HELP I 've fallen and I can't get up

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by springlakeorphan, Jan 16, 2007.

1. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

In the last week, I have fallen 4 times. My legs at best are like jello. Most of the time it's like trying to hold up a bowling ball with a rubber band! My body seems to be falling apart so quickly that it is very depressing. When my legs feel strong, my head is dizzy. I take physical therapy 3 times a week. Mostly core training. I have been fighting this DD with everything I have, yet I seem to be fading faster and faster. Anyone else have weak legs AND a solution?? Thanks much!! Mary
    [This Message was Edited on 01/16/2007]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Jolie (jolielulu) reports this same problem. Try writing her directly. I don't think she's come up with an answer yet, but perhaps you can compare notes and search together.
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I'm in the same boat, except that I don't fall. And it's funny you used the anology of a rubber band holding up a bowling ball. I often describe the weakness as feeling like "fagged out" elastic. Is that a word, "fagged"? To me it means overstretched and no longer hugging. Anyway, if you do write to julielulu I may jump on your wagon cause leg weakness ruins (and rules) my life.

I found that compounded Cortisol helps some, both with endurance and strength. Not a lot, but some.

Also, the amino acid DL-Phenylalanine helps with endurance, some.

And,. NADH, 20 mg. helps with strength and endurance, again not a lot, but some.
  4. Libora1050

Libora1050 New Member

Mary, my heart is breaking for you. I had the same thing going on until I started taking OPC's. I can help you get this product - it is saving my life. Anna
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

springlakeorphan:

I am so sorry this is happening to you. Like many I have trouble with my legs.

I would bring this problems to an MD. If the PT is not helping maybe he can give you some advice.

Feel better soon!

nyrofan
  6. springlakeorphan

Thank you all so much for the info!! I am relieved to know there is something to try. I was beginning to think that this is the way life is going to be for me.God bless you all!!! Mary
  7. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi, Mary,
    I so feel for you! I have very weak legs, too. There are tiimes I can't go from my bedroom to the bathroom (about 15 feet) without using a walker and sitting on the way. Sometime I need my assisitance dog to help me get up from a chair. If it weren't for the scooters at the grocery store, I would have to hire someone to shop for me.

What has helped me is my Chinese Medicine Doctor. I started with Acupuncture, and then my insurance company stopped paying, so now I only take the herbs he mixed for me. I'm now so strong that I can actually go to and from the mailbox (about 120 feet) with no tiredness or pain or gasping for air.I can even shop in a store like Office Depot, for a short time, and still make it back to the car.

Unfortunately, PT didn't work for me. I also have CFIDS, and I have found that I only get sicker, have more pain, and get weaker, when I expend the energy to bathe, get dressed, go to PT, do the exercises, and come home again. I've had to limit my exercise to some light weight lifting and some gentle leg lifts. If I don't I'm sooon down, with pain, weaknes, and an upper respiratorey infection. I've tried over and over again, because I love working the machines, but I finally had to asknowledge my limitation.

I hope what I've written helps, some. Please don't get discouraged. I know you will find a way to get stronger, just keep on lookiing.

Big hugs,
    Terry

[This Message was Edited on 01/17/2007]
  8. springlakeorphan

We seem to be in the same boat! I totally understand what you mean about the physical exertion it takes to get ready to go, then drive, (getting in and out of the car is hard),
    doing the exercises, etc!!Phew!!
    I have tried accupuncture. It really did not help. ): He did give me an herbal supplement to help with the pain. So far no results.
    The scarey thing is my legs "not being there" for me. I will try some of the above suggestions and continue prayer. I belive in that more than anything else. Thank you for your response!! God bless us all!! Mary
  9. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I have to have someone help me get up now.Out of chairs, off the bed, Its boggling to figure out what will help!!
    I havent figured it out myself!! I was going to PT to help with this problem. I was exhausted but I am still trying to make my legs stronger. I have to go back to bed after PT . But still hoping once my legs are stronger I can do more.
    Praying for you!!
    CindyVR
  10. springlakeorphan

I suppose if you think about it, our legs didn't get weak overnight. So it only makes sence that it will take time to get the strength back. Thanks for the tip. Not much of a swimmer but it is certainly worth a try! Good luck and thanks again!! Mary
  11. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

There are some days I don't think my legs can hold me up and then it is gone and then back again.
    I have fallen myself...it seemed like my legs just let go.
    I have had therpy and it helped for awhile. Right now my legs are good and I do excercise to help strenghten them and I am loosing weight.
    It is so hard to live like this but what are we to do. We just keep fighting and living to the best of our ability.
    Good luck Mary and be safe and go slow. Sorry I don't have any solution...wish I did.

lillyrose
  12. springlakeorphan

I wish you had all the answers!! Actually I wish anyone had the answer. This is pretty much the pits isn't it?
    But we have got to keep fighting. Right? I look around and see people in much worse shape than I am in. If they can keep going, then so can I. God speed sweetie!!!
  13. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Mary,
    What really helps me , when I'm really weak, is my assistance dog. She is big enough for me to hold on to, and to help me if I fall. When I'm weak, I hold on to her collar and she keeps me steady.

She has a German collar, that is a Shitzhund training collar. It is very wide(3") and lined with fleece. It has a soft handle on it, that rises to about 3" from her neck. It is just enough for me to hold onto. I got it from the Internet.

This is just an idea. I see that you live in Wisconsin. The only place I found that is funded enough so that it doesn't cost you thousands of dollars for this type of dog,(These are dogs trained like the ones that help Parkinson's patients) is in Pennsylvania. I got a dog from the Golden Retriever Rescue (I'm not too tall) and I am trainng her myself, which is prefectly legal in California.

If you are interested, you might find out what your state's laws are regarding service or assistance dogs, and then get one.

Good luck in solving our problem.
    Hugs,
    Terry
  14. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

There is a post above about B-12 Patches! Read it and it may help you.
    Hugs Shirley
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2007]
  15. springlakeorphan

Dear Terry and Shirley,
    Thank you both for the heads up! I would be lost without you. My doctors are not nearly as informed or as easliy accessable! Hugs to all! Sincerely, Mary
  16. sues1

sues1 New Member

If you have a Y or such near you..that would be the place to go. Ours has a heated pool just for this purpose. (They also have a large regular pool for others).

You do not have to know how to swim. The floor raises and lowers. That is for people with walkers or such to be able to get in. They do not use their walkers in the pool though.
    Then they lower to shoulder level of the shortest person or whatever someone might request.

There is a leader that guides everyone through the excercises. In the water it is easier and more forgiving on the body. You do not have to do all or should not at first. Built up to it.

Our is called Aquatic Arthritis classes (or something like that). But anyone can go. Mostly women in the classes. Most are older ladies and do not look so great in their bathing suits, I can say that for that is me!

But that would not be you. I saw your picture and you are a knock out. You two make a darling couple.

I take a hot shower afterwards, starting in my bathing suit and rinse it out after my soap runs down over it. So it keeps it fresh. They have a extractor to use that takes the excess water out of our suits. Put in a plastic bag and take home and hang it up.

I have one of those pull bags, looks like a backpack, with many compartments. It is cute and only $20 dollars or so at Staples. I can stick it in my locker also.

Check and see if you have anything like this around your area. Blessings and good luck..........Susan
  17. springlakeorphan

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I will have to update the photo. That was taken in September. I have gained 40 pounds since then. Lack of exercise and these darned meds. If I find a heated pool, I would deffinatly do this. The cold really hurts. Why do I live in Wisconsin??!!!?? My strength is becoming less and less daily. I walk alot (new puppy).She has made a huge difference in my life. It's so difficult to accept the limitations this DD has put on me. But thanks to people like you, I know I will not stop fighting! Thank you again and have a wonderful day!!! )))hugs(((( Mary
  18. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

I too have problems with muscle weakness. but this is not due to muscle loss, because it can disapear all of a sudden and i can walk normal and lift normal.
    what have you been diagnosed with and what meds are you taking?
    sometimes, i think , that actually certain meds can make you worse.
    sometimes it is autoimmune reactions and certain supplements can make it worse, sometimes it could be the liver (had hep. once, i could not lift a bucket)
    listen to your body and observe when is it worse?

what kind of weakness is it? do you also feel your arms or just the legs, or specific muscles?

not all weakness is the same.....

take care karina