HELP! I Was Diagnosed With OA Today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lgp, Feb 12, 2009.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

After many days and bad night\ of progressive hand pain, I finally went to see the orthopedist this morning. After a consultation and x-rays, he diagnosed OA in my hands and particularly, the thumb joint and it's in both hands. Interestingly, I am left-handed, but it is much worse in my right hand. He gave me cortisone shots to the joint in the office, and he was optimistic that the pain will subside but did tell me that I would have to come back for further evaluation should the severe pain persist--to possibly discuss a surgical proceedure (would be last ditch on my part).

Anyway, I have been doing some reading this afternoon, and my friend called, so I got lots of different ideas on Glucosimine/Chondroitin. Does anyone have success with this product? Any other recommendations? Dietary? Please, any ideas that have worked for you or a friend or a loved one would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the OA pain is making my fibro pain look like small potatoes. I can't believe this.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2009]
  2. daylight

daylight New Member

You may wish to re post this on the arthritis forum here.

"BTW, the OA pain is making my fibro pain look like small potatoes. I can't believe this."

**** some people may disagree with you on this *****

But OA is very painful I have it also in my spine and RA in all my other joints.
    Hope your feeling better soon.
  3. kblackie55

kblackie55 New Member

i got diagnosed with oa in every joint in my body, i told the doctor how could that be when i worked out most of my life and then i found out it's hereditary. i just take 800 milligrams of ibuprofun and i take hydrochodine for my fm anyway. if you find something else that helps let me know.

4. Bxteacher

Bxteacher Member

I have RA, FM & OA as well as Chronic Leukemia. Have tried a lot of the heavy duty meds. My rheumy really believes in Water Therapy if you can find the right place. My placed closed......... Now new facility so I will begin Water PT again. I have a sinus/throat infection so had toputit off, but hope to go next week. It feels sooooo GOOD when you are in the 90 degree water. Joints move w/o pain . I also use FLECTOR Patches for pain. Ask your Dr. about those as well. Now I take Cymbalta/Klonopin/Celebrex( as needeed) & stretch with a stretch band every day.

Good luck.....Bxteacher
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Believe it or not, have found Glucosimine/Chondroitin to be very helpful for my Mom's dog (who is now with us). I wouldn't know how well it helps OA, but it sure helps her with joint pain, stiffness, mobility etc.
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I ran out yesterday and bought the glucosimine/chondroitin in the liquid form--started it yesterday.

I guess the cortisone shots were successful since I feel like a new person today. I just can't believe it. The osteo did say that it could have been an isolated incident--I sure hope so. As much as I hate to "cave" to something as invasive as a cortisone shot, I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to.

Thanks for your suggestion--Laura
  7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

You are right to be leery about too much cortisone. As I shun all forms of prescription medication for the most part, I was pretty desperate to submit to those painful shots. I was in some much pain though; I felt trapped. I really have my fingers crossed (not too tightly though!) that I will not have to do that again. The pain was indescribable, and I have a really high threshold for pain --I gave birth to big twins, and a 10 lb baby with no drugs, no epidueral, nothing, so I can take pain. This hand pain was like nothing I had ever experienced before--I could not think of a single other thing--I could not get past it.

The glucosimine/chondrotin (sp?) that I purchased yesterday contains MSM. I will take it for awhile, it can't hurt and I will assess it. That's allwe can do as we strive tomake ourselves feel better, right?

[This Message was Edited on 02/13/2009]