HELP! Is Anyone on Disability in the Los Angeles Area?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ksp56, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

My best friend lives in the valley and should be on disability.

Not only does she have pain with the fibro, but she also broke her tail bone over a year ago, and has back problems. I don't know how she works the hours she does and keeps her family goin. Count her DH as a third child.

Kath and I spoke last week and she said she was in such pain, but had to have some kind of money.

Has anyone been successful with a disability case? If so, would you please share your info for me. Where she needs to start, who did you think was a good lawyer. Paperwork, etc?

The one problem I can see is she would still have to pick up and take her girls to school and other lessons. Are they sticklers about this?

Any and all info will be much very appreciated.

Thanks,

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2005]
  2. justlooking

justlooking New Member

When I was unable to keep working, I filed for State Disability first. I had hoped I would feel better after a rest but that didn't happen.

I was on state disability for a year and all I needed was my Dr to agree I was unable to work and provide written support periodically. At the 6 month point they did send me to one of their Drs and he agreed I was unable to work.

After the state disability ran out and I knew I couldn't work because of my illnesses, I applied for SSDI. It took approximately 18 months to get after applying.

SSDI can be sticklers about having small children, but I have always put my kids in daycare or camp because I get too sick too often to have my kids all day long. The judge in my case brought up my children, who took care of them and how they got to and from places, and I was honest that it was a combination of people. He said he wanted to make sure I wasn't a stay at home mom looking to get paid. I had 10 years of medical evidence and a record of daycare and camp providers to show the judge and I won my case but my attorney told me it would probably be an issue brought up with SSDI and it was, probably the biggest issue they had with me and I was in my low 30s when I applied.

I wouldn't recommend my lawyer though because I thought he was a real jerk. But there are several Social Security Lawyers in Los Angeles to call but I would suggest your friend start with State disabililty and see how that goes. It can be a measure of how well an SSDI case would be and there isn't a waiting period with CA state disability.

Anyway hope this helped!
    Sincerely
    JL
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

This was TREMENDOUS help! I cannot wait to tell my friend!

Her girls are 14 and 16. Sixteen y/o does not have enough driving experience to be on your freeways. Yikes! They scare me! LOL Her husband flies to NYC every week. If it would go to SSDI, she might need to make other arrangements.

Her doctors do want her to quit. They would be willing to sign documents.

Thank you so much! This is great to find out!

Hugs,

Kim
  4. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Also since her kids are teenagers its unlikely to be an issue with SSDI. They are only concerned with small children who are too young to take care of their own needs and require 24/7 supervision.

Hope your friend gets the rest she needs! You are a good friend to look after her :)

Sincerely
    JL
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I will call Kathie this afternoon!

It would be great if she could qualify, She needs to be willing to change things in their lives that her salary makes possible. Hopefully, her health is what counts! Which I believe is the case.

If I have more questions, is it okay if I look for you again?

Thank you for sharing. You must be a kind and caring woman.

Hugs,

Kim

6. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I'm around most days checking the posts and I'm always happy to help if I can.

I believe Ca disability pays 2/3 of your salary at the highest point over the last year (something like that) with a cap at around $2000 a month. It may have changed in the last 5 years since I was on it though.

anyway hope your friend can use this info to help. Its so hard being sick, working, having a family.

Sincerely
    JL