Help, I'm overwhelmed! pls respnd I nd U!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Everything about this DD is overwhelming me right now. I feel a little like I did when I brought my first baby home from the hosp. How do I do this?! I don't know what I'm doing! I want to feel better but there is so much info and I can't sort through it. What should I be eating? how do I work exercise in? How do I care for my young family at the same time. It's tempting just to give up and be sick. I did it for 15 years. I need to hear this gets easier. I wish I wasn't doing this alone.

Sofi
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2006]
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I just wish someone could live with me for a while to coach me. I guess I'm having a hard time adjusting to this. All these years I've been looking for a cure to what ails me but now I know there is no cure - just treatment.

Thank you for you kind words. I know I need to relax and take this a step at a time but it's kinda tough - anxiety is part of the diagnosis!

Sofia
  3. sarahann61

sarahann61 New Member

The beginning of the dx. was the roughest, and since I have been on meds, it has never been that bad again... It does get easier, but it might take some time

That is what I needed to hear too ,when I was first dx. with RA, I just saw me as wasting away, with no hope for a future... I know, I had the FMS before then.....

I have had a lot of good days since then, had my ups and downs....I was able to work for about 8 of those years, but I am 62, and feel older than that..... I had 5 children, and had a fear of not being able to raise my children.. I prayed a lot, and believe that God has been there with me, all of the way....
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

it's a hard life, there's no getting away from that fact but you have to give yourself sometime to work through the things that can help you like whats already been suggested, diet, supplements.

Learn to pace yourself, that is very important. Rest whenever you can, I know it's not easy with a young family and I hope your husband is supportive.

Go easy on yourself. Use the 'search' here and you will find lots of info.

love
    Rosie
  6. gkrrt

gkrrt New Member

When you said you are not looking for a cure but know now that you are looking for treatments to help you live with this DD that was a great acommplishment.......

That is when you will start improving...

IT took me six months to get to that point, not to say I dont have bad days or get depressed because I do but you have to help yourself.

As far as exercise goes I have to do it early in the morning or I will not be able to do it in the afternoon. I work fulltime.

So you have started you may not ever be cured but you can live and cope with this.....

7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

by joining in on this board. There is soooo much helpful info here (and helpful people) that you won't feel alone. I would add to watch out for processed foods...no MSG, nutrasweet, and we've cut out Splenda (because it's made from chlorine!). The more natural your foods are, the better. Write back whenever you need support...Terri
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

When I first received my diagnosis of FMS and later CFIDS I was excited that there was actually a name to go with my terrible symptoms. I thought .... now that I know what I have I can start getting well. It can be confusing and frustrating because what helps one person doesn't necessarily help another. You have to experiment and figure out what works best for you.

I wish I would have had this message board when I first got sick. I spent many years in denial and pushed myself way too much. I know what you mean about being tempted to give up.

Well, giving up and giving in is probably not the way to go. Don't give in, but learn to accept that you truly are ill. Don't push yourself too much. Take little rest breaks throughout the day, even if you are having a good day and you don't want to stop.

That is what has helped me the most.....rest, rest, rest. I know that is hard with a young family, but you will only harm yourself if you fake it and push yourself and do too much.

If you have CFIDS, take it easy with the exercise. Don't overdo it. There are many good suggestions on this post.

Blessings, Lolalee
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

Fibro is overwhelming when you find out what you have does not have a cure, just treatment.

I think you have to begin with acceptance of the diagnosis. It is like you say, overwhelming, because you know there has to be life changes made.

The first is beginning with pacing yourself to maintain some sort of energy level. You have to pace your work responsibilities of the day with rest time to recoup your energy and strength.

Make sure you are taking a good multi-mineral multi-vitamin. Eat well. Drink plenty of water. Also, if you can stay on the same sleep schedule, it helps.

This all will be difficult with a young family. You just have to accept that you can only do so much, and that you are doing the best that you can.

Work with your doc on meds that will help you without causing you to walk around half asleep during the day--which you can't do with young children.

The meds which have helped me the most have been Cymbalta, Neurotin, and Voltaren (for my arthritis pain). More than 30 mg of Cymbalta in the morning made me too sleepy during the day, so I now that another 30 mg at bedtime (total 60 mg/day to get a good benefit from the med--pain control, too). I also take a small dose of Zanaflex, a muscle relaxer at bedtime to help sleep.

If your children are old enough, start teaching them now to help pick up their toys, set the table, etc. to help you around the house. If you husband is understanding, hopefully he will help you with the children and housework as much as possible.

Relax in hot baths, or take hot showers - they help. Get a heating pad and use it on sore muscles while watching TV or rocking a child.

Pamper yourself as much as possible and don't sweat the small stuff. In the big picture of things, the little things don't matter, and neither does the house being perfect.

Having all your friends here at the board helps tremendously. You can come here to ask questions and/or to just vent about your day. We're always here for you.

I am so sorry that you have fibro, but here is one place where everybody understands, because we've all "been there, done that!"

Big hugs,
    Janet

10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

iT IS OK TO BE FEELING AS YOU ARE. yOU ARE JUST REACTING "NORMALLY" TO A TERRIBLE SITUATION OF CONSTANT PAIN AND ALONENESS. tHERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT APPROACHES TO fm, SOME USE MEDS, SOME MEDS AND DIET, SOME HERBS ETC.

yOU MUST JUST THINK WHICH ONE WOULD BE DOABLE FOR YOU. aLSO ONE THAT IS AFFORDABLE TOO.

sOMETIMES, THE BEST ACTION IS NO ACTION UNTIL YOU FEEL ABLE TO MAKE GOOD DECISIONS.

i DO HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER VERY SOON. tHIS SEEMS A REALLY HARD TIME FOR MOST PEOPLE HERE.

wHAT i DO FOR MY OWN PAIN IS EXERCISE, MASSAGE, TAKE GUAI(BUT NOT THE WHOLE PROTOCOL)AND ALSO tYLENOL AS NEEDED.

i HAVE ALSO FOUND AN IRRIGATOR otc FOR UNDER $6 FOR FLUSHING OUT THE SINUSES OVER THE SINK THAT HELPS WITH THE SINUS AND HEAD PAIN.

i EAT ORGANIC FOODS AND KEEP CHEMICALS OUT OF THE HOUSE AND PERSON-USE ECOVER TO WASH DISHES ETC. tHIS ALL SEEMS TO HELP SOME FOR ME, PLUS i THINK THAT FARES CREST AND SUBSIDE.

fEEL BETTER SOON. mUCH lOVE
    aNNE
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I always felt like I was being lazy.We aren't lazy.We HAVE to rest to have energy for the most important things:eek:ur husbands and family.To work exercise in,go to a YMCA that has a therapy pool.You'll get your exercise and it can be a family outing.Linda
  12. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Your posts mean soooo much to me. I really needed to hear all of your words. It takes a lot of the aloneness away.

I will definitely be puting you tips to use and give myself a break. I think because the diagnosis is so new I am still in the habit of thinking I just need to work hard, get everything done or I'm letting everyone down. It's even tempting to wonder if any of it is real.

I have been replacing my cupboards with organics but it is a process just to find which stores sell what.

I think there is just a big learning curve on this illness and I want it to go faster. Now that I know what's wrong I want to get better NOW. The acceptance is in living in the process I guess.

Thank you so much for responding to my desperation. It is so good to know others understand and care. Bless you all!

Sofia
  13. ritatheresa

ritatheresa New Member

I'm pretty new to this also and I have my moments of being completely overwhelmed.

Just knowing other people are going through this helps me tremendously, Each day brings new challenges, some good, some bad.

On this board I've seen stories of hope, strength and courage which inspires me not to give up. Some days are tempting to give up because I feel like I'm battling a never ending battle, but little things along the way show me that there is hope.

And your not doing it alone, there are so many like us, so many that came before us, and maybe one day you can shine the light for someone who is just learning of this DD and make there load alittle lighter to bear. Hang in there Sofia, you'll get through this, Ritatheresa