HELP? i need some suggestions for constipation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nje, Apr 19, 2006.

1. nje

nje New Member

i hated having to ask people that question but i`m desparate i had a colonostomy last tuesday, since then i have only been one time and that was with a harsh laxative. i never had that trouble before that Doctor like to have killed me doing the darn thing. everybody else can get knocked out,and remember nothing about it,but me they gave me 4 shots and i never batted an eye. it was as bad as labor pains. i`m not kidding,after it quit hurting,the rest wasn`t too bad,i watched my colon on tv,lol. i`m sorry. i don`t mean to be gross,i do need some answers for being constipated. he gave me a prescription laxative and told me to take it every other day. well i`m taking it everyday with 6 fiber con tablets and eating all the fiber i can i will appreciate any suggestions. thanks in advance!! nje
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Poor thing....well, the colon was so empty and I had to eat a ton of food to fill it up before it started working right again! Fiber may cramp the heck out of you, you need some, but not only, ok?

My DP had severe const. once; the dr. gave her a large bottle of a liquid that was so so gentle and got her going again...don't know what it was, but after no pills worked, he gave her this liquid...maybe pharmacist knows!

Celery will clean me out!! Honest, it is my laxative if needed. All are different, but works for me.

Try a big, big meal....put everything you always wanted there...big chicken breast, broccoli spears, 1/2 sweet potato, spinach salad, pears on top...eat it all...bet you it works!!

If not....call the dr and see if there's more that can be done...

Best to you dear....
    findmind
  3. lana33

lana33 New Member

I know how you feel. Before I was diagnosed with all this stuff,LOL, I had constipation problems. Now that I take so much medication, I can't help but stay that way.

One thing I know for sure. It doesn't matter what I take for the prob, my body gets used to it and I have to take more and more so I have to keep changing laxatives.

I last took senna a(OTC). After taking about 11 of them before having results, I had to change. Senna is more of a natural herb type med that you may alread know about. By the generic cause the Senokat is expensive.

Right now for the first time am taking Aloe Vera juice. I got mine at Walmart but it is at lots of stores. It is good cause for me when I take it, I may not go the next morning right away like most of what I have taken.

But when I do go, it is very natural. I sometimes go several days in a in a row natural way. Something I haven't experienced in years. So now I am trying to take less of it. Trying to find a way to take a few different natural lax's to see if I can switch up between about 3 so my body won't become tolerant.

Sorry I get carried away sometimes. LOL. Hope this helps.

Hugs,
    Lana
  4. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

with cranberry juice works like a charm . Try about
    a half cup aloe vera juice and some water or other
    juice to make it taste better. I buy the aloe vera at Walmart or health store . It is a natural laxative .

I have seen others say that ZMA from the shop here also works, plus it helps them get better sleep .
  5. nje

nje New Member

i`m heading out to get me some aloe vera juice and cranberry juice. that sounds like a winner. someone suggested i eat a big meal,well i did i went to a buffet, all you can eat, veggies,meat, fruit,dessert,i felt like a blowed up toad frog. i told my husband ,burp me before i blow up,lol a little humor, i need to have a sense of humor with all my ailments. thank all of you so much. this board has never let me down when i need answers and quick too.
    God Bless each of you wonderful people for caring. nje
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2006]
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The very best thing I ever found for constipation (and I had been constipated for almost a life time) is 'Natural Calm' (magnesium citrate). Its put out by 'Natural Vitality', its in a powdered form, you mix it with hot water, it fizzes, when it stops fizzing you drink it. It tastes like an Alka Seltzer, not bad at all.

I use a heaping teaspoon full, once a day, but you can use more if it does work for you in that dosage.

I started taking ZMA (Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B-6) a few years ago for sleep, and since then I go once a day 'normal', I don't need the Natural Calm unless I eat 'cheese' now :)

YOu can buy the Natural Calm at a healfood store or online, the ZMA is sold here at Pro Health, great stuff.....

Shalom, Shirl
  7. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

A friend of mine is currently having chemotherapy and it, or some of the drugs she has to take, cause constipation. Her oncologist told her to drink pear juice and eat pears. He said that they were better than prunes at moving things along. Good luck.;
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I eat oatmeal and at least one or two apples a day and lots of water. That does it for me
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It's a pricier probiotic and somewhat of an antifungal. But it's a heavyweight, and can resolve deadly GI issues like Chrohn's.

I don't even have to take it every day anymore.

Jeanne
  10. Bunky

Bunky New Member

Hi, I am sorry you are having so much trouble...usually that is not the case...I think milk of mag..a ounce.. with a glass of prune juice..4ounces.. warmed up a bit in the micro.. and drink right down..and take that when you need help..I also drink prune juice daily.. and like you said you are doing a lot of fiber..salads and fruit help.. also and movement.. take long walks and keep moving helps also...it takes a bit for your body to get used to the entire deal..and for you to..I can not emagine..as I am a nurse and I do not care for the patients much..do other things now..as the nurses aides do that for those who can not do it..it is part of you now and it is good you can take care of it...why did you have it done..may I ask?...do you also have fibro?..and all that goes with the whole deal?...
  11. spartanjt

spartanjt New Member

i've used magnesium citrate caps for a few years & those seem to work just fine.