Help I need to sleep normal again

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suzyQ44, Jan 2, 2007.

1. suzyQ44

suzyQ44 New Member

Hi, Everyone. I just found this sight tonight well this morning. It is 5:30 am and I have'nt been to sleep yet. It has been along time since I have slept all night long. I was told about 1 1/2 yr's ago I had FM and everthing in my life has changed so much it is so hard to believe. It started out as one little pain in the knee to all over my body to headaches ,chest pain , not sleeping, bloating up every time I would eat something & then wondering when somthing new would hit me if it was apart of this FM because the Dr's I have seen did'nt tell me much just staying so confused about everyting. I had one Dr tell me It would take about 2 years and I would be better I know that was not truthful I have just gotten worse. The only thing they wanted to do for me was keep me on anti depression med's they had me on almost 400mg aday I was like a zombie I stayed like that for awhile and then I thought to myself I have got to get off this stuff so I did. It has been months since I have been to a Dr. I am not on anything at this time butI have got to do something soon I am just so worn out and hurt so bad. I am glad I found this site there are no support groups here for FM and sometimes it is hard for others to understand what you are going through. I am trying to learn as much as I can about this I have tried so many natural remedies but so far nothing has helped a very HOT BATH and muscle rub and heat pad's are my comfort for now. But still not much sleep. Thank's for being here, Janet
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Hi Suzyq44--I REALLY know how you feel. Just over a month ago I came out of a severe flare so I know that the road to recovery will come to you when your sleep pattern is restored. I can tell you a few things that may have worked for me. I don't even know for sure--the flare may have just ended on it's own. However, I started to feel better when I began to sleep through the night again.
    First, eliminate caffeine, particularly late in the day. During the day, try and rest in the late afternoon without falling asleep--just a twenty minute rest on the sofa really helps. I also would occasionally drink a cup of valerian tea on my most desperate nights about 30 minutes prior to retiring. I found it was less effective if I drank it nightly. I had a horrible reaction to lexapro so I personally do not recommend Anti-depressants of any kind. Try and be persistent and calm in trying to restore your sleep pattern.
    Often, I would awaken at 3:30 a.m. and want to cry. I decided to make myself stay in bed for 30-45 minutes. After that, I would get up and either read or do a few chores until everyone got up and left by 7:30. Then I would go back to bed for an hour or so in a warm robe with a blanket and I would feel somewhat better--I would also open the drapes and let the sun pour in--crucial!! When I finally felt a tiny spurt of energy, I drove to the local park and walked for thirty minutes in the afternoon and that night I slept through the night for the first time in months!! When I awoke in the morning, I felt as happy as I felt when years ago my colicy twins slept through the night for the first time!!
    I firmly believe that we get our happiness in small doses. Sleep was crucial for my mental well being. When my sleep restored, and I was on a road to "restorative recovery" I felt a surge of energy return to me. It was then that I realized that I was not well for a very long time.

I try now to read my own symptoms and head them off at the path if I can. For example, when I awaken, if I have pain at the tops of my feet, I know to take it easy that day and not push myself (which is hard to do with three teenagers that have to be driven everywhere), stay warm, eat healthily, and get to bed as early as possible.

The most important thing to do is try to address your sleep issue. It is the absolute key to feeling better with this disease.

[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2007]
  3. yjswan

yjswan New Member

I think most of us with FMS have been where you are and it's a vicious cycle. Poor sleep = increased pain and brain fog. I still have nights when I wake up and can't get back to sleep due to the pain and stiffness. I have been diagnosed for 3 years now and have seen many doctors for a variety of problems, including sleep issues.

I would recommend you post a new thread to ask others to help you find a either a good GP or rheumy that understands FMS in your area. I don't agree antidepressants are all bad, it's just a matter of finding the one that is right for you. I am on Cymbalta and it helps brighten my mood tremendously. In addition, my rheumy put me on Lyrica which helps reduce the pain. The combination works for me in helping me to sleep better along with a C-PAP machine for sleep apnea. In addition, I do gentle stretching everyday and aquatic therapy twice a week.

It's been a long road and I still have a long way to go, but it's important for all of us to keep the faith and not give up.

In the meantime, maybe try some over the counter treatments as suggested or a relaxation exercise or go for a professional massage. Stay away from caffeine after noon.

Wishing you restorative sleep--God bless,
    Yvonne
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

My mom [71] has had FM for <10 years and has been helped tremendously by taking systemic Enzymes. These are digestive enzymes taken on an empty stomach. Dr. William Wong N.D. has done some great research on systemic enzymes:
    1) reduce inflammation
    2) dissolves scar tissue
    3) dissolves the isoprin coating on certain viruses
    4) cleans the blood
    5) dissolves fibrin blockages (blood clotting factor that can cause ischemic pain in some FM ppl)

Since you're having digestive problems anyhow, this might be a signal of what your body is really needing.

Keeping the FM at bay, has been helping my mom sleep.
  5. Welcome Janet, we all understand. What is normal anymore, I have had fibro and all its wonderful problems NOT for too many years. If its not one thing , another thing starts up. I hope you get some relief soon, I too have been having a terrible time with sleeping.
  6. suzyQ44

suzyQ44 New Member

Hi
    Thank you for the advice . It is hard trying to go on 4-6 hr's plus I am waking up during this time so I can turn over because of the pain . But around 9:eek:o at night I feel so worn out but wide awake. And here latley it is getting worse I am staying up longer. Thank you again so much, Suzyq44.
  7. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

SuzQ44, My internist gave me Ativan. Low dose to take before bed-time. It helps me greatly. I also try to go to the gym and work through the pain.
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

I wanna suggest a sleep aid supplement that I've found that works great for me.
    As with everything, this may help you alot,..it may not.
    (trial and error) but this is worth a try.
    Melatonin~
    you can get it in 1 mg or 3 mgs (I think thats it??)
    Its cheap and works really good when I take it about an hr before I want to go to sleep.
    Sold with vitamins at just about all stores.

Good luck at getting the needed rest~

I hope this helps~
    Tandy
  9. Reading this I realize how much we are so much alike with this dd. When I first was diagnosed with fibro, the arthritis foundation recommended a book which sounded horrible and I had to quit reading it. Little did I realize what a nightmare having this dd would really be. It is nice to know others face the same problems, well not nice but nice to have a place to come for friendship and comfort.