Help - I really hurt my back!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjade, Dec 27, 2009.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

We got our kids a Wii for Christmas this year. If you don't know, a Wii is a video game where the players actually act out the games, instead of just sitting on the couch hitting buttons on a controller. They already have a Playstation, X-Box and a PSP. But we thought the Wii would be a great family gift, since all of us could play (including my 4 y/o daughter). One of the games they have is the bowling game. So on Christmas night, we were playing it - I think I may have played 3 games. You stand there and actually act like you are throwing the ball, but you are only holding the contoller, not an actually bowling ball.

Well, I woke up yesterday with really bad pain in my lower back. I really didn't think much of it, since I get back pain all the time, especially when I wake up. But it just kept getting worse throughout the day. It feels almost like the sciatica I had when I was 9 mos pregnant, only it is much, much worse than that. I can barely walk!!

The pain is just shooting through my hips, and down my leg. There is no position I can get into where the pain lessens. When I try to bend a little to stretch it out, the shooting pain actually causes me to lose my breath, that is how severe this is.

The only think I can think of is that I hurt myself playing that Wii bowling game. Dh's grandmother threw her back out playing that game a couple years ago, but she is 87 yrs old!! I am only in my 30's! I realize I am really out of shape, but come on! Could playing that game have caused this? I cannot believe how much this hurts! I had to actually crawl up the steps last night, and when I tried to change my clothes, DH had to pick me up because I couldn't even stand up.

Any suggestions on what I can do to help myself? I HAVE to go to work tomorrow, and I don't know how I will do it if I can't even walk.
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Horrible pain; know it all too well. Two suggestions. Alternate ice & heat wherever you feel the pain "begins" (usually at the hip level).

If you have a health food store close, I use Hypericum 30x. You can use that taking 3 tabs orally every 15 minutes until it subsides.

I know of a great chinese herb, but it may be harder to find/usually thru an acupuncturist (which could help as well). It's by Plum Flower called "Solitary Hermit".

Hope you find something that helps.

3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

It sounds like a disc. I've had alternating disc problems and hip problems all year and it does go down your legs and seriously makes it impossible to do much. The doc gave me Flexeril for it, which sort of helps, but doesn't fix it. Some stretching helps alittle. But if you really threw it out bad, you might have to get it looked at.
  4. DazedAndSpacey

DazedAndSpacey New Member

kjade, I know exactly the type of pain your describing. I also know the frustration with not getting comfortable. I have bulging and degenerating disks, plus a pinched nerve. So even giving the dog a bath can pull my back out. When it's that bad for me the only thing that makes me feel better is the chiropractor and bed rest. Massage therapy helps as well.

I know some people are fearful of chiropractors. But I will tell you I've had back issues most of my life. Nothing worked until I went to a chiropractor. He really has done wonders. You have to find a good one, though. I've had my share of bad ones and it didn't do a thing for me. (I wouldn't go all the time like they'd recommend. I did and now I wish I wasn't so dependent. Just go when your back flares up and a couple of follow up visits.)

One final piece of advice....stretching helps a lot. There's one exercise/stretch that does wonders for me. I'll try to describe it: lay on your back with your knees bent and your arms bent at a 90 degree angle next to your head. Rotate your knees to the left and turn your head to the right. Slowly and to your comfort level. DO NOT push yourself. Repeat to the opposite direction. Do this about 10 times, rest and do another 10.

I hope this helps.
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Yep, sounds like you pulled/strained your sciatic nerve in your back.

Like already said, alternate ice and heat, 30 min on each, and keep moving to work it out.

I have a pinched sciatic nerve and I know that it's a killer in the pain department!

BTW, my daughter hurt her hip playing some type of Wii game, too, this Christmas.
  6. kjade

kjade New Member

Thank you all for your replies and advice/suggestions. I have been stretching quite a bit, which is helping. I am doing a LITTLE better, but my back is still killing me. I cannot bend backwards at all - it is just locked up. I hate this. Thankfully, the sciatica pain is gone. I went to the chiropractor, and he tried to help. He also gave me a back stretcher device (I already have one for my neck, and it always does wonders for my neck). The back device really makes my back hurt.

Dazed& Spacey: that exercise really does help. Thank you. The key is always "gentle" stretching. I find if I try to stretch too much, I hurt myself more.

From what I am hearing, the Wii can really mess you up. Even DH who is in PERFECT shape (he is a weightlifter and takes really good care of himself) hurt his shoulder - he thinks playing the tennis game or bowling, or boxing. I guess it forces you to use muscles you haven't used in a long time!! Just be careful if you decide to play. It's fun, but geeez. It bums me out, because I used to be such an athlete in my younger days.....*sigh* Now I can't even play a bowling game on the Wii without harming myself!!!! Oh well......
  7. DazedAndSpacey

DazedAndSpacey New Member

I think the key is to stretch before you play Wii. ;-) LOL

Glad my stretch helped! My PT wants me to do it daily. And she's the 2nd one who's recommended it!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2010]