thanks for your replies

I started taking Remeron 2 nights ago, and have been able to sleep (although not well) but better than nothing!

I hate the Remeron - I remember now why I stopped taking it - just feel yucky on it, tired, headache, blah

Anyway, Glen, I think I had posted to one of your posts about Effexor and BP. I did notice some dysautonomia on it, but I don't know if it is any better now

I don't know which is worse - no sleep or feeling so yucky on the Remeron
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Melatonin (I take 3 mg. before bed)
    l-theanine - amino acid which helps brain produce GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter which is very calming - I take 200 mg. before bed

calcium and magnesium - also tranqulizing

Also, your cortisol levels may be high at night, which can cause insomnia. Stress (e.g., dread of a root canal) can raise cortisol. An Adrenal Stress Index Test (a saliva test) measures your cortisol levels 4 times during the day/night. Mine were quite high at night several years ago and I had severe middle of the night insomnia, and I was told to take Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) to normalize my cortisol levels. It worked almost immediately, I felt calmer but not drugged or sedated. However, if your cortisol levels are low, Seripos can cause them to go too low. I had the ASI test done through Clymer Healing Research (on-line - we did everything by e-mail, phone and regular mail). I also had it done once by a naturopath, a very valuable and too often overlooked test.

5. Empower

Empower New Member

I feel that I am getting adrenaline rushes when I am laying in bed, ie b4 the root canal, and one night I was really mad at my hubby

Where do you take these adrenal tests?
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Empower - well, any doctor can order the test. If your doctor won't or doesn't know about it, one option is to have it done through the Clymer Healing Research Center. They are at - you can e-mail or call them to get information. THey're in Pennsylvania, I'm in California, so I dealt with them via phone, e-mail and regular mail.

Another option would be to find a naturopath or integrative doc who can order the test.

If your cortisol is high, the Seriphos will make a huge difference, but you should have the test done first.

I had a good experience dealing with the Clymer Center and don't hesitate to recommend them.