Help I think I am losing my mind

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crdmkr2004, May 2, 2006.

1. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

I sure hope someone can shed some light here or offer a suggestion I think I am losing my mind, I am only 44.

I was only formerly diagnosed January 31 this year but have had this illness for at least 14 years. Anyways, I had an emotionally break down last fall after my father passed away and my fibro seems to have evolved into this crippling an mind distorting monster. Besides the pain and crippling part, I seem to have lost my mind. Everyday seems worse.

When I have a good day I will try to do a couple of loads of laundry, well the last 2 days I put the laundry in and either forgot all about it or put it in the drier and didn't turn the drier on. Today I hooked up the portable dishwasher and turned it on and noticed it wasn't sounding right. I thought it was broken at first, but finally realized that I had forgotten to turn the water on.

I forget to shut off the burner on the stove and turn the oven off- I am getting very afraid- Why am I losing my mind over things that should be so automatic. I even forgot which keys go in my house door and how to flush the toilet once. Could it be my medications or is it just this DD??

Sorry it's so long but could someone please help me. Thank you all in advance for anything you may be able to say.
  2. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have had many days like this lately. Yesterday, we were getting ready to go to the grocery store, and I walked in the kitchen and saw my daughter's oatmeal just sitting there on the table. I had fixed it, and forgotten to feed her (she is 2). She had been watching cartoons and never said she was hungry or anything. I felt like the world's worst mother ever. I have done many other goofy things lately, but can't bring them to mind right now because my memory is so poor.

I chalk it up to the poor sleep, extreme pain, stress and meds I must take. I am trying to learn to be gentle on myself considering all I am going through. I find making lists about EVERYTHING helps somewhat. I have to make a checklist of every little thing I need to do every day from phone calls to errands to housework. Even things I need to mention to my husband when he gets home from work. Or I don't remember. You may try that.

I will pray for you. I know exactly how you feel. It's not easy. Try not to beat yourself up when you make a mistake, as it is perfectly understandable, and it will only make you feel worse if you berate yourself.

God bless,
    Julie
  3. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

Thank you wakemeup and JewelIRA, it makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one with terrible short term memory loss.
    Take care
    Thanks again
  4. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

u dont say what youve been dx with but it sounds like fms because the memory loss stems from fms.
    We call it fibrofog & if youre depressed it will make it 10 times worse.
    I have ME,CFS,FMS,SEVERE DEPRESION & at least 40 ilnesses altogether!
    I was dx 10 years ago & since then ive been dx with a lot more illnesses to add to my ever growing list.
    With fms there is a lack of neurotonin & because of that messages dont get to the brain.
    There is a chance that it may be your meds but its more likely to be the fms.
    Hope this helps.
    fibrolady37.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It's an epidemic. At least w/ us. I went away and left the fire on w/ the cast iron skillet on the burner.

Four hours later came back to find no damage but a strange aroma to the house. My partner laughed and said the skillet had never been so clean.

The other day I tried to leave a message on an answering machine and couldn't remember my phone number before the machine clicked off.

If one weren't depressed already...

6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Like the other day...I turned on a burner on the stove (I still don't know why, I was using a crockpot!) and put the plastic cutting board right on top of it. Phew! That really stank up the whole house! At least I caught it before the smoke alarm went off. It's connected to our alarm system and the fire department might have shown up. Would that be embarrassing!

One of my pastors (he doesn't have these DDs, but he still has brainfog) had a plumbing problem. He accidentally called the IRS. LOL

So it's not just us, either!

God Bless.
  7. SandraJean

SandraJean New Member

Hi,

I've done the same things. I have to write everything down too and carry the list with me. I have a little notebook that I keep in my pocketbook with me all the times. It has information that I put in it for meds I've on, Doctors names and phone numbers, emergency numbers and lists, lisys and more lists. I always say if I lose that little notebook, I lose my brains.!

Often times, I will go from one room to the next and forget
    what it is that I was suppose to do. The thing that really bothers me is when I'm already to go to write something in my notebook and I forget on the way to my notebook.

Take care, you are not alone.

Sandy
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

THAT'S a good one. (Hope I can remember it.)
  9. cathugs

cathugs New Member

It's this #%^&***^% BRAIN FOG***

Most of the time I don't know if I'm coming or going.

I am bad to forget to add my laundry to the machine

and send the washer on a "dry run" Boy, that makes

me mad because I have a hard time trying to keep

my laundry caught up any way.

As I have posted before, I run a tee shirt shop

and do the printing as the customer waits.

They will tell me the size, color and # of the

transfer they have chosen.

Almost every time I forget what they have asked for

before I get to the transfer machine, and have

to ask them again.

Most of my regular customers are very understanding

and even help me sometimes, but I get verrrry

strange looks from first time customers.

This is very embarrassing.

Ruth
  10. angelkisses6

angelkisses6 New Member

Ihave forgoten how to spell my youngest name 3 times now coulent remember my dogs name (and we've had her for over 6 years)its a sad day when your dog looks at you funny,lol. I cant remember what i was going to add here,lol.Anyway i guess we all have our bad days,we should make a card for membership to the fog club,lol take care all,angelkisses
  11. crdmkr2004

crdmkr2004 New Member

It is Fibromyalgia along with other diseases I have and I am extremely greatful to all of you for your responses. It makes me feel much better, still frustrated, but I have a better understanding.
    Thanks again!!
    Sandy
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

put my name in and read my other post.I did have a mental breakdown about the same time I started into medapause and was Dx with CFS/FM.Talk to your doc and if you are not already you may need anti depression meds.Try to find humor in the things like you talked about nothing is worth getting yourself so out of wack.Learn to meditate and stop and smell the roses thats more important now.You wouldnt beleave some of the things I did when I had my breakdown.Thank goodness it was funny stuff like putting potatoe tots in a birdbath lol really.But there was really scary stuff to the first time, I was lost for 6 hours and didnt know who I was.The birdbath story was because my meds were not strong enough.Anyhow I try to laugh at things now so I dont get so upset and end up in a headspin.I know when the anxiety starts to get bad I could loose it again so trying to keep myself calm is a must.Keep a journal your laugh at things later and it can calm you down enought that the Anxiety doesnt get out of control.I take zoloft and it helps alot.Good luck