Help I need sleep!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by annetteg1969, Jul 27, 2003.

1. annetteg1969

annetteg1969 New Member

It is 4AM and I've been up all night I just can't sleep.I've taken Tylenol PM,Trazadone,and Benadryl.They all make me vomit every night I need to sleep before I lose It can anyone help me?
  2. rlnia

rlnia New Member

If you are vomitting every night, ask to get phenergan 50 mg. I use to have my friends at work, give me a shot of it, where we all worked as nurses, as I would get migrains, and anything by mouth would make me vomit. Don't let them give you suppositories, they cause worse problems, ask them for a pharmacy that makes liquid phenergan or patches. Try a Epsom Salt warm bath, lights low, warm milk, Do you have any flexeril? Ambien will help for a few weeks but, builds up a tolerance. I use Xanax 1 mg. and 2 flexeril. The problem is that the Xanax is addictive and you don't go into stage 4 sleep, the sleep you need to get. Maybe even a .5 Xanax and a flexeril. Try to read. Listen to low classical music. Try biofeedback. Good Luck
  3. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

I know exactly how you feel, I have many sleepless nights and pay for it durning day light hours.

I have found the following very helpful in times like yours. A cup or two of mint tea or camomile tea to help calm down. Fresh catnip tea is a good sedative also. I know tea seems like a kind of a wonkie suggestion, but taking more medication is not the answer, you don't want to over do it. If you are vomitting try ginger fresh or ginger powder in a cup of hot water or you can eat fresh ginger on its own (it is spicy). It is a God sent. It really works and fast too!

I also use relaxation CDs, like soothing music, self hypnosis or self healing. I use them every night and they help take your mind off of not be able to sleep.

Hope this helps and sending you ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZs,
    Rachel

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This helps me get 7-8 hours of quality sleep without grogginess during the day.

Love, Mikie
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Someone suggested wild lettuce tea in another post.

When Benadryl doesn't work for me, I've been taking Unisom (doxylamine succinate) along with 1 or 2 Valerian Root capsules (500mg each). Do not get the sleep gels, since they have the same med as Benadryl.

Lately I've been tapering off the Valerian Root (for a reason) and will be talking to my doc about Klonopin at my next appt.
  6. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

The only thing that has really helped me sleep is Remeron (an antidepressant)

You may want to talk to your doctor about it and DEFINITELY start out at a low dose, because it is VERY sedating
  7. Banka8

Banka8 New Member

I had problems getting to sleep for years and have just recently discovered a few things that really help me. The first thing is Advil. I take one at night and it helps me fall asleep. I have read recently that it does cause sleepiness in some people. Second is natural progesterone creme. It's not just for menopausal mini's (which I am). Get Dr. John Lee's book on menopause. You can put in his name on google and get lot's of info on him. I put the progesterone on at night and it makes me sleepy. It also helps with pms and is good for your bones. Last of all check the medications you are taking to make sure the side effects are not contributing to your insomnia.
    That's all.
    Banka8
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have spent a lifetime of not sleeping, it did not bother me untill I got FM. I still went on like you (except for the vomiting). Nothing really helped for any length of time.

I have now been sleeping 7-8 hours a night without waking for 17 months now. Yes, I could tell you the 'night' date and time, I started to sleep all those wonderful hours!

Heres what I take;

7pm o.25 milligrams of Xanax (for racing brain syndrome)

9pm 2 capsules of ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) This is the 'key' element to the deep sleep, stopped my RLS, spasms and night pain.

Right before bed, 1 sublingual (2 1/2 milligrams) of Melatonin. This helps me 'fall asleep'.

I took the Xanax and the Melatonin before starting the ZMA, I was still waking up 10 times are more a night. But after incorpororating the ZMA in this nightly cocktail, I am really sleeping deeply without waking up.

It will not happen the first night, it took me about 10 days to get the real benefits from the ZMA. The longer I take it, the better my sleep is.

It is sold here at ProHealth, just check the 'Store' link at the top of this page. Also if you buy it in the health food stores, be SURE you get the SNAC brand (that is what ProHealth now sells for us, its cheaper than the healthfood stores too), I have tried other brands and they do not work.

I sure hope this helps. When I first came to this board I was here all night long. Now I am sleeping at the least for 1am, that is my choice, if I go to sleep too early I will wake in the middle of the night.

I have always been a night person, so I found a happy medium for myself. I go to bed at midnight and can get up at 8 or 9 am. Thats fine with me, but others need to make their own schedule.

Take care, and give it a try...........

Shalom,Shirl

9. MiahRoo

MiahRoo New Member

For years, especially in my teens, I dealt with horrible nausea every night. In fact my mother would find me in the morning before school quite often sleeping with my pillow and blanket on the tile floor next to the toilet. Sleeping medications, even herbal, gentle ones would make me vomit. No Doctor ever offered me any kind of relief for this. The only thing that ever gave me slight relief was lemon ginger tea which I still drink to this day. (right now as a matter of fact!) But now my doctor has blessed me with Zofran. It has been a life saver concerning my nausea! ODT so it just disolves in your mouth very quickly without having to swallow hardly any at all. Perhaps something like Zofran or what was mentioned above might help you? I'll send you healing thoughts and wish you your much needed sleep.