HELP!!! I'M AT WORK W/ SO VERY MAJOR FATIGUE!!!!!! PLZ RESPOND!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pamela, Oct 31, 2002.

1. pamela

pamela New Member

I can't believe how BAD I feel today!! I guess it was the FLOUR TORTILLA I ate yesterday. (BREAKFAST TACOS) Since I came down w/ this FM (DD) and Myofascial Synd. my diet is such a culprit of fatigue and headaches and chronic body pain. I wish someone could explain to me why all of a sudden the food I use to eat now makes me so fatigued. Like potatoes, and flour tortillas really put me in the bed. The fatigue is so herendous. The pain is just as bad!!!! If I eat protein and corn tortillas, peanut butter, some veggies (no sugar) and the spelt bread i'm okay. Protein...meaning chicken, tuna and lean grd. meat. Does anybody know anything to pull a person out of the fatigue after they induldge in something that makes them so fatigued? Please Help!!!! I have 0 energy. Thanks so much!!! Pamela

P.S. I can't take most meds due to the lactose and/or dextrose, sucrose type sugars in them... This is a temporary thing as I should not have eaten the flour tortilla.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2002]
  2. pamela

pamela New Member

I can't believe how BAD I feel today!! I guess it was the FLOUR TORTILLA I ate yesterday. (BREAKFAST TACOS) Since I came down w/ this FM (DD) and Myofascial Synd. my diet is such a culprit of fatigue and headaches and chronic body pain. I wish someone could explain to me why all of a sudden the food I use to eat now makes me so fatigued. Like potatoes, and flour tortillas really put me in the bed. The fatigue is so herendous. The pain is just as bad!!!! If I eat protein and corn tortillas, peanut butter, some veggies (no sugar) and the spelt bread i'm okay. Protein...meaning chicken, tuna and lean grd. meat. Does anybody know anything to pull a person out of the fatigue after they induldge in something that makes them so fatigued? Please Help!!!! I have 0 energy. Thanks so much!!! Pamela

P.S. I can't take most meds due to the lactose and/or dextrose, sucrose type sugars in them... This is a temporary thing as I should not have eaten the flour tortilla.
  3. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I don't know what to suggest to you at this point; you just may have to ride this one out and just chalk it up to a lessen learned. People with chronic conditions do well to change their eating habits. Just looking at the foods you listed, I would suggest you start by cutting out ALL refined flours, such as what is found in a flour tortilla, as well as all corn, potato, and peanut products. These are KNOWN allergens, and often we suffer with hidden allergies. Sugars are inflammatory foods and potatoes, not to mention corn, are like pure white sugar!

There has been much written on the need for a whole-foods based diet, and one that was mentioned in an article in the libary here, is somewhat of an anti-inflammatory diet. Its not the ONLY diet, but its a good start til you find someting else that works better.

Here it is:

There has been little information available from the scientific community on nutrition and diet for fibros.

Research has not yet proven that any specific foods affect FM, positively or negatively. But we do know that eating a good balanced diet helps everyone’s body function at its best.

Good nutrition can help in your health and healing. Eating healthful foods including those low in fat and high in immunity boosting antioxidants and phytochemicals work together to help maximize energy and alertness and minimize constant fatigue and lethargy.

Many people have overcome their FM symptoms by changing their lifestyle and diet.

Mary Moeller now enjoys a state of remission from her FM symptoms by making a few changes in her lifestyle. To reach this ideal she advocates eliminating 4 foods completely from your diet (Mary Moeller’s Fibromyalgia Cookbook.)

1. Chocolate

2. Carbonated beverages

3. Coffee

4. Alcohol

Along with changes in nutrition she encourages stretching, exercising and drinking 8+ glasses of water a day.

Also, in Mary Moeller and Joe Elrod’s book, The Fibromyalgia Nutrition Guide, they advocate a more complete list in order to overcome fatigue and feel your best. The 12 items to avoid are:

1. High fat dairy foods

2. White sugar and white flour

3. Fried foods

4. Preservatives, junk food, and salt

5. Red meat (especially salt cured bacon, smoked, or nitrate cured

6. Coffee and caffeniated teas

7. Colas, soda pop, and carbonated beverages

8. Liquid with your meals

9. Alcoholic beverages

10. All forms of tobacco

11. Prolonged periods of direct sun rays

12. Nutrasweet and saccharine

I also have enjoyed the results of better health after quitting carbonated beverages and coffee. Before, I would have my diet coke and coffee in order to get me out of bed in the morning. As a result I was very hyper and then about 2 hours later or so I would crash and be very tired and fatigued. So I would pump more caffeine and diet coke down to get me moving again. As a result I would spike, crash, spike, crash. My energy level was on a continual roller coaster ride of highs and lows. Since quitting I have been enjoying a nice steady stream of constant energy all day long.

When I first heard of eliminating sodas I was mortified. I thought I was doing extremely well to only allow myself 1-2 cokes a day, and to give them up, why I thought, “never”! But slowly I finally weaned myself off, and boy am I glad I did.

Some unsubstantiated studies claim that carbonated beverages leak phosphorus from your bones, and the aspartame (Nutrasweet) in sodas cause memory loss. Also the sugar in carbonated beverages, according to self-proclaimed authorities, may contribute to yeast problems.

Caffeine is a diuretic, which means you need to drink additional water to replace the lost water. Scientists at Washington State University found that caffeine makes people lose calcium in their urine faster than they usually do. Caffeine can also put added stress on the adrenal glands and the liver. Since most FM sufferers may have adrenal malfunction due to chronic stress and inadequate nutrition it is probably wise to avoid the caffeine and carbonated drinks.

I know that at times I eat more food or sugar as a way of dealing with stress or handling challenging problems that arise. When I do this it puts added stress on my adrenal glands. Adrenalin released from the adrenal gland penalizes the body and can cause acute symptoms. By burning too much sugar your body may deplete its vitamins and minerals especially the B vitamins. Adrenalin has even been known to be responsible for some panic attacks.

If you subject your body to highly refined, over-processed foods, sugar, caffeine, pork, junk food, highly processed starches, additives and preservatives, and highly acid foods, it is possible that your body will suffer because of an already compromised immune system that may be found in many FM sufferers.

Most processed foods are often adulterated by heating, and are full of additives, preservatives, colorings, salt and sugar. By the way, most drinks purchased at a store have been processed including soda, bottled juices, coffee, alcohol and others. Since many fibros are sensitive to food, drugs, chemicals and pollutants in the environment anyway it is important we do not subject our bodies to more than what’s necessary.

Many fibros are chocoholics. Chocolate is high in fat and caffeine. According to Mark Pellegrino in his book, Fibro Survivor, reducing fatty intake could increase energy. Therefore a low fat diet is recommended. This means chocolate should not be ingested or should be eaten in moderation. Also fried foods and salt have been found to aggravate pain or swelling in some fibros.

Certain foods have been found to cause fatigue.

Doctors concluded in Annals of Rheumatic Disease that in certain individuals some foods aggravate arthritis. Often, foods that are acidic are the culprit. Therefore an arthritic diet is one that remains alkaline. Some fibros find that highly acidic foods such as citric, foods in the nightshade family like tomato, potato, eggplant, and peppers, red meat, cow milk products, brown and white wheat flour products, sugar containing foods, coffee, chocolate all seem to trigger more muscle pain.

Different foods affect each individual fibro differently. For instance some fibros have severe food allergies for dairy, wheat, corn, nightshade family plants, etc. whereas others do not. You can discover your own food sensitivity by eliminating foods that trigger pain. Keeping a food diary can help. In your diary write down everything that goes into your mouth and at the same time track your FM pain. By comparing the two you may discover that certain foods may trigger allergies or pain. It has been found that food allergies may undermine your nutrient uptake.

In a 1992 study as reported in the book, What your doctor may not tell you about Fibromyalgia, by Paul St. Amand M.D. and Claudia Marek, it states that:

60% of fibro patients of normal weight crave carbohydrates, and

75% of obese fibros crave carbohydrates

Some fibros have a low carbohydrate intolerance or reactive hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) that occurs after eating carbohydrates. This can cause problems metabolizing carbohydrates, inability to lose weight, fatigue, carbohydrate craving and worsening symptoms. Carbohydrates stimulate insulin production. Excess insulin can cause an increased uptake of sugar into muscle and liver, which can be stored as fatty acids in fat cells, and prevent carbs from being used.

There are nutritional strategies to help fibros.

Dr. Mark Pellegrino says that because of the biochemical changes in fibros it makes good medical sense to try a low carb, high protein diet. Protein diets can decrease cravings, increase energy, lose weight and help with hypoglycemia. Pellegrino suggests watching carb’s like bread, potatoes and refined sugars. There are many fad protein diets like Sugar busters, Zone, Adkins and other low carb diets. However, Pellegrino says that some fibros do not tolerate a protein diet as well as others, so experiment and find what dietary plan works for you.

Dr. August believes that a 30/30/40 ratio of carbohydrate, fat and protein enables fibros to reach their optimum weight with maximum health. Hypoglycemia and low carb intolerance can be controlled by diet. Dr. August advocates the Zone diet (Sears and Lawren 1995). However, there is strong evidence that the Zone diet “works” mainly because of the reduction in total caloric intake with little or nothing to do with the release of insulin. The reader is referred to some excellent websites that present pro and con arguments over the Zone and other low carb/high protein/high fat diets:

watchingweight.com/lowcarb.htm
    cyberiron.com/nutrition/notzone.html
    getzoned.com.au/In_the_Media_text_only.htm
    nutrition.ucdavis.edu/perspectives/SeptOct99.htm

Your cells must receive nourishment and eliminate wastes. When you start to eat healthful foods you may find that you crave sugar, fat, starch and processed foods. This is a normal occurrence due to a physiological change in your body’s chemistry. During these times try not to indulge. These cravings will become fewer and further between as time goes on. Of course, people who do not suffer from FM also have the same cravings; therefore, we are not unique.

People with FM need to take extra care to eat well.

Try to incorporate raw foods into your diet. I try to eat a piece of raw fruit or vegetable for breakfast and a raw vegetable or salad for lunch. Raw foods contain enzymes that can assist in the digestion of foods. Raw foods are full of antioxidants and phytochemicals that help boost the immune system. If have a juicer, fresh carrot juice is a wonderful addition to incorporate into your lifestyle. Many people have claimed to heal cancer along with an array of diseases by eating raw foods and drinking carrot juice. Of course, most of these claims are testimonials with little scientific research to back the use of raw foods to prevent chronic disease.

Along with vegetables, and fruits, omega 3 fish oil contains anti-inflammatory properties. Eating well does not mean you have to starve yourself or totally eliminate all the foods you love. Rather make small gradual changes and focus on the foods you enjoy.

Eating well may help reduce the fatigue and maximize energy. Incorporate variety, balance and moderation.

Improve your health by reevaluating your overall eating habits and try to make your diet more nutritious.

Your body has been wonderfully and marvelously designed. Allow it to run as efficient as possible.

Look for healthy recipes in the Fibro kitchen that use the principles of good eating discussed in this article. The bonus (as testified to by my husband) is that you will be considered a “gourmet cook” as your health improves.

4. pamela

pamela New Member

Your posting really helped alot!!! I printed it off my computer and I will definitely adhere to it. I'm such a dork, just thought I would try one little flour tortilla and see what happens. Well I guess I got my answer!! LOL!! Thanks again...Pamela (Desperatly fatigued and worthless) Oh well at least I'm at work!!!
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Good information from Annette, thanks, I'm saving this one also! I'm just beginning to think diet issues (white flour, hidden sugars) are a major contributor to my feeling so bad. I'm just learning about all this, too, & starting to connect the dots....when I feel more fatigue from eating a no-no food, I guzzle water like there's no tomorrow, & it seems to eventually help.

Good luck (to all of us!)
    Pam
  6. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

When you are up to it, please read the long post I have on "how to find a good cfs/fm dr." I think you will be surprised at all the information it includes. (Actually its easier on the eyes if you read it directly from its source, which is "beatcfsandfms"..plus the dot org at the end....the rules prevent me from putting the website.)

As most of the seasoned members of this site know(I didn't dare use the world OLD lol) there are several things that the average dr. doesn't bother to address, and those things are MANDATORY if you wish to progress. A couple of those areas are yeast overgrowth, viruses, bacteria overgrowth, and mycoplasma infections. And, its often no surprise that a lot of patients feel better on an anti-candida diet.

There is so much to learn about treating this disease, that I wouldn't trust just any dr., even if he claims to specialize in FM/CFS. The long post helps you weed out those who "THINK" they know how to help you, and helps you find someone who actually CAN help you.

While I didn't use that information in finding my dr., it pretty much describes the process that I used. I called a lab (that I had read much about) and got referrals...and from there I made some more phone calls. I think my dr. is one of the best around, but there are many more like her; you just have to know where to find them.

Good luck,
    Annette
  7. pamela

pamela New Member

I JUST LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU GUYS. THANKS A BUNCH FOR ALL OF YOUR RESPONSES!!!! HAVE A HAPPY DAY TO EVERYONE!!! PAMELA
  8. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

THANK YOU so much for the information about diet!!!! Everything you wrote is true, and I am going to print it out so I can keep it and refer to it. Right now my hormones are a mess, and I am eating too much sugar-products (candy). After today (Halloween) I will stop! Your guide is exactly what I need. I, too, have Reactive Hypoglycemia and have to be careful about what I eat. THANK YOU!!!!!

Annette2
  9. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

Thanks for the positive feedback. Its so nice to know I can contribute something that will help somebody. I feel its the least I can do to repay all the help I got from the many people (on the internet) who provided information that helped me when I was at my worst, and the most important of all that information was DIET.

But, I need to clarify something: only the first part of the message was from me; everything after the ":" was from the site "fibrofog" (dot com). I just used google and typed in "fm diet," then copied and pasted it here. I had first learned of that site from an article in the library, here. Be sure to check it out fully, as there is more there than just the information I posted.

Annette
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think you just answered your own question, at least as it regards diet. Potatoes and flour tortillas cause our bodies to release massive amounts of insulin. First, our blood sugar rises and then, it falls off drastically, leaving us very fatigued.

You are right; everything has changed. What you used to eat will no longer be tolerated by your body. Please look at all the recent posts on diet using the search feature. You have already discovered that protein makes you feel better. Most of us do better on a high-protein diet.

Stop eating things made with white flour, white rice, white potatoes, and sugar in all its forms. Stick with unprocessed foods and stay away from alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and artificial sweetners. Do not eat anything made with MSG.

Our diets can kill us or we can use diet as part of our healing. It's up to us.

Love, Mikie
  11. pamela

pamela New Member

Like I said before I truly LOVE EACH and EVERY ONE of you guys!!! It's just great to know your there for support and answers; and the answers are soooooo very helpful. Have a great weekend!!!! Pamela
  12. TeddiAnn

TeddiAnn New Member

Dear Pamela, White flour is highly processed and bleached to make it white. You may have developed an allergy to it.
    I beleive that fatigue is a symptom. Potatoes are heavy starch vegstables. Do you have irritable bowel? I do and a diet too rich in starches makes me tired. My body has a hard time breaking down the sugar in the starches. Beans, oions, etc give me gas because they aren't digested properly by my bowel. Beano helps. Corn tortillas aren't processed as much and any added protein turns the meals into a complex carbohydrate meal. Good Luck!